TCI Transmission is bad

-
My StreetFighter Converter lasted 2K miles. On street driving whit A 383......
F..king funny.

Why are they making this crap?

K-E

Theres a reason why they're know as T otal C rap I ncorporated..my tranny lasted less then a week..nothing but junk!!!

My brand new tci tq convertor sat new a box for three years. Now my car is ready to go and you guessed it.... the convertor is bad. Called them and they won't do anything.

i think iv possibly blown a TCI converter (6 months old 200miles 40 passes)
whats the symptoms?

I have one of their ratchet shifters on another car..or should I say second one...it doesn't work correctly all the time...and this should be a simple thing..figure I am going to replace it in the future...though TC!I was a good company.

Yeah i spoke to a parts vendor tonight who said TCI was bought out by Comp cams and has changed everything. he went there for a site visit and was very impressed with what he saw. He said their warranty rate is less than 3% And not one return this year, and he sells a ton of TCI products. So thats a great sign.

I put a TCI 727 "Street Rodder" transmission and a TCI "Breakaway" converter in my 340 Dart about 6 years ago. No problems at all. Maybe they were still making good stuff in 2008?

You all had your say so now, I can say this..

25 years ago I had Dynamic build me a 727 reverse manual valve body with one of their convertors.. They gave me a 1 year unconditional guarantee if anything what so ever should go bad, they would replace it.. This trans has been in my Signet 25 years and I've gone through 4 engines and it still shifts like there is no tomorrow...

Say what you want yet, they still stand behind their work and many a race car use them, I would never go anywhere else.

.....i was think'n about get'n a tci transmissions and now, i thnk im gonna hold off for a few......

Build it yourself. I'm going to give it a shot on mine. From everything I have read it's a pretty simple deal.

A little late with this post, but thought I'd put my .02 cents worth in !! When I built up my 6pak attack slant 6, I believe in over kill, and after reading their adds and calling to talk with them, I decided to go with SMR Transmissions ! Pat was awesome to deal with, very knowledgeable of his product as well as our TF's ! Went with a reverse manual valve body, 3500 stall Converter and also a Gear Vender OD unit !! Sold the Dart, but the Tranny and OD are still working like a champ as I see Mark on a regular basis ! Wanting to go with the OD again, so it looks like I'll be heading back to SMR as I had a great relationship with Pat there !

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/index.html

Here is another update. TCI is worthless to deal with!! Did not send the trans to them, shipping cost way to much. Plus if they would not repair it. I am out of a trans to rebuild. Took it to a place called Auto Tech. They have done transmissions for a few other Mopar drag racers. Told me the clutches were not set right, the accumilator has a seal missing, the pump was bad even with the front bushing coming loose, and wiped out the bands. $850 to repair.

You should have documented the tear down with a video or photos at the time of disassembly to show TCI the poor workmanship which lead to failure.

ahh transmissions... i used to smoke the heck out of them in my cuda in HS.... every few months or so.... neutral drops were fun....till they broke...

I must be in the minority then.I bought a street fighter trans and converter many years ago (10+) and put in my 70 Polara with a Big Block(440 then 496).I did sell the converter a few years later to go with a custom one.
I did have a stuck valve in the valve body upon first install.We talked with them over the phone and decided to fix it ourselves.I would have to check the mileage but I would say 20k later and the trans is fine.Lots of abuse from drag radial passes to major burnouts on the street with 550+ lb ft of torque in a 4500 lb C body.
I have used CRT converters with good luck and Turbo Action as well.The last three converters I have had built are from Pat at SMR trans.Will deal with nobody else if I have a choice.Sure there are other reputable companies but until he lets me down I will stay with him.
Who I will not use......Dynamic,PERIOD.They missed the mark horribly on my converter and building my trans in my charger.

Whew, i just finished reading all these posts. I rebuilt my first 904 in 1980. I had never done a trans before so I was lucky it worked. I had no idea what anything was (pre-internet), but a friend bought the parts and asked me to give it a shot. I figured wth. So, I don't know how many Torkflites I've done since then, everything from slant 904 to bb 727 , shift kits, bolt in sprags...lotsa bench jobs. One thing I do that I've never heard of any other rebuilder doing is packing the pump gears with grease so the the center gear stays centered and assemble the pump over a converter so it's ready to slide in the converter. Otherwise that center gear will flop around and the converter will never go in. This business of "clicking and clunking" the converter is rubbish. Measure how far back it is from the front of the bell and how far back the flex is from the block. Figure 1/8" clearance. Those pics of the back of the pump ate out looks to me like the converter wasn't all the way in the pump engaged correctly. That pushes the center gear into the back of the pump or breaks out the tangs. I don't get how some places figure they can assemble a trans and not air check it along the way. And these prices are flooring me. I do stock rebuilds for three hundred fifty dollars here in Hemet, Ca. And that even inckudes parts. I guess I'm gonna hafta raise my price. I just did a small block 727 and even furnished a core for six fifty; with a bolt in sprag and rv type Transgo shift kit. Never again on that one. That business of shipping transmissions for hundreds and even thousands of miles is for the birds. You hit a glitch and you're on your own. I stand behind mine forever. If dude messes it up it'll cost him, but I want it fixed; problems solved. Rebuild a trans in 45 mins? Gimme a break. Sounds like a leaker to me. It takes hours just to replace all those seals inside and out. Sorry, couldn't help it. I read posts on here where it was the builder's fault, but I also read many posts where I suspected the installation was sloppy. People think they can just jam it up in there like a stickshift. Pump gets toasted and they wanna start doing pressure checks...Jeeze. I love 727's; easy to work on and reliable like nothing out there, but you gotta know a few automatic transmission basics or it''s all turn to scrap metal in a heartbeat. I know of a few guys who rebuild their own and they worked, but there are so many details that if you overlook even one, it won't work. Not like a motor; it'll run unless it's really messed up, but a trans is unforgiving as all get out. The worst thing on a 727 is direct drum wobble. Ya gotta snug up that end play and replace that bushing...but it's still gonna wobble some. I know specs call for .040 endplay, but that's too loose for me. Here in the desert a trans can sit in the hot sun and gain .020. Those cases swell with the heat quite a bit. A big problem with diagnosing is that several different things can cause the same symptoms. I read all the complaints on this thread, and my heart goes out to some, but it's a headbanger when you don't even know if it was assembled correctly. I only actually read one complaint that I would take a stab at with a fair amount of certainty. Most sound like it's time to take everything apart and start checking every little thing; like what should've been done from the gitgo. Transmissions are sorta tuff to just dabble in once in a while. I say either dive in with both feet or let somebody else do it. Less headache, really. Didn't mean to write a novel.

-
Back