T/A Heads

-
T/A heads are 915 castings. (the casting number ends with 915)

But...... so are later 340 & 360 heads, even on the 2-barrel engines.

The only unique thing is the intake push rod holes were drilled offset for the T/A rocker gear.

The heads are not hard to find, but the rocker gear is, so that limits the head value.

No aftermarket company makes rockers with the proper offset for these heads yet.

Which could be why someone spaced the W2 rockers to work. They are much easier to find.

A6CECCAC-540D-471B-A582-8CA7928A2960.jpeg
055AB7C0-6294-4351-BDA9-25612237AFB6.jpeg
A1667152-A6CA-441A-9D1C-77C42D757FEA.jpeg
12B69ADF-0534-4F7D-93D4-C05E554BF5A9.jpeg

Well those are 915 heads, so either 340 360 or ta heads. Those pushrod holes dont have much meat to them? I'm not well versed in ta headz tho.

Well those are 915 heads, so either 340 360 or ta heads. Those pushrod holes dont have much meat to them? I'm not well versed in ta headz tho.

They match Tony's picture dead on. They're TA heads alright. As is, they flow no better than any other smog era heads with big valves. But they were made to be ported and take advantage of the relocated pushrod holes. They can flow really well ported. That was the whole idea.

Yeah the pushrod holes arent "wallered" out, so offset is factory.
They match Tony's picture dead on. They're TA heads alright. As is, they flow no better than any other smog era heads with big valves. But they were made to be ported and take advantage of the relocated pushrod holes. They can flow really well ported. That was the whole idea.

@MOPAROFFICIAL made what I consider a fair offer. I say that because much more than what he offered and you can get into Trick Flow or even W2 territory, both of which can seriously outflow the TA heads. SO then, that leaves you with finding that small segment that want them for restoration purposes if you're looking for more money. Just food for thought. All that......PLUS they ARE 50 plus year old castings. I'm not knocking them at all mind you, just kinda layin it out there.

340 T/A and the holes have been ground out at the top at a angle for the W2 rockers.

340 T/A and the holes have been ground out at the top at a angle for the W2 rockers.

It does appear so. But I look at that as probably someone using what they had or could find......not necessarily a bad thing. The rockers are clearly spaced right with the roller directly over the valve stems, so I'm callin that a good mod.

To the OP, have the heads been ported? Can you post good pictures of the intake and exhaust ports?

It does appear so. But I look at that as probably someone using what they had or could find......not necessarily a bad thing. The rockers are clearly spaced right with the roller directly over the valve stems, so I'm callin that a good mod.

To the OP, have the heads been ported? Can you post good pictures of the intake and exhaust ports?

image.jpg

Those appear as cast. That will be a decent pair of heads for someone if you're still lookin to sell.

Between the exhaust ports there is a big letter cast in. Are they U, O, or J? What size intake valve? 1.88 or 2.02?

It does appear so. But I look at that as probably someone using what they had or could find......not necessarily a bad thing. The rockers are clearly spaced right with the roller directly over the valve stems, so I'm callin that a good mod. ..

The valve tips may be inline but the W2 rockers will put the pushrods in a less favorable angle.
Correct me if I am wrong ?

Oops. Put my text in your quote

Oops. Put my text in your quote

That's why whoever had them reshaped the pushrod holes a little. It's really a non offending mod. I wouldn't sweat it.

I have always understood the drawback to W2s is the pushrod angle created by the offset rockers. It is not just the angles but the extra length adds weight and effects rocker ratio/cam dynamics. The excellent flow potential of the heads makes it worth while though....
To add the rocker issues to a head without the flow seems to be counter productive.

I have always understood the drawback to W2s is the pushrod angle created by the offset rockers. It is not just the angles but the extra length adds weight and effects rocker ratio/cam dynamics. The excellent flow potential of the heads makes it worth while though....
To add the rocker issues to a head without the flow seems to be counter productive.

I ran a set of t/a heads with w2rockers on a pump gas 340 for about 10 years made 339 hp @ rear wheel.with a 557 cam.best of 7.17 same short block with la heads and a 508 hydralic had best of 8.38. built same short block again with econo heads best 7.09 . I sold the first 340 with the t/a heads for$2500 without oil pan . that should give a idea of worth.probably worth more if no porting work has been done.

I ran a set of t/a heads with w2rockers on a pump gas 340 for about 10 years made 339 hp @ rear wheel.with a 557 cam.best of 7.17 same short block with la heads and a 508 hydralic had best of 8.38. built same short block again with econo heads best 7.09 . I sold the first 340 with the t/a heads for$2500 without oil pan . that should give a idea of worth.probably worth more if no porting work has been done.
Jerry, press reply, wait for the page to load, scroll down to the quoted message, type your reply under or above the quote tags surrounded by the brackets, [ ].
:thumbsup:

-
Back