Swapping 1964 plymouth Vailant from automatic to 4 speed

-

64whiteghost

Reaction score
Whats up guys. thank you for all the help you have given me.

So my car originally is a push button automatic. Will I need to swap the transmission crossmember ? If so is there is a dual exhaust version that I can install to allow the exhaust pipes to flow tighter to the body ?

Sweet !!! thank you !

Yea Im running long tube headers so I will need that mod.

@cosgig used to keep some early A cross members in stock, that he has already converted to open the passenger side up so you can put duals on. Hopefully he will chime in with an update on that.

:thumbsup:

No questions on the rest of the things you have to do with that changeover?

No questions on the rest of the things you have to do with that changeover?
No. I already figured out everything else. Been researching and called Brewers to guide me on the type of bell housing and parts i need to convert it.

What are your suggestions ?

I assume Brewers has given you what you need to know whether you use stock '64-6 parts, or, convert to the '67-up stuff. It's possible that your crank isn't machined for a stock pilot bushing, but, that will depend on the crank used. If it's a 273 forged crank from an automatic, you'll need to either drill the hole to the correct size, or, hone it smooth and cut down a bushing to fit. If it's a 318/340/360 crank that isn't machined for a pilot bushing, just use a Magnum pilot BEARING. Naturally, you'll have some floor/hump work to do. Have fun!

@cudamark
Here's a question that may help both the OP and myself, as I'm swapping my 65 Barracuda to a 4 speed. If an Early A came with an automatic, does it have a hole for a clutch rod already there like the later A bodies? All the later ones came with the hole, which has a plastic plug in it if the car has an automatic. My Barracuda's engine bay is still greasy and grimy, and I haven't noticed a plugged hole for the clutch rod.....but it may be under the muck.

Be aware that Dart and Valiant are 2 different wheelbases so the Dart driveshaft is longer than a Valiant.
That will depend on the years and models involved, and how they're equipped. It has to do with the length. A '66 Dart S.W. for instance uses the same driveshaft as some '66 Valiants/Barracudas. It's just a matter of length.

That will depend on the years and models involved, and how they're equipped. It has to do with the length. A '66 Dart S.W. for instance uses the same driveshaft as some '66 Valiants/Barracudas. It's just a matter of length.
Yes I should have included that all north American Abody wagons are on 106-inch wheelbase also Canadian cars are on 111-inch wheelbases except wagons which are 106 inch. I believe the original post was for 63-66 early A bodies.

-
Back