Tailpipe opinion

-
Did you move the rear shackle in also or leave those where they were
Yes, I did move the shackles inboard. My leaf springs are nearly flat, so the stock rear location was wrong anyway. I remember doing something fishy back there with a welder, but due to that being 24 years ago, I forget what it was.
Getting alongside the tank with those dual 3" cannons was a bit of a challenge, but centering the tank and rolling the tank seam was all it needed. I actually had a generous amount of extra room

The generation that looked like the 1970 Nova, is on my list of all-time favorite looking Chevy cars.
Like the 71 Demon is to Dodge. But I wouldn't put Nova pipes on a Demon, no way in hell.
But I can imagine Nova pipes on Darts.

Because of the relocated springs I’ll make some new brackets to mount them
Don't know how far you moved your springs, but for the 3/4 inch shift (see offset shackles) all it took was a longer bolt for the hanger and a wad of fender washers (wide to make it stiff).

DSC03317.JPG

DSC04095.JPG

DSC03315.JPG

By the way, these are the "right" tips for your car - long box, short bullet - designed for 1970 340 Swinger, so one year only. There used to be a company that made them out of stainless with any inlet, but they went out of business. Been searching for a new source for years. Long bullet, short box are for A-bodies with no valance, just a bumper.

This is what I cannot STAND. If this is how you run your pipes, sorry, that's just stupid looking. The stock tips under the bumper are ok, but this right here......STUPID.

STUPID.jpg

I remember at the ripe old age of 19 installing my first headers on my Dart, taking it to a pipe shop and having them install tailpipes like that... maybe even longer. Long enough that every time I walked around the back of the car I barked my shins on them :lol:

Don't know how far you moved your springs, but for the 3/4 inch shift (see offset shackles) all it took was a longer bolt for the hanger and a wad of fender washers (wide to make it stiff).

View attachment 1716217300

View attachment 1716217301

View attachment 1716217299

By the way, these are the "right" tips for your car - long box, short bullet - designed for 1970 340 Swinger, so one year only. There used to be a company that made them out of stainless with any inlet, but they went out of business. Been searching for a new source for years. Long bullet, short box are for A-bodies with no valance, just a bumper.
I have a full 3” inboard kit with mini tubs. I’ll need to come up some ideas to mount the brackets

This is what I cannot STAND. If this is how you run your pipes, sorry, that's just stupid looking. The stock tips under the bumper are ok, but this right here......STUPID.

View attachment 1716217317
Rusty,

Good thing you're not coming to Stillwater this spring then!

:lol:

(Edit: I forgot to add, but I removed Bazza's trailer hitch when it was here, otherwise it would look almost damn near identical to that green Swinger above!)

Rusty,

Good thing you're not coming to Stillwater this spring then!

:lol:

(Edit: I forgot to add, but I removed Bazza's trailer hitch when it was here, otherwise it would look almost damn near identical to that green Swinger above!)

I could put up with it to meet a new friend.

I have a full 3” inboard kit with mini tubs. I’ll need to come up some ideas to mount the brackets
I once saw an exhaust, where the pipes had come up over the axle, then sideways between the frame and the spring, then out the back on the outboard side of the springs. I thought it was pretty clever.

I once saw an exhaust, where the pipes had come up over the axle, then sideways between the frame and the spring, then out the back on the outboard side of the springs. I thought it was pretty clever.
That’s exactly how I’m going to have mine done. Although, The tips won’t be in the exact factory location. They’ll be black so it won’t be so noticeable.

This is how it rides until I find the Right tips as I am no Rush to screw this up! (with the exception of the jack stand and all the crap around it) Figuratively

IMG_20190403_142215 (2).jpg

That’s exactly how I’m going to have mine done. Although, The tips won’t be in the exact factory location. They’ll be black so it won’t be so noticeable.

My son's got offset, minitubs, 2 1/2 beside the tank out between the frame and spring, back in, and the mounts/tailpipes are about an inch from stock location.He did say " if I could do it again" - but no rattles.

IMG_20230713_154743_569.jpg

IMG_20230713_154802_331.jpg

My son's got offset, minitubs, 2 1/2 beside the tank out between the frame and spring, back in, and the mounts/tailpipes are about an inch from stock location.He did say " if I could do it again" - but no rattles.

View attachment 1716218247

View attachment 1716218249
I like that idea. I’ll need to check if I have room to bring the exhaust to the inside of the frame/spring.

Last edited:
I like that idea. I’ll need to check if I have room to bring the to the inside of the frame/spring.

He loosened the tank straps and shifted it to best position, and folded tank corner a bit .
It was a bit messy, proto type, so to speak.

how ours ended up.. would have liked to trim them a bit more but the hanger was in the way and i didn't feel like screwing with them any more at the time. went with turn downs because i didn't think chrome tips went with the theme of the car.

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

Some C bodies run them that way and exit at the corner of the bumper. Pretty sure the wagons did that so maybe b body wagons also.
There are some listed like that on the Tti website.
I want to run it that way on my 72 Newport but don't want to pay what they want for tailpipes. Especially being I have a set of B body Flowmaster mandrel bent tailpipes that will work as well. Just add a little extra pipe and the tips.

The wagon tail pipes were run to the side so carbon monoxide wasn't sucked in the car if you ran with the rear window down.

-
Back