The Beaver Hole Hardwood Company Begins

-
IF THIS TRAILERS ROCKING DON"T COME KNOCKING There's yer sign. Maybe you could make one of them rock?
When reading a previous post I saw, "one wire whose" and my old brain went to "woose" like a toddler might pronounce "loose". LOL
The one trailer has a picture window. You got to have at least one teenage boy peeking in from a perch atop the water tower. I've got one of the little figurines called Homies who is looking through binoculars. It a middle-aged man, I'm guessing a bird watcher. Those may not be the correct scale.
In reference to Gunsmoke series, Miss Kittys was the saloon and hotel. I guess the trailer park came years later.
There is such a trailer park in the film titled Crossroads, or maybe its in The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia. One of the DVDs I have here.
Kitty is my wife's name. So that reference is kinda two fold. Also, the producer of Gunsmoke admitted that Miss Kitty was indeed a madam, even though no reference was ever made to it on the show. I've always thought that was strange why they said that since back then the reference really couldn't be made anyway. It kinda fits. Saloon......Hotel.......not much of a stretch for the rest. lol

Kitty is my wife's name. So that reference is kinda two fold. Also, the producer of Gunsmoke admitted that Miss Kitty was indeed a madam, even though no reference was ever made to it on the show. I've always thought that was strange why they said that since back then the reference really couldn't be made anyway. It kinda fits. Saloon......Hotel.......not much of a stretch for the rest. lol
Miss Kitty did dress much like a madam. I seem to recall a few scenes where she hired and/or directed other girls, seemingly as her employees. I think I remember too when she bought the place (haven't watched an episode for several years). That money had to come from somewhere. Matt surely got his for free. LOL
You don't have to answer but I have to ask... Your Kitty ever call you Matt?

Miss Kitty did dress much like a madam. I seem to recall a few scenes where she hired and/or directed other girls, seemingly as her employees. I think I remember too when she bought the place (haven't watched an episode for several years). That money had to come from somewhere. Matt surely got his for free. LOL
You don't have to answer but I have to ask... Your Kitty ever call you Matt?
No, she never has. lol Probably because I have a "friend" named Matt and she doesn't like him. LOL

This is going to be at a standstill till the first week next month. Gotten to the point I need to buy something. lol

Ok so maybe I missed it but what era is this set in?

All I got is you have a whorehouse and a forest.

Is it steam or diesel?

Diesel Shays are cool. I would totally do first gen diesel. Like 50s or early 60s

I think I remember you showing a diesel shay at some point??

20230824_224506.jpg

Jimmy Flintstone the resin 1/25 scale car body MFG?
1/25 is G scale. I'm modeling On30, which is O scale narrow gauge that runs on HO track. O scale is 1/48 scale here in the states and 1/43 scale across the pond.

Ok so maybe I missed it but what era is this set in?

All I got is you have a whorehouse and a forest.

Is it steam or diesel?
I haven't decided on era yet. Either mid to late 30s or early 40s. I also have a small O scale gallows that I plan on having an active hanging happening. lol It's transition era, so steam and OLD diesel. ....actually the 4 wheel locomotive I have could have even been gas powered.

IF THIS TRAILERS ROCKING DON"T COME KNOCKING There's yer sign. Maybe you could make one of them rock?
When reading a previous post I saw, "one wire whose" and my old brain went to "woose" like a toddler might pronounce "loose". LOL
The one trailer has a picture window. You got to have at least one teenage boy peeking in from a perch atop the water tower. I've got one of the little figurines called Homies who is looking through binoculars. It a middle-aged man, I'm guessing a bird watcher. Those may not be the correct scale.
In reference to Gunsmoke series, Miss Kittys was the saloon and hotel. I guess the trailer park came years later.
There is such a trailer park in the film titled Crossroads, or maybe its in The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia. One of the DVDs I have here.
I could make one of the rock very easily.

Diesel Shays are cool. I would totally do first gen diesel. Like 50s or early 60s

I think I remember you showing a diesel shay at some point??

