The 8 1/4 thread

-
Yeah the carrier seems nice and tight. Putting it together till I can find an 8 3/4 to fit. Saw someone on here that used a B-body with relocated perches.

Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread but I was not able to find the different part numbers for the smaller and larger diameter carrier bearings and races. I was able to track these down and they are as follows:

Small diameter bearing and race National #LM102949 and LM102910 Large Diameter bearing and race are National A36

Hope that saves someone some time and effort

so in the spirit of getting informed and keeping the thread alive, I have some questions before I go in the search of a limited slip I just wanted to know if:
I'm gonna need anything else besides new bearings if I get one unit out of a pre-1996 or 1996 Dana35 grand, Cherokee, Wagoneer, Comanche, Wrangler, liberty, Dakota, Durango, explorer, ranger if its a trac-loc(which should be denoted by the presence of the 3 clutch packs or the LSD additive sticker)
what's the difference between a sure grip and a trac loc? very confused regarding this
so I should or shouldn't look at dana 30s?
whats the name of the special tool I need and can I make a homemade tool? do I need a dial indicator?
is there any place with resources or teardowns and the exact procedure I need, I'm still relatively new to rear end stuff
thanks in advance for your help!

The thread is about the Mopar 8.25 rear end. This was used in Jeeps and other Mopar vehicles but never Fords. It does not share any components with an Explorer or Ranger, nor does it share components with the Dana 30 or Dana 35, so you will want to limit your search to the vehicles with the Chrysler 8.25 exclusively.
Ford uses the term Traction Loc for its limited slip differentials, it has no relevance to the 8.25 Chrysler rear end. There are most likely many videos or informational articles on the web regarding setting up a rear end, checking pinion depth, backlash etc. a simple Google search should get you all the instructional video and articles you can use. Special tools like a pinion depth gauge and dial indicator will sure make the job easier but aren't a deal breaker, you could get it done with a simple caliper if you are creative. Good luck in your search and build!

But on the pages before this there is mentions of people getting limited slip units for 8.25s out of jeeps and the other vehicles I mentioned?

The thread is about the Mopar 8.25 rear end. This was used in Jeeps and other Mopar vehicles but never Fords. It does not share any components with an Explorer or Ranger, nor does it share components with the Dana 30 or Dana 35, so you will want to limit your search to the vehicles with the Chrysler 8.25 exclusively.
Ford uses the term Traction Loc for its limited slip differentials, it has no relevance to the 8.25 Chrysler rear end. There are most likely many videos or informational articles on the web regarding setting up a rear end, checking pinion depth, backlash etc. a simple Google search should get you all the instructional video and articles you can use. Special tools like a pinion depth gauge and dial indicator will sure make the job easier but aren't a deal breaker, you could get it done with a simple caliper if you are creative. Good luck in your search and build!

The Dana thirty five is the same carrier as a 8.25 just have to watch the axel splines.. Totally agree with the rest you posted. Basically I use a dial indicator and you want a good 1/2 torque wrench and a 1/4 beam style torque wrench. Richmond gear has the instructions on line if needed use the same as changing ring and pinion.

Another thing you can steal from the jeeps are the rear disk brakes.
I've been reading this thread religiously for some weeks to make sure I'm not gonna mess up so thanks for letting me know I should be good. I appreciate the amount of time you spent putting this whole thread together!
I just need to make a new parking break cable if I use those right ?

I've been reading this thread religiously for some weeks to make sure I'm not gonna mess up so thanks for letting me know I should be good. I appreciate the amount of time you spent putting this whole thread together!
I just need to make a new parking break cable if I use those right ?
Yup It is in the disk thread somewhere. You also want a adjustable proportional valve also the stock one will not work properly.
Also have to open up the hole for the axel on the caliper mounts a bit. Easy to do don't need to be machined did mine with a die grinder but a file will do it also.

Most of the jeeps have a 3.55 gear some times 3.23. Take the ring and pinion and all the shims etc with it to have it.

In my experience the Dana 35 and 8.25 differentials are not interchangeable, the Dana ring gear is about 3/4 " smaller than the Chrysler 8.25 , ring gear bolts are different size etc.

Runs well in quite a few cars don't know what to say. The 30 is definitely smaller and looks close. Let me see what I have for pics. I bought a 30 carrier at a swap meant and thought for sure it was a 35. 30 carrier was used in the front of most of the jeeps. Why no idea. Tell you what they are a PIA to figure out. To many little things on them. Just helped a buddy of mine out changing one, ordered a shim and crush collar a few times to get it right.

Yes, if you have some pics or other info that will shed light on a Dana 35/8.25 interchange I would like to see that. I have been in the drivetrain repair business for nearly 40 years but I learn something new every day.

I'll see if I can find both an 8.25 and a Dana 35 and compare to see if there are any big differences between the carriers. but ill be mainly looking at the 8.25 to keep things simple.

Yes, if you have some pics or other info that will shed light on a Dana 35/8.25 interchange I would like to see that. I have been in the drivetrain repair business for nearly 40 years but I learn something new every day.
I don't have any more chuncks but this should help.
Dana 35 Lock Right Installed in 8.25 Tested - Jeep Cherokee Forum
file:///C:/Users/ssgtr/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/JACEU9KS/Jeep8.25Swap.pdf
There is a how to somewhere I cannot find it might have been deleted when the format changed on the forum.

Some more tidbits of info, here you go: Chrysler 8.25 vs Dana 35: What's The Difference?

In that forum it mentions the Lockrite Lockers, they sell these for both the Dana 35 and 8.25's.
If it were me I'd stick just getting the 8.25's and/or getting parts for one, as they're plentiful.
As quoted in that forum: (putting the D35 locker in a 8.25 rear)
"I spoke to a rep from Richmond and they informed me that it shouldn't work and that they are surprised that it does. He said that the gap look to be a bit wide but if its working then it must be within the limits. He also said that he can't say I should keep running this since its not designed to work. But since it is working he doesn't see any reason that it could cause damage to anything other than the locker if it decided to fail."​

I used to own a 92 Cherokee (XJ). The hot item everyone looks for is a Dana 44 out of the 87-90 XJ's with tow package which is very rare. (some even came with 4.10 and 3.73 gears)
I live in Jeepin' country Utah (or pretty much the Rocky mountain area) and I have yet to find one. And I go to salvage yards alot. I did find an 89 XJ Wagoneer with Tow package awhile ago but someone already yanked the whole rear out.

Last edited:
OK - so from what I understand is a Dana 35 locker will work in a 8.25?

Do you use the entire center carrier or only the locker when moving it to the 8.25? explain please

What is the year cut off for a Dana 35 to go from 27 spline to 30 spline?
--- I Believe for an 8.25 it is 1996 or newer?

I have a 73 8.25 with 3:21's. I have found a Dana 35 from a 1998 Cherokee with brakes, 373's and locker - Can I transfer everything into the 8.25, including the brakes

Should work the locker and gears should swap over. Sometimes they have a tone ring on them but easily removed. I did a thread on the brakes also (disk) if needed, Easy swap you just have to enlarge the hole where the carrier goes through on the caliper mounts.

@memike and myself decided to start a thread all about 8 1/4 rears and common problems. Lets start with carriers and housings. The housings are two different distinct easy to identify The first is the most common with the pinion centered for 2.57 ratio and down the other is the off center pinion carrier for 2.56 gears and up. see how the pinion is off centered.

Here is the 2.56 and up carrier.View attachment 1714937812 View attachment 1714937812 View attachment 1714937813
thought that I would point this out before someone buys a bunch of parts that they can not use, but A Dana 30 is much smaller than the 8.25...

-
Back