The First 1967 383 A-Body, 'Barracuda or Mr. Norms's Dart'

-
Not according to the 68 SS manual that I have, the only way to get the valve cover off with the motor in the car was to hammer the snot out of the right side inner fender. Have an acquaintance that worked in the facility where the HEMI cars were put together, and he told me they were hammered. Seen someone mention that wedges require it as well, have had a couple of big block a-bodies and none of them needed the inner fenders hammered.

from what i have read. you might be correct on the part that you had to hammer them to get off. but not hammed at the install. i like to see a factory picture. before anybody owned the cars.

1967 Dart GTS 383,

With proper trunk deck-lid rear panel insert and GT emblem.

th

from what i have read. you are mint be correct on the part that you had to hammer them to get off. but not hammed at the install. i like to see a factory picture. before anybody owned the cars.
I will look thru the book and see if there is one.....

I will look thru the book and see if there is one.....

we should start another post just because this has nothing to do with the 67 383
but i have herd the stock chrome valve covers fit and if you went to the bigger cam and rockers you had to change the valve covers and that requiring to hammer the right side inner fender.

From the book....and you are right, probably should start another thread....but I can this, I know of someone who has a HEMI in his car with the Barton valve covers on it. The motor is in the right place.....and the valve cover is in contact with the inner fencer......

Attachments

• HEMI Dart inner fender.pdf
    907.5 KB · Views: 362
the valve covers on 383 were made to clear the blower motor also

From the book....and you are right, probably should start another thread....but I can this, I know of someone who has a HEMI in his car with the Barton valve covers on it. The motor is in the right place.....and the valve cover is in contact with the inner fencer......

not a factory picture, a restoration picture, by then all were hammered.

i started need post

Yes, the 68' BO29 and LO23 Cars require a separate thread. Also, one of our friends
ran an original back in 1968 thru 1970, and I know what the engine compartment looked like.

The inner part of the left (passenger side) fenderwell below the shock tower was
hammered in, to allow for clearance.

No 'sophistication' or measurements were taken when the Hurst Performance workers
pounded away with a 5 Pound hammer on the A-Body Hemi Bombs.

Every right side inner fenderwell of the 1968 A-Body Bombs were pounded in. And like a
'Snowflake' every inner-fenderwell looked different than the other after being smashed with
a 5 Pound Sledge-Hammer.

Ike,

Here is the 1967 'H-Code' 383/280 HP 'specs'

* 10.0 -1 Compression Pistons
* Piston Height -.007 (Negative, below deck surface)

* Cylinder Heads Casting #2406516
* Closed-Chamber 73.5 CC
* Intake 2.08" x Exhaust 1.60"
* Valve Springs #134 lbs. (Valve Closed) - #208 lbs. (Valve Open)

* Camshaft (Hydraulic) .425 Intake / .437 Exhaust ~ 256*/260* Duration ~ 32* Overlap

* Carburetor (Plymouth) Carter AFB {525 CFM}
* Manual #4298 ~ 1 7/16" Primary ~ 1 9/16" Secondary ~ (Venturi's 1.186 x 1.313)
* Automatic #4299 ~ 1 7/16" Primary ~ 1 9/16" Secondary ~ (Venturi's 1.186 x 1.313)

I've seen the M as the fifth digit on every 440 GSS I've ever seen. The maroon, silver and black cars from one collection and the two matching yellow ones from up north.

48 of them, all sold at GSD I believe, exclusively.

OK...to get this thread back on track,,,you're saying that 1968 Darts were shipped to Norm's dealership with an "M" in the VIN? What engine was in them when they left the factory...383 or 440? Everything I've ever read or heard says there were no 440's ("M") in Darts in 1968, so Chrysler didn't install the 440 in those 1968 Darts.

So who installed the 440 in those cars...must have been Norm, right?

Now, if Norm did it AFTER they were delivered to his dealership, how did Chrysler know which ones he put a 440 into (so they could attach an "M" code VIN)?

Ok, well the M Code question is not on the tread topic. Look you agree the LO and BO cars had a VIN right? Those were 383 cars shipped to hurst campbell and they have correct VIN's. SO Ma Mopar stamped the tags like they wanted them and attached them to the dash.

Now on the first Dart GTS, I heard the same Ma Mopar wanted the Barracuda to be the hot car and so did not intend to build a BB dart. They would not have needed Mr Norm to "shoe-horn" a BB into a Dart! Hell they knew it was an A body, They are the same! They just decided late in the production run to do them. Using all the barracuda BB parts. Why? beats me.
So the Mr Norm car was a backyard BB. Does that make it the first BB A Body? Not by VIN.

Look you agree the LO and BO cars had a VIN right? Those were 383 cars shipped to hurst campbell and they have correct VIN's. SO Ma Mopar stamped the tags like they wanted them and attached them to the dash.

Now on the first Dart GTS, I heard the same Ma Mopar wanted the Barracuda to be the hot car and so did not intend to build a BB dart. They would not have needed Mr Norm to "shoe-horn" a BB into a Dart! Hell they knew it was an A body, They are the same! They just decided late in the production run to do them. Using all the barracuda BB parts. Why? beats me.
So the Mr Norm car was a backyard BB. Does that make it the first BB A Body? Not by VIN.

