tappet adjusters excess play

-
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am a newcomer and I thank you all for guesting me on this forum.

I have a '58 Belvedere (almost daily driven since 35 years now) 4DRHT with the power pak option.

I have a problem with the tappet adjusters... Some of the adjuster screws have lost they snug fit into the rocker arm and don't hold the setting.

I will try to attach a couple of pics.

I thought that a moderate blow on the side of the rocker arm (in a vice, of course) could restore the snug fit..... or it's just a crazy idea?

Any hint?

Previously I put some thread locker on the adjuster thread but this stopped the oil supply to the cup of the pushrod, resulting ina worn out pushrod cup.....

thanks for any help !!!

rocker arm.jpg

rocker arm point.jpg

The "screws" can be replaced with a locknut and new "screw". The rocker would need to be ground on slightly to give a flat surface for locknut. That's what I did.

Sometimes you can restore the press fit by laying the rocker on its side, with no adjuster in it and giving it a whack with a hammer. Don’t go too far. The best solution is to have the rockers machined for a lock nut and never worry about it again.

The "screws" can be replaced with a locknut and new "screw". The rocker would need to be ground on slightly to give a flat surface for locknut. That's what I did.
Treed me by 3 seconds

Sometimes you can restore the press fit by laying the rocker on its side, with no adjuster in it and giving it a whack with a hammer. Don’t go too far. The best solution is to have the rockers machined for a lock nut and never worry about it again.
Yes that's what I was thinking.
Thanks for having already done it.
I am reassured.
I will try that a little at a time.
thanks again.

I have done that a time or two. It works.

You might try your hammer blows at the BOTTOM corner of the bolt hole. That way, you don't distort the top of the hole so the adjuster can't start. Just small taps at the time.

I would think a center punch to the side with the adjuster installed would create enough pressure to hold.

Another fix is medium grade Loctite. Remove adjuster & clean adj & threads with Lacquer Thinner first.

You may enjoy this, road testers raved about the 58 Plym. 318 Poly & 2bbl, did 118 mph!

img308.jpg

Another fix is medium grade Loctite. Remove adjuster & clean adj & threads with Lacquer Thinner first.

You may enjoy this, road testers raved about the 58 Plym. 318 Poly & 2bbl, did 118 mph!

View attachment 1716313732
I did put loctite, in an emergency attempt.
But I found the particular pushrod cup worn more than the others.
I have the feeling that the oil passes throught the threads and lubricate the pushrod cup........

WHile I agree the center punch might be a viable option, those rockers are made out of ductile iron, which is very hard and brittle. The center punch might actually concentrate the blow too much and chip or crack the rocker arm. I'd be extra careful if you decide to use it.

I would just get new adjuster screws, and mod the rockers for lock nuts. I never cared for the interference fit setup.
Crack or bust a rocker from beating on it, and you'll regret it.

I would just get new adjuster screws, and mod the rockers for lock nuts. I never cared for the interference fit setup.
Crack or bust a rocker from beating on it, and you'll regret it.
For security, the spot face with a lock nut is the way to go. Although, millions of rockers cycled for hundreds of thousands of miles with out issues.

-
Back