the"Busted knuckle duster"

-
I'm not at all impressed with Flaming River columns. Installed one in a 69 Bee for a gentleman that wanted tilt. They offered a "direct fit". Direct fit, BULLSHIT!!!!!!! Far from it. "Here's a GM column, make it fit buddy!" Lesson learned.

So still waiting on my summit parts but but did get the radiator set in and the air inlet tube on. Now I need to build a front cover to hold the top of radiator in place,as well as give me a place to mount overflow tank,and power steering reservoir.
20210109_182033.jpg
20210109_182042.jpg

So duster moved to showroom for awhile to get paying work done,and wait for parts. I did however get steering column mounted. It was a flaming river replacement unit that is supposed to be a direct replacement. First of it doesn't have an ignition switch WTF. So I am going to install one in the dash. Like how that feels anyway. Next it is not the right dimension,it is a two inch column. Third,and not FR problem but in the stock location it hits the head on the 5.7. So I modified the firewall mount,and moved it over. Ordered a double joint to connect to steering box. I also installed the rightstuff brake master. There are some pics of the modifications I made on my last post. The right stuff kit comes with a cheap adjustable prop valve so I ordered a fixed disc/disc one from summit racing. Here are some pics of firewall mount I modified. As well as the mods to column,and the map,and mat sensors I found that plug directly into holley terminator x harness.View attachment 1715664948 View attachment 1715664949 View attachment 1715664950 View attachment 1715664951 View attachment 1715664951 View attachment 1715664952 View attachment 1715664953

One nice benefit to moving the bottom of the column over is it will be closer to straight. From the factory, it is at an angle to the centerline of the car.

Always bugged me how the later A-Body steering column and wheel aren't square to the driver, so I plan to do something similar down the road. But far more important things to work on first.

One nice benefit to moving the bottom of the column over is it will be closer to straight. From the factory, it is at an angle to the centerline of the car.

Always bugged me how the later A-Body steering column and wheel aren't square to the driver, so I plan to do something similar down the road. But far more important things to work on first.
Glad you said that. My wheel isn't here yet,but the column definitely seemed square after the move but there really isn't a good reference point to measure from to be sure. I have driven cars that are off center,and it is agreeably annoying. Especially when I plan on Staring at the dash more than the underside of the hood when this build is done

It’s nice to finally see what a 67 front clip looks like on a Duster! I’ve been thinking of doing this for a few years now.

So a beautiful thing happened today. I no longer have to steer the duster around by its tires yay! Didnt get brake parts yet,but I did get steering wheel knuckle,and dipsticks. All from summit and all fit just as planned.
20210113_165907.jpg
20210113_170030.jpg

She is coming along slowly but technically I was supposed to be working on customer stuff today. Whoops! Hard to concentrate on work when boxes arrive

Rebuilt wiper motor with the wife today. Gonna test it out tomorrow if I can figure out which wires to add 12 volt to to make it go through the speeds. Any suggestions?
20210114_133634.jpg
20210114_144117.jpg
20210114_144121.jpg
20210114_163433.jpg

Next ridiculously fiddly job. Getting the dash modified for the holley touch screen. Decided to mount the screen with a bracket to the dash frame instead of the gage cluster,and just use the plastic cluster as a frame. This way the heavy screen won't be relying on 46 year old plastic to stay in place. Working well so far. Just have some fine tuning left. Here are some pics so far .
20210116_133555.jpg

Before
20210116_153037.jpg

Cleaned stripped and ready for cutting
20210122_174750.jpg

Pics of bracket won't load but here is what I have so far. The screen is taped up in the center. Cut out wiper,and light switch portions of old dash to reuse. Used 18 gauge steel for the rest. Once painted should be reminiscent to stock dash,and look like an oem part. Gap between light switch hole,and screen will be a fuel gage which I haven't ordered yet. Fuel is the only thing that won't be monitored by computer so I cant display it on screen

Last edited:
So today I finished up the dash and got it all epoxied together. Gonna let it dry over the weekend. Also finished rebuilding the wipers. Had to weld washers on the linkages to replace the old busted plastic clip grommet pieces. Then linked them all together using grease washers and E clips. Works smooth and quiet as well. Huge improvement. Will post some pics latrr

So today I finished up the dash and got it all epoxied together. Gonna let it dry over the weekend. Also finished rebuilding the wipers. Had to weld washers on the linkages to replace the old busted plastic clip grommet pieces. Then linked them all together using grease washers and E clips. Works smooth and quiet as well. Huge improvement. Will post some pics latrr
20210126_122052.jpg
20210126_122107.jpg

These are pics of old column for DusterDaddy

Last edited:
Looks great! Did you have to modify the torsion bar crossmember at all or just the floor?
Ya I cut it out between the trans mount bolts. Left enough meat to put all four trans mount bolts in. Then welded it all to the new tunnel from under,and above. Got lucky that nothing was rusted out under there so it is good,and strong

