TACH location

-
Hey pagilman -
Sorry, don't have any photos 'cause this description is how I mounted the tach in my '69 340 Swinger 38 years ago - guess that means I'm gettin' old!
Anyway, I mounted my tach to the drivers-side sunvisor mount. Great eyelevel view with tach in upper left-hand corner of the windshield.
Wired it with a 4-prong male/female plug setup for ease. Actually turned out good 'cause I got stopped by CHP one day and busted with a 'fix-it' ticket 'cause he claimed it obstructed my view of the road (only thing it obstructed was my view of tree tops and flying birds).
Drove into the CHP parking lot, unplugged it and put it in my glove box. Got one the officers to come out and see it was gone so he could write off the 'fix-it' ticket. Waited until he went back inside, took the tach out of the glovebox, plugged it back in, fired up the 340 and rumbled out of the parking lot.
'New' '69 Dart now in construction will have the tach in the Rocky Mountain dash (yeah, I know they're out of business now but I already have the dash) and just a shift light either on the dash or someother non-blinding location.

IMG00027.jpg

Shift light with digital setting. Tach in stock cut out location 70 Dart 340 4spd

IMG00027.jpg

My thought's are that a tach should be within eye site without turning the head. You must keep your head straight ahead to insure control. I saw a couple of guys had built a mount that fit around the dash pad to place the tach where you want it without destroying the dash pad. It has been many years since I've seen it done but that is great. Way too many use to just screw them to the dash pad with no thought of what was to be in a few years. Another problem is that placement in some positions causes the tach to be hidden by the spokes of the steering wheel which leaves you to where you might as well not have one. Honestly, the tach could be hidden from normal view but put a shift light in major view.

Just thinking out loud.

My thought's are that a tach should be within eye site without turning the head. You must keep your head straight ahead to insure control. I saw a couple of guys had built a mount that fit around the dash pad to place the tach where you want it without destroying the dash pad. It has been many years since I've seen it done but that is great. Way too many use to just screw them to the dash pad with no thought of what was to be in a few years. Another problem is that placement in some positions causes the tach to be hidden by the spokes of the steering wheel which leaves you to where you might as well not have one. Honestly, the tach could be hidden from normal view but put a shift light in major view.

Just thinking out loud.

If you can't see that light up and tell you when you need to shift you probably shouldn't be driving. I don't understand why anyone needs a big *** 5" monster tach in there cars. To my understanding and watching Pinks they don't look at the numbers but shift with the light. I always thought you shift where your motor makes the most HP/TQ anyways. With the shift light your tach could be 2" lol

I don't drag race so I use my tach for tuning, see where I'm idleing, and a occasional burn out. The rev limiter is set at 6000RPM so I don't have to worry about it to much. When I do a burn out I can here the rev limiter kick in so I back off a little on the throttle.

Mullinax95,

I hope to someday have a sweet looking dash like yours.............

Looks awsome for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went with the 3" tach from Autometer. No problems seeing it at the track. Jysnflem

interior.jpg

Mullinax95,

I hope to someday have a sweet looking dash like yours.............

Looks awsome for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you sir. You will... time and not throwing the damn cluster housing against the wall worked for me:toothy10:. Those are AutoMeter MCX series 5" gauges. It took some work to get them to fit properly. The job went fairly smooth considering I rewired the car while I was at it. Fuse panel is now located in the glove box.

Here is a few more.

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01994.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

Thank you sir. You will... time and not throwing the damn cluster housing against the wall worked for me:toothy10:. Those are AutoMeter MCX series 5" gauges. It took some work to get them to fit properly. The job went fairly smooth considering I rewired the car while I was at it. Fuse panel is now located in the glove box.

Here is a few more.

Hey Mullinax, is that a hurst shifter that you are using with your 4 speed? i really like how it looks...whats the model name of it?

thanks
Matthew

Hey Mullinax, is that a hurst shifter that you are using with your 4 speed? i really like how it looks...whats the model name of it?

thanks
Matthew

I really couldn't tell you. I have had it out before and it has Hurst wrote on the main shifter housing. Now it used to have a T-handle reverse lock out on it but I cut it off and bought a oval shifter boot and chrome bezel. It looks ten times better than it did with the red T-handle sticking up. I have been told that the Inland shifter is the only one with the T-handle lockout but it DOES have Hurst stamped on it soooo I don't know the model name. It was in the car when I bought it.

-
Back