Tachometer wiring

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
I am adding an aftermarket tach to my car that did not have one from the factory. I am not knowlegable about wiring. The wire to the coil and the ground wire I can handle. Looks like I need a 12v switched ignition source and another wire to light switch for the internal tach illumination (not shift light). How and where do I do this without hacking into my harness? Thanks!

Fuse block.
IIRC, approximately half are ignition switched and half are not. Check with a volt meter.

The factory tach wiring had a fuse clip on one wire that went into the accessory slot of the fuse box where there isn't typically a clip or fuse present. So if you can find a clip to place there you could hook it up just like OEM. Surely someone has a part donor fuse box. Or.... you could tap into the blue white tracer from ignition switch that feeds the inst' panel, ignition, etc.., and use a inline fuse holder. Which ever is most convenient/practical I guess.

Fuse block.
IIRC, approximately half are ignition switched and half are not. Check with a volt meter.

Also if you pull the fuse block down there are usually extra blade style connections on some of the terminals on the back side.

Back light for tach should be sourced from the dash light circuit, so it goes on when you turn on the lights at night.

Back light for tach should be sourced from the dash light circuit, so it goes on when you turn on the lights at night.

..........And you can get that in the fuse block as well. All the way to one end, the "INST" fuse, a whole bunch of orange wires, these are the dash dimmer controlled wiring distributed to the dash lighting.

As Steve mentioned, YOU NEED to go to MyMopar and download a service manual

In this model, Those "extra" male spade terminals are there only because of the way the buss bar was formed. They would cut the bar material to any length and have minimum of 1 connection point. Anyway... Those unused terminals are not on the fused/line out side. You can pick up switched 12 volt there but a inline fuse is still req'd. A much later model might have a unused terminal on the fused/line out side at orange or yellow wire circuits.
You could get the illumination with a T-tap wherever the orange wire is handy/accessible. Radio, ashtray, etc...

-
Back