Ya I cut it out between the trans mount bolts. Left enough meat to put all four trans mount bolts in. Then welded it all to the new tunnel from under,and above. Got lucky that nothing was rusted out under there so it is good,and strong
Thanks! Seems unavoidable. Just have to build a new crossmember and floor for these transmissions

So for everyone that's been following along for awhile you may remember that I had to modify my QA1 6 link setup in the rear for the rear-end. Being that it is a aftermarket reproduction of an 83/4,not an actual mopar part. I am very happy with the rear-end being that it is beefed up in all the right spots,and has the gearing I want. It also doesn't hurt that it is new,and I didn't have to derust it. Anyways the pumpkin is larger, meaning I needed to make room for it by spacing the sway bar mounts lower, and bending a brace on the 6 link to clear around the back of the rear-end. All this worked perfect till I went to install the tank today. Sumbeech! The bar I modified lays right into the front of the tank. So my plan tomorrow while I wait for the next customer car is to remove the,rear-end, and suspension to get to the 6 link mounting frame out. Modify it again so it doesn't protrude into the tanks designated area. Paint it, put it back in, and remove the stupid fill cap bung on the rear-end that is unusable with the tank there,and just in my way. The worst part of all this is I was gonna do this months ago but thought it would be OK, and was alot of unnecessary work. Thats what I get for trying to save myself some time. As they say if you didn't do it twice you didn't do it right. I'll shoot some pics of the unscheduled projects tomorrow.

Well not as bad as I originally had thought I managed to remove the framework for the 6 link without to much hassle. Was able to keep the rear and links in place. I found a piece of tubing that did exactly what I wanted so I went to cutting my previous mods off. I got some really nice welds laid down,and while that cooled I mounted the gas tank. (I have a brand new set of tank straps to sell BTW) once I cleaned up the rest of the frame work with a flapwheel I fit it in the car.This was not an easy task which brought me to the decision that once installed it would get painted in the car. Which it was. Tomorrow I will reassemble the coil overs and such. Here are some pics.
20210128_110930.jpg
20210128_144307.jpg
20210129_130359.jpg
20210129_150745.jpg
20210129_150750.jpg
20210129_165330.jpg
20210129_165247.jpg

Post more pics tomorrow when she's all cleaned up,and assembly is done

Well it has been a minute. Forgot to post pics of rear-end finished,and cleaned up. Rest assured she is back on the ground,and lookin good.
I have moved on to some interior work now that I have some sheet metal. I showed a few pics of the dash mods,but now I have started the center console. I fabricated the first setup showed below,but was not happy with the look. I was gonna put some ball vents, and charging ports in the flat section. Could put a nav screen or anything in it really. It is a great setup built off of the original chrysler 300 center console. Hate to trash it if anyone is doing something similar they can have the parts I made.
20210210_173528.jpg

So anyway her is what I am actually gonna run. Based on the same console but a little less modern look,and retains original vents. Gonna put some charging ports in it.
20210213_183115.jpg
20210213_182653.jpg
20210213_182650.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I did to make all the venting to the rear work. I even left enough room to put fuse box in here so I can put holley ecm under dash by column where the fuse box would normally go.
20210213_140405.jpg
20210213_140419.jpg

As usual its been awhile since I posted. Strangely enough though a ton has been done. Unfortunately pics of the last stages of the dash and car will have to wait till Tuesday when I get back to the shop because I forgot to take pics.
So we built a few brackets ,and got the throttle pedal mounted as well as the holley ecu ,and wiring routed.
We removed the dash stripped it,and got that as well as the ashtray,and glove box door painted.
We started painting the gauge,and heater control bezels
Thanks to some guys here on FABO we were able to find some cool taillights with the matching center panel. I think they are way cooler than what the duster had,and I couldn't find originals in good shape anyway. Funny thing is the matching set came from different sellers in different states. Gonna paint them so wasn't worried about condition,but needed the lenses to be great,and the bezels not broken. Check on both boxes thanks guys.
We also managed to get the rest of the body disassembled,and stripped of all its original paint. Gonna KBS coat a few dark spots in the metal that showed evidence of future rust,and seam seal all the areas that need it tomorrow. Will take pics of that tomorrow as well as some of the sound deadener we started to apply.
Last but not least we got the new TCI seats mounted. Had to make a few riser brackets to mount the inside tracks since this was a bench car,other than that they look great. Was nice to sit in the car again.
Here's the pics of our last weeks journey with the busted knuckle duster
2021-02-17 11.39.46.jpg
2021-02-17 11.39.19.jpg

2021-02-20 15.55.40.jpg

2021-02-23 14.19.23.jpg

2021-02-24 14.32.23.jpg

2021-02-25 11.45.55.jpg

2021-02-25 16.44.41.jpg

2021-02-24 14.46.08.jpg

2021-02-26 11.09.29.jpg

View attachment 1715699626
Fitment on the badge was obviously meant to be.
Post more pics tomorrow night.

Last edited:
-
Back