Yes...the "LO" and "BO" cars were Chrysler-sanctioned "Race-Only" 1968 cars, and were shipped , by Chrysler, with the VIN of their ultimately -installed engine. This was not the case with Mr. Norm. HE decided which 1968 cars were to be converted and sold at his dealership. Chrysler would not have known which cars were converted, so they could not supply a tag with an "M" engine code on it.

As far as the 1st Dart GTS, I agree with you...Ma Mopar didn't need Norm to show'em how to build a BB Dart.

Yes...the "LO" and "BO" cars were Chrysler-sanctioned "Race-Only" 1968 cars, and were shipped , by Chrysler, with the VIN of their ultimately -installed engine. This was not the case with Mr. Norm. HE decided which 1968 cars were to be converted and sold at his dealership. Chrysler would not have known which cars were converted, so they could not supply a tag with an "M" engine code on it.

As far as the 1st Dart GTS, I agree with you...Ma Mopar didn't need Norm to show'em how to build a BB Dart.

I wonder about mr norms cars that were 383 and did the GSS package. The tags were already made from the factory. So what you saying the there is more GSS cars out there and we don't even know it. I have an ad by norm get you GSS in 1969 year. Where there any of these made? I can post the ad, I still have it.

I wonder about mr norms cars that were 383 and did the GSS package. The tags were already made from the factory. So what you saying the there is more GSS cars out there and we don't even know it. I have an ad by norm get you GSS in 1969 year. Where there any of these made? I can post the ad, I still have it.

The GSS cars were already "H" code cars when delivered from Ma, weren't they?

Just for Sh*ts & Giggles, here's a 440, 69-only drivers manifold....(Dave knows all about these)

Attachments

• 440ABodyExMan-DrFront (Small).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 517
1967 A-Body 383 'Exhaust System'

Due the 'pretzel-shaped' exhaust manifold (driver side), as everyone knows it restricted exhaust flow.

The original exhaust pipes (primary) leading to the mufflers had numerous 'flattened areas' to clear the under-carriage.

Some sections were smaller than 1 7/8", which was smaller piping than the 'intermediate' 383 2-Barrel exhaust piping
on the 1967 B-Body cars (ie; Satellite and Coronet).

Of course it had to go in from the top. I've heard they used a big hammer to masage one inner fender for fitment.
I've heard the Barracuda was the very first car to get a 340 too but Dart owners will argue that all day too.

There's no inner fender massaging needed for a B engine A-body. There was for the '68 SS cars...is that what you were thinking of?

There's no inner fender massaging needed for a B engine A-body. There was for the '68 SS cars...is that what you were thinking of?

Correct Mr. 451,

No 383 or 440 engine installed in any 67' thru 69' A-Body from the factory required any modification to the inner-fenderwells.

October 1966,

Chrysler Corporation has announced that a 383 Big-Block will be
made available for the soon to be released redesigned 1967 Plymouth Barracuda.

Expected introduction of the Barracuda will be in late November 1966.

The 383 will be availabe in all three Barracuda styles, Hardtop Coupe,
Fastback and Convertible models, in the both the 4-Speed Manual transmission
and 3-Speed Automatic transmission. All models will be required to be equipped with
the Formula S handling package.

J. W. Frawley, Plymouth Sales Manager

V,

You wanted to know what the NHRA National Records were for 1967, and what class
the 1967 383 A-Body cars would fall in.

C/S............ 12.78 @ 110.29 MPH
C/SA.......... 13.14 @ 106.50 MPH
D/S............ 12.99 @ 105.88 MPH
D/SA.......... 13.54 @ 105.50 MPH

The 67' Hardtop Coupe Barracuda would fall into C/S or C/SA.

The 67' Fastback and Convertible Barracuda, and both the Hardtop and Convertible Dart GTS
would be classed in D/S or D/SA.

The D/SA National Record was 'soft', and I am surprised Mopar didn't put a 'factory-backed'
383 Barracuda or Dart GTS 383 together for the 1967 Winternationals or 1967 Springnationals.

V (December 1966)

Chicago's 'Mr. Norm' doesn't believe in being Number Two, especially when it comes
to selling High Performance cars.

When Chrysler Corporation gave the '383' engine to the Plymouth Barracuda, Grand-Spaulding
decided to build it's own 'Special Dart'. Norman Harvey Kraus said that the decison had been
made by those who govern Chrysler to put the 383 big-block engine in the small A-Body for 1967,
and that it was ruled that the Plymouth Barracuda would be the most desirable for this new package.
Plymouth introduced the 'new' Barracuda to the public on November 25, 1966.

Since the Plymouth Barracuda and Dodge Dart share the same components, Mr. Norm decided to build
his own 383, using a current 1967 Dart GT, and an 'H-Code' 383 4-Barrel engine from a B-Body.

Also had a smaller cam profile and 1.60" exhaust valves. Cam profile changed in 68 as well as a bigger exhaust valve

The HP went up in each of the three years. At some point, maybe 68 model year and I'm pretty sure 69, they started using the Road Runner/Super Bee engine with the better heads, cam, etc. But the exhaust was still choked down with the restrictive exhaust manifold. The 68 RR 383 had a higher rating than prior 383-4bbl engines because of the changes.

-
Back