Swapping to 5 on 4.5 pattern with Swap Meet/Junkyard parts?

-

fastmerc

Reaction score
Newbie here, pardon the question repeat if so....search failed me. Have been doing this sort of thing on Fords for years, but this is my first Mopar, hoping for something easy....

I would like to change over to the 5 on 4.5" wheel pattern on a 71 Demon. (Saw it on a local 72 Duster and liked it....) Also a friend gave me a very nice set of later model 5 slot rims with track tires, which I found do not fit so well on the A-body small lug pattern.............and I'd like to run them.....without buying new wheels. (I can then swap them between "other" cars also!)

SO, what is the hot ticket for swapping on rotors with the larger bolt pattern??? I'm presuming K-H supplied brakes.....so calipers could potentially be the same, spindle spacing, maybe...hoping so.... and wondering if swapping on a set of the larger pattern 73-74ish rotors is as simple as dropping the caliper, pulling cotter pin and yanking old off, push new on...and reinstall caliper?

Same goes out back. Is there a factory axle(s), again perhaps the 73-74 A-body parts or some B-body parts that slip right in with little fuss??? Or are we talking a forklift swap, or totally custom axles??? (ie redrilled)

Thanks in advance!
Steve

SO, what is the hot ticket for swapping on rotors with the larger bolt pattern??? I'm presuming K-H supplied brakes.....so calipers could potentially be the same, spindle spacing, maybe...hoping so.... and wondering if swapping on a set of the larger pattern 73-74ish rotors is as simple as dropping the caliper, pulling cotter pin and yanking old off, push new on...and reinstall caliper?

There are aftermarket kits you can get to go from SBP to BBP front disc brakes. As far as I know, all KH brakes are SBP. The most cost effective way is to swap in 73+ front discs. It is not a plug-and-play deal. In addition to the rotors you will need the spindles, calipers, dust shields, and upper control arms too. The flexible brake lines need to be swapped out too for some longer ones as the calipers mount facing forwards instead of backwards.

Same goes out back. Is there a factory axle(s), again perhaps the 73-74 A-body parts or some B-body parts that slip right in with little fuss??? Or are we talking a forklift swap, or totally custom axles??? (ie redrilled)

We can't help you with the rear axle until we know which one you have. If you don't know, take a photo of it from the backside and post it here. There are no B-body parts that slip in, they are all wider than an A-body.

halfafish,
OK! Did not see the upper arm replacement coming! SO, entire spindle, upper arm, and "everything" else swap! That's doable.

Rear axle...hmmmm, gonna hafta go for the picture. I know it's a sure trac with about a 3.55 in it IIRC. But that doesn't give you the housing type. Fords were easy if you could find station wagon axles.....they tended to be full size right up to the splines...(no neck downs)... Shortening was as easy as trimming to length and then resplining! Could NOT do that to all axles! Of course old stationwagons are just falling out of trees around here these days....! Kinda like 73 A-bodies! Not so many of either!!!

Thanks a heap! Getting that shopping list ready!
Steve

Have your rear axles and drums drilled . much cheaper and You'll get a better tire fit. Second pic is when the motor was being swapped

DSCN1673.jpg

14.jpg

When swapping to the later large pattern brakes, the front track will get wider, usually by about .375" per side. What is he backspacing of the rims you have and want to run? A lot of old school wheels are Zero to to -12mm offset, meaning they will stick out, not in.

Oldmanmopar,
Thanks for the info and pic's! Not sure I'll be doing a motor swap just yet, but dropping everything out the bottom sure looks like a sweet way go go.....

Dano- That 3/8" per side is fairly significant! I'm either going to run the later 5 slot Mopar wheels or the BBP ralleys...I do like the look but would like the larger width rims for tire fitment and stance.

Professor- Great old article on the older KH rotor refit! I would have thought that K-H would have produced one rotor with one bearing spacing and the OEMs simply changed their spindles to match....but I guess it's the other way around....."make this for us"......

I need to look at the single piston calipers that I do have.....I now wonder if they are the same as used in 73, just flipped from side to side to place them fore or aft of the rotor?

Cheers!
Steve

Oldmanmopar,
Thanks for the info and pic's! Not sure I'll be doing a motor swap just yet, but dropping everything out the bottom sure looks like a sweet way go go.....

Dano- That 3/8" per side is fairly significant! I'm either going to run the later 5 slot Mopar wheels or the BBP ralleys...I do like the look but would like the larger width rims for tire fitment and stance.

Professor- Great old article on the older KH rotor refit! I would have thought that K-H would have produced one rotor with one bearing spacing and the OEMs simply changed their spindles to match....but I guess it's the other way around....."make this for us"......

I need to look at the single piston calipers that I do have.....I now wonder if they are the same as used in 73, just flipped from side to side to place them fore or aft of the rotor?

Cheers!
Steve

Since you have a Demon, factory Police or Rallies should be OK. I think they have a +6mm offset. Always check.

-
Back