The Feel Between Manual and Power Brakes

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
My brakes are being done by a shop and I'm swapping over to manual brakes because the booster I had was some weird, random aftermarket/chevy booster. I'm just curious what the difference in feel there is between manual and power brakes as I've only driven power/hydraulic brakes before. Thank you.

All you should really notice is just a bit more resistance at the first part of the pedal travel.
Maybe just a hair more pressure needed on the brake pedal.
If done right, you shouldn't notice much difference overall because they should be putting a master cylinder with a smaller bore to compensate for the lack of vaccum assist.

All you should really notice is just a bit more resistance at the first part of the pedal travel.
Maybe just a hair more pressure needed on the brake pedal.
If done right, you shouldn't notice much difference overall.

This post is spot on.

Power assist in the braking system of an a-body gives you next to nothing but takes away from you:

Under-hood space
Brake feel
Adds another potential failure point

I have never had power brakes on any of my cars, but you should have no problem whatsoever with manual brakes.....that's all I have ever had on an A-body with no problem and I am probably half your size.....I have had power on a B-body and I thought it was kinda scary because if the engine dies out on you then you really need to step on it .....its always the same with manual.

That's what I thought. My mechanic gave me a look of disgust when I told him to convert it to manual brakes.

That's what I thought. My mechanic gave me a look of disgust when I told him to convert it to manual brakes.

well ....the customer is always right.

in a strange way, im kinda glad most of my cars have been plain jane low option cars ....less stuff to break. I have never had an A-body with power steering or power brakes and most have been 3 speed manual.

all the power stuff is great when its working but if someone is not willing to dump the money into getting that stuff right, then getting rid of it is the best solution.

I would advise you keep as many original parts as possible ...like if the brake booster brackets are there and original ...you might want to hold on to that even if you don't use it ...it is original to the car

I convert all my mine to manual.
With disk on an A body, no worries.
Power assist was a marketing tool back in the day IMO.
I wonder about your mechanic.

Power brakes might be necessary for an old lady. It's like a lot of things.....once someone gets used to driving a car with fingertip power steering or a super light clutch pedal, going back to the older stuff seems......crazy, unsafe or just nuts (in a lot of people's minds) I get a kick out of seeing old 40's and 50's Chryslers in the boneyard, with manual truck-like steering, 3-on-the-tree stick transmissioins, and of course, boat-like handling with those skinny tires back then......and knowing that all kinds of women used to drive them!! Geez!!

I like manual everything.....and if you want to check out some real hard steering, throw some quick-ratio steering arms on a manual steering car and then try some parallel parking with it!! LOL

I still have the old booster with all the parts but like I said before, it's a weird aftermarket one. The MC needs some modifications and drilling in order for it to mount properly to the booster. I've had a long time car guy at work give me a similar face when I told him I was going to power brakes. His reasoning was, "Why would you want less braking?" My response, "Technically, it's not less braking, it's the same braking with slightly more force applied." :D

I still do have power steering but I remember that made steering feel super light. Especially with the large steering wheel. I'm definitely going with wider tires and a FF Stage 3 steering box in the future.

My friend has a hot rod shop and sees alot of that (aftermarket boosters usually based on some GM product). Often not so well done. Your experience is not unusual if that makes you feel better.

I agree with the others. Without power assist, the brake pedal should feel firmer and take a little more effort, but not a lot with an a-body. Disks take more pedal effort because most drums are self assisting.

Pedal effort and 'feel' under different conditions can be adjusted with lining, prop valve and wheel cylinder size IF you want to later on.

I also convert all of the A-bodies I've owned to manual brakes and manual steering if they come so equipped with power. I just like the road feel I guess. Not saying you "cant" feel the road with power, but its just different...a better different..lol

Depends on the MC bore size you use. Most prefer 7/8"D or 15/16"D. Smaller requires less force, but more pedal travel. For the same force, you will have more pedal travel with manual than power brakes, everything else being equal (no play, well-bled). Thus, it will be more critical to get all bubbles out of the system to not risk having the pedal bottom out. That said, it isn't very hard to bleed it well and there is a lot of margin in pedal travel

I agree that power brakes are a bit klutsy in A-bodies, with bulky stand-off brackets and a lever arrangement. More things to fail or come apart and leave you with less braking.

My MC is 1 1/32" bore so I'd assume it's going to require a bit more effort but have less pedal travel. Last I heard, a day or two ago, they were bleeding the brakes and going to install the steering column. Then they're going to check some of the mechanicals to make sure it runs safely. It seems like I'll be able to make it to Fall Fling with the Dart this year. :D

Manual brakes give the driver more control of the pressure. Power are just TOO easy to lock up.

I've driven around with the Manual brakes now. Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference.

The manual brakes on mine are great. The power steering on all the vintage cars is like steering on a video game consoles. No resistance or road feel. Spin the steering wheel with your pinky finger if you wanted to.

The manual brakes on mine are great. The power steering on all the vintage cars is like steering on a video game consoles. No resistance or road feel. Spin the steering wheel with your pinky finger if you wanted to.

That's how it felt when driving 90 miles round trip to Fall Fling. With a 205 series tire on a 14" wheel, a bus-like steering wheel, and a 45 year old box there was hardly any resistance in the wheel.

True but the 16:1 ratio is nice, if you are willing to drop the $$$ a rebuilt factory box from Firm Feel makes a HUGE difference. I put a "Stage 2" box in my '70 Duster and the road feel was totally transformed. I've also seen in Mopar Action a few issues back there is now a company which sells kits to adapt the smaller Grand Cherokee steering box into old Mopars. Supposedly they are about the same size as an old manual box so they free up a lot of space, definitely nice for BB/Hemi swaps, headers, etc.

I still have manual brakes on that same car though and I love them. I can't imagine ever needing power assist as I can lock up the wheels pretty easily. Now my '69 Polara that's another story lol...

True but the 16:1 ratio is nice, if you are willing to drop the $$$ a rebuilt factory box from Firm Feel makes a HUGE difference. I put a "Stage 2" box in my '70 Duster and the road feel was totally transformed.

Looked it up- $359 is not bad for what you gain. Something to consider when the time comes for rebuilding the front suspension.

Looked it up- $359 is not bad for what you gain. Something to consider when the time comes for rebuilding the front suspension.

Totally, with one of those, some offset UCA bushings or tubular UCA's for extra caster, and stiffer T-bars these cars become very comfortable at extra-legal speeds lol

-
Back