The 8 1/4 thread

-
what size shim? I wish I had a lathe!!!!
I had to move it 3/16 I drilled a small hole where I thought the casting would be the thinnest and it was .450 thick So now the wall section should be 1/4 on that side of the carrier That side is the farthest away from the ring gear so its not taking the same load. This is just a driver so I should be OK and I'm starting to build a 8 3/4

I had to move it 3/16 I drilled a small hole where I thought the casting would be the thinnest and it was .450 thick So now the wall section should be 1/4 on that side of the carrier That side is the farthest away from the ring gear so its not taking the same load. This is just a driver so I should be OK and I'm starting to build a 8 3/4
So did you have to make a shim for the other side?

So did you have to make a shim for the other side?
Yea I made a shim for the other side it was 3/16 thick it may not have been necessary but I gave the adjuster more thread engagement. Ya know I just saw a sure-grip on ebay for $160,brand new but cone type 27 spline clicked on it a few days ago and today they dropped it $40 must be a lot out there Jim

The ones for the 2.45 are around pretty cheap usually under 100. Hey do you have the part # for that one?

Good news (I think?!?!). Looks like my ratio is 2.71. So this means I can put 3.55s in etc? Here are some pics. It still looks offset. Did I get a funky one or what? On the ring gear is stamped: 2952928 2.71 137 ?PP MMS 291 HT02 HELIXTORM.

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear4.jpg

rear5.jpg

reargear.jpg

So based on what I read, I should have a 27 spline set up and can use the pre 94ish Dakota diff setup without having to do any modifications?

Yes just make sure it is out of a Dana 35. Look at the covers and if you see a tag LIMITED SLIP LUBE you have a trak lok. Not all 4wd have them. I know strange.

Wow, ok strange. I must have missed that when reading through the thread. So an 8.25 and Dana 35 are interchangeable if it is Trak Lok, but not if it is sure grip? So I need a Trak Lok?

Wow, ok strange. I must have missed that when reading through the thread. So an 8.25 and Dana 35 are interchangeable if it is Trak Lok, but not if it is sure grip? So I need a Trak Lok?
Either will work from a 35 trak lok is the most common out there.

So based on what I read, I should have a 27 spline set up and can use the pre 94ish Dakota diff setup without having to do any modifications?

you will have to change the bearings on the carrier

There are two different sizes some where in the beginning of this thread has the p/n and sizes.

For the carrier sides, the pinion bearings are the same but spend the money for a install kit they are worth it for sure.

K, I will have to reread the thread. It'll probably be a while before I get to it anyway, just trying to do homework beforehand. Thanks for the help guys!

I have a set of new bearings for one size let me know what you need if your not doing the kit.

No I do not. But there is a machinist not too far from my house that I'm sure could do it for cheap.

Motive Dodge Chrysler 8.25" Master Bearing Rebuild Overhaul Kit Koyo Bearings
Just got this in my e mail.
Save the pinion bearing and grind out the center just enough to slip over the pinion and use it for setting the shims then take it off and press on the new bearing way easier then removing and re installing the new bearing. Sides are one shot off and on there is a side adjuster for them.

-
Back