T-56 MAGNUM conversion

-
I bought the setup available from Bruce at Modern Driveline.
I think Gray at American Powertrain also has a nice setup.
Take a look and see which one you like better. We did spend quite a bit of time getting this part of the conversion just the way we wanted.
Does that help??
Thanks for the interest!!!

Todd

Do you have a direct bolt in set up for the clutch master cylinder?

its pointed me in the right direction I hope to be starting this project in January.

thanks again

I picked up my parts from the powder coat shop.

I am planning to test fit these to the 63 Valiant....

More info soon... along with pictures!!!

Thanks.... Todd

Attachments

• 63-76Abodymount.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 63-76Abodymount2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 63-76Abodymount3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 573
  • 63-76Abodymount4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 668
Here is an update on this conversion. We checked the fitment of our parts with the longer style T-56 Magnums, (GM, AND VIPER). These trannies move the bulky part of the transmission rearward nearly an inch..... The result... They do NOT work with my mounts.
With our A-bodies torsion bar support frame being some 4 to 5 inches further forward compared to the E and B body Mopars, you must use the Ford Spec. T-56 Magnum.
I just want to share as much info as possible to make this conversion trouble free!!!!!

Here is an update on this conversion. We checked the fitment of our parts with the longer style T-56 Magnums, (GM, AND VIPER). These trannies move the bulky part of the transmission rearward nearly an inch..... The result... They do NOT work with my mounts.
With our A-bodies torsion bar support frame being some 4 to 5 inches further forward compared to the E and B body Mopars, you must use the Ford Spec. T-56 Magnum.
I just want to share as much info as possible to make this conversion trouble free!!!!!

Todd,

There have to be about a dozen T56 transmissions out there. Tremec alone lists 10 with no mention of the Viper; look under the "Technical Specifications" tab: http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=104

The OEM Viper T56 like "72BBSwinger" has is, as he measured, 27 5/8" to the mount. Looks like: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969437467&postcount=61

The OEM LS1 looks the same or similar.

Tremec sells four "aftermarket" T-56 Magnum transmissions that I know of. They have different external dimensions than the OEM transmissions.
Two have the Ford bell housing bolt pattern, two have the LS1/Viper bell housing bolt pattern. One of each as the 0.50 sixth gear, one of each has the 0.62 sixth gear.

The Ford pattern transmission has a shallower bell housing and a shorter input shaft. Ford = 5.64", Viper/LS1 = 6.46". Yet the distance from tip on the input to the mount centerline is 26.6" verses 26.3", which only differs by 0.3". See the following chart for the dimensions:
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/3537/T56_Magnum_Dimensions.jpg

The GM/Viper bolt pattern are part numbers TUET11009 for close ratio with 0.62 sixth, and TUET11012 for wider ratio with 0.50 sixth. Ford bolt pattern are part numbers TUET11010 for close ratio with 0.62 sixth, and TUET11011 for the wider ratio with 0.50 sixth.

Looks to me like both aftermarket versions may work just fine with your mount. The gentlemen at APT insisted that the LS1/Viper bolt pattern version gave me a better bell housing and clutch arrangement for my 440. We will know soon enough! Next week I can get you the distance from the block to the mount and block to the shifter on my 440.

Looks to me like both aftermarket versions may work just fine with your mount.

OK... regarding the GM version of the aftermarket T-56 Magnum. Well, the torsion bar bridge worked fine as is. The transmission cross member required some "minor" adjusting.

It is in there now! Console is a no-go in anything resembling the stock location.

Here is Sam burning it in.

Attachments

• P82A0231.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 462
You definitely want the LS version for bellhousing availability. Plus you can use a factory Viper slave cylinder. A 7/8" bore master has been flawless on mine with the Viper slave.

Does it have to be a magnum series? Could i use a regular LS T56 in this setup??

-
Back