Super Six fuel mileage

-
I doubt it. That's a bizarre mix of components, and there's that weasel word about how the car "should" get a particular level of fuel economy.

I have to agree since the poster didn't respond to my question.

When I had my 69 Dart 225 w/ 904 auto, I religiously recorded my mileage. I also verified the odometer was correct, against highway mileage markers. I got a consistent 22 mpg hwy at 60 mph. Speed limits were lower then.

22mpg on the highway in a well-tuned '69 Dart with 225/auto in reasonably close compliance with a 55mph speed limit is entirely believable.

The biggest problem w/ the slant six is poor fuel distribution between cylinders.

This is more of a problem with certain aftermarket manifold/carb setups than with the stock setup, which actually does a pretty good job of providing a rather even mixture to all six cylinders. Certainly better than any of the other-brand inline Sixes with their rake or log style intake manifolds!

Don't know if a TBI would help

TBI is a lot easier than port injection to retrofit, and would definitely be superior to carburetion as long as the hardware and firmware are good. Holley ProJection is garbage, as is the Holley hardware and Chrysler firmware used on the '88-'91 TBI Dodge trucks and vans (3.9, 5.2, 5.9). In the back of my mind I have thoughts of experimenting with an Offy twin 1bbl intake manifold with dual TBI throttle bodies from '87-up 2.2/2.5 engines.

TBI is a lot easier than port injection to retrofit, and would definitely be superior to carburetion as long as the hardware and firmware are good. Holley ProJection is garbage, as is the Holley hardware and Chrysler firmware used on the '88-'91 TBI Dodge trucks and vans (3.9, 5.2, 5.9). In the back of my mind I have thoughts of experimenting with an Offy twin 1bbl intake manifold with dual TBI throttle bodies from '87-up 2.2/2.5 engines.[/QUOTE]

Now that would be interesting conversion. How hard would to find a offy intake?

No, lol. See here.

wow dan i was way off lol!! well good to know!
saved

2bbl ball&ball carb. up jet 10%
fresh bottom end good valve job, cut .100" fromhead.
quick advance curve in dist. w/no vacuum advance. timing 38*
2.26 gears
should get 25 city 34 hwy.
also should drop 2 sec. in et.

you can drop two seconds with a slant all day... with nothing more than tuning the engine... my dart ran 20.20 and after 3 months of just playing with it i had a best of 18.3... 25 city isn't likely due to stop and go with those 2.26's... hwy maybe depending on the tq curve

I doubt it. That's a bizarre mix of components, and there's that weasel word about how the car "should" get a particular level of fuel economy.

lol

old tired rebel said:
Now that would be interesting conversion. How hard would to find a offy intake?

Very easy since they're still manufactured. Offy #5041. Nice big carb mounting pads.

Very easy since they're still manufactured. Offy #5041. Nice big carb mounting pads.

I see jegs has it but no picture the price is $359.99

Found this one at http://www.offyparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/209

offy_5041.JPG

the carbs are cheap... just gotta get a set to rebuild... i like the SU's tho... great carb if you take the time to figure them out... like a TQ (never even tried) lol

Yeah I guess I even have a hard time with my Holley. But the intake is what will be hard to find and expensive.

ok cool stuff going on here but im in to much pain to keep up with u guys so i stoped by to say hi and later so hi kid, dan, and cliff

i have a '64 /6 engine with a 4 barrel carb and a 904 auto trans. my car gets aprox 18mpg street and 20 mpg highway. pretty good for a four barrel carb. my daily driver.

My friend has a 70 challenger convert with a single barrel carb and a stock /6 engine and 904 auto trans. he gets 22mpg street and 25 highway.

i have a '64 /6 engine with a 4 barrel carb and a 904 auto trans. my car gets aprox 18mpg street and 20 mpg highway. pretty good for a four barrel carb. my daily driver.

My friend has a 70 challenger convert with a single barrel carb and a stock /6 engine and 904 auto trans. he gets 22mpg street and 25 highway.

Those are respectable numbers.

This one? http://www.hotsixes.com/index.php?p...&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

How will this work with mileage or can it work with FI?

thats the trip version of what i was thinking... it would work great as long as you can keep the carbs tuned and keep your foot out of it!

ok cool stuff going on here but im in to much pain to keep up with u guys so i stoped by to say hi and later so hi kid, dan, and cliff

lol ok HI!

thats the trip version of what i was thinking... it would work great as long as you can keep the carbs tuned and keep your foot out of it!
Ok dumb question. Are Su carbs good for mileage and what other uses?

the early "round top" SU's were standard for 240z's thru 73 or 74... then they went to a junk copy...

the SU is based off i think a constant metering system (or something of the nature) it has a slide in it like the motorcycle carbs...

if tuned properly and oiled correctly they are a GREAT carb and great milage comes with it...

the early "round top" SU's were standard for 240z's thru 73 or 74... then they went to a junk copy...

the SU is based off i think a constant metering system (or something of the nature) it has a slide in it like the motorcycle carbs...

if tuned properly and oiled correctly they are a GREAT carb and great milage comes with it...

Oiled?

-
Back