View attachment 1716133083
That locomotive right there was a one off. There was not another. The Shay I am running is a small, two truck steam unit. I'll get some pictures tomorrow of both of them.

Not too many diesels around in the 1930's.

One off GE/IR boxcabs maybe.

IIRC the first SW-1 was 1938.

1/25 is G scale. I'm modeling On30, which is O scale narrow gauge that runs on HO track. O scale is 1/48 scale here in the states and 1/43 scale across the pond.

Yes, I know but I'm familiiar with "Jimmy Flintstone" from his resin 1/25 car body kits.

Just wondering if it's the same guy.

Can't be too many Jimmy Flintstones in the cottage scale model manufacturing community.

As promised here are the two main locomotives I'll be using. The Shay and a scratch built Plymouth Diesel.....or could be a gas locomotive as small as it is.....but it's all metal and VERY heavy for its size. I suspect it will pull every bit as good as the Shay.
DSCF2568.JPG

DSCF2567.JPG

As you can see in the background, I have several small HO locomotives I COULD bash into O scale and still may. I do have one Blue Mountain kit with a donor HO locomotive I may build, but as of now these two will do the job.

Not too many diesels around in the 1930's.

One off GE/IR boxcabs maybe.

IIRC the first SW-1 was 1938.
Meh, Plymouth Locomotive Works goes way back with small gas and diesel locomotives. "Critters" as they are called. My little orange one represents about a 15 ton. Complete with its own fuel tank.....of "whatever" it's running on. lol

Here's a 1930 gas powered. There were some diesels too.

After years of being on the back burner, I have finally started laying track for my On30 layout The Beaver Hole Hardwood Company. This track plan was originally designed by a friend across the pond, Paul Templar (RIP) for another friend, Fred Miller, from the Joplin Missouri area. Fred fell on hard times and has never been able to build this layout. I asked him several years ago if he would mind if I built it and I more than got his blessing. While this looks somewhat messy, you can see the track that I have laid down and ballasted so far. I am making one change by eliminating that turnout connection at the top in the center, because I want to force the inside line to go all the way around to the right, to end up getting to the logging camp on the left side, where the switchback is located. And yes, the switchback will have several inclines of 4% to reach the top of the mountain on the left side, where the logging camp will be located. I've been really patiently waiting to get my train room back from Kitty as I let her use it for storage for a while. Now I am back at it. Here is the track plan and a picture of progress so far.
View attachment 1716128323

View attachment 1716128325
I had the same controller when I was a kid. Gave all my stuff to my little cousin when he got old enough.

I always wanted to run track a foot or so from my ceiling around the whole house tunnels through walls.
There is a restaurant here in town that has a train running like that.

I had the same controller when I was a kid. Gave all my stuff to my little cousin when he got old enough.
That's an MRC Tech II. Antiquated, but one of the best even for large (G scale). I actually have two of them, since I saw in advance I would be splitting the layout electrically.

This may be a little off topic but does anyone have information about the depression era hobo, A no.1 Traveler ?
He supposedly stoled rides on railroads all across the US. There was a movie about some of his time in the North West called Emperor of the North Pole but nothing was mentioned about his roots and final resting place in NW Pennsylvania. There is very sparse info around here but most is unreliable stories passed down through generations. I gave up my search a few years ago but this thread has renewed my interest.
Jerry

Last edited:
This may be a little off topic but does anyone have information about the depression era hobo, A no.1 Traveler ?
He supposedly stoled rides on railroads all across the US. There was a movie about some of his time in the North West called Emperor of the North but nothing was mentioned about his roots and final resting place in NW Pennsylvania. There is very sparse info around here but most is unreliable stories passed down through generations. I gave up my search a few years ago but this thread has renewed my interest.
Jerry
Not off topic at all. I have no info, but have heard that before. I do plan on a hobo camp. .......and a moonshine still camp.

I've got that DVD waiting for a nice quiet evening.

Supposed to be pretty good.

-
Back