Tail Lamps do not work

-

jwh70valiant

Reaction score
On my 1970 Valiant, the Brake lights, turnsignals and headlights all work fine. However, the rear tail lamps and license plate lamp do not work. I have checked the fuses, which are all good, as well ast the wiring, which does not seem to be grounded out. Has anyone else had this problem?

There are two things to check on the lights - are they getting 12v and are they grounded.
Try removing one of the bulbs and use a meter or test light to see if it's getting the 12v. Since three lights are affected, you can just test the one that's easiest to get to.

Can you tell if the dash lights are working? If they are also not working you have a blown fuse and should double check them! Maybe a bad wire if it's just the rear lights.

It might be the headlight switch. I have seen this happen several times. Headlights working and tail lights not. I would put money on it if I were a betting man.

It might be the headlight switch. I have seen this happen several times. Headlights working and tail lights not. I would put money on it if I were a betting man.
This happened on my Omni(which almost uses the same style of switch)Turn signals and headlights worked,but dash,tailights did not.Replaced the switch and worked again.

thanks everyone!

There was a short in the head light switched; found one in a junkyard, replaced and the problem was solved. Thanks!

-
Back