the good ole days?

-
when life was simple...never having to worry about someones "ulterior motives"

How much of this nostalgia is due to technology? Has the World really changed so much or has our unlimited access to it changed our perception?

Most of the things mentioned in this thread my family does today. My kids play outside. We go to church and visit relatives every Sunday. We are respectful of others property. Etc.

Of course things are different but are they really THAT much different?

Well, I understand that there is a vast assumption that the "good ol days" already past. For some of our senior crowd, that may be.

For many of us millennials, these are the good ol days now.

Sure there is a lot of social turmoil but what generation didn't have that.

Some good things about now:
Mopars have become a pop icons and are recognized around the world. It is special to drive a Mopar now because you are almost as rare as your car. They are no longer "just old cars"
I daily drive my dart and everytime I leave the driveway its a load of fun.

We have re pop parts more now than ever before due to popularity.

We have Craigslist and fabo.

Socially we have:
24 hour burger joints ....ha, match that gramps.
We get collector plates for our old cars and cheap insurance.
Gas is cheaper now than before when you factor in inflation.

It's still fun to cruise with friends on weekends. Me and my friend like to ride around on weekend nights in either my car or her 2015 camaro.

There are still good times and good deals out there. It is what you make it, I guess.

Good times summer 16 woohooo :usflag:

Parents that raised their own children.
Parents that took responsibility for those children.
Don't get me wrong, I love my grand daughter with everything in my being and soul, I'll go to war for her and I have. I have the lawyer bills to prove it.
But I raised my children, my baby is 26, I thought I was done.
I'm retired, raising a 10 year old costs more than just money. Try explaining to a 10 year old that her mother is more worried about a drug than she is about her. That her biological father just doesn't care. That the only reason he pays child support is to keep out of jail. If that threat wasn't hanging over him he wouldn't do that.
But, on the bright side, my grand daughter plays outside. She has a bike, she has her American Girl dolls, but there isn't a video game anywhere in my house. She's spoiled to death, but I won't let her go the same path as her mother. It's sad that I am grateful that my ex-wife is dead, if only to keep my grand daughter from being influenced by the poison she was.
I know one thing for sure, my grand daughter won't get to grow up in the America that I grew up in.
I miss that America.

this topic brings back so many memories for those that lived " the good ole days"... those younger folk that never experienced it, wish you guys could have, that is the good times and memories. they weren't all good ones though.
does technology and advancement of mankind makes life better? huh???????? not too sure myself... but I am old fashioned and conservative

I agree with you sir.
I sometimes wonder about the instant news from around the world, sometimes unfiltered. I do enjoy the ability to talk with my group of friends whom I have made on this site and the ability to find parts for my Barracuda from all over the country. Of course when I was younger I could go to the local junk yard and find almost anything I needed for my car.
I remember when there were a couple of restaurants, The Archdale Soda Shop for one is still there today.
No fast food restaurants that I knew of where I lived anyway.
As my son tells me when I have the oldies music playing, in a few years the crap he listens to will be on the oldies station as well. That may be, but not the one I listen too.
Life was good, and is good today.
Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Folks just respecting each other. Hold the door for a stranger...just because it was the polite thing to do. How many of us walk by someone who is obviously going to struggle lifting that 50 pound bag of dog food...without even thinking about stopping to help them? Please, thank you. I will often call RRR Sir...not being a smart *** but simply out of respect for him...even though we are the same age...damn, there is that respect thing again...

This thread stirred up a few memories. Was raised to call anybody the same age as my parents Mr./Mrs. Helped a neighbor, same age as my folks with his race car when I was 18. Used to call him Mr. Razmus. One day, thevery car was fighting us..he was a bit agitated. "Hey Mr. Razmus, I think"....that's about as far as I got before he grabbed me by the throat, pinning me against a wall. He wore Ben Franklin glasses, always at the tip of his nose. He looked at me through his glasses...told me that I am over his house, chugging beer with him, helping with a passion. Told me we are friends...that if I knew what was good for me I would drop the Mr Razmus. Hmmm....my reply was...Ok Mr. Teddy, he wanted me to call him by his first name. I seen the look in his eye...the look that he wanted to kill me...I took off running....bastard threw a hammer at me...sorry for rambling...

Don't know how I overlooked the obvious...being pain free...this whole "all the lumbar discs are shot" thing SUCKS. Add my shoulder pain from a recent fall...and as many of us now know when ever you have done damage to yourself from overworking a particular body part you have a new best friend...his name is Art...effing arthritis...
Can't help but think of my dirt bike days, where if I didn't crash at least 6 times a day it meant I wasn't riding over my ability...where is the fun in that? After everyone of those spills I would pick myself up, dust myself off and go looking for the bike...if that was today I would probablyend up in a wheel chair...make that definitely end up in a chair..
Sure do miss being young, dumb and full of....

Very interesting to read from a European view.
We had no Vietnam problem or anything similar.
We also don't have a lot of american cars here, only a few and tthey were expensive.
But we looked always to America anxiously / interested, because we knew, in some years we get this things also...

Can you imagine, that in 1970 there was no supermarket or similar self-service shop in Austria in existence?
The first McDonalds in Austria opened his doors in 1977!

Nevertheless - the posts about respect or behaviour fit exactly to our social history of the last decades.

i will ventue to say, people in some parts of our country, could speed a day with me in the countryside of s w Missouri, and they will swear they stepped back in time 50 yrs. ( to the "good ole days"??? and this is great for me, I live here. I have stayed in out parts of the country but I LIVE here.
even when we are busy here, we tend to move at a slower pace. we still open a door at the store when someone is behind us. we refer to people as sir and mame, we share and help each other ( many of us), we shoot thieves, have no use for drug dealers and perverts. now don't break down at 4 o oclock in the morning headed to work. NO ONE will stop!!!! ha ! maybe after daylight.. they gotta get to work!!!!

Kind of a funny thing, I grew up in the city and moved to the country 8 years age even though my job is still in the city and I feel I went back in time 25 years. People out here let other drivers in, wave to passers by, hold the door open etc. When someone out here doesn't behave the way we say "you ain't from around here". And guess what happens when a neighbor needs a hand.

The good old days changed when they decided to let the inmates run the institution.

Most of you probably didn't go to school in as small of town as I. But we could take our dads pickup to school,on a nice day leave the windows down with a couple shotguns or rifles in the back window gun rack. Nobody gave it a second thought.
Yote

Well, I understand that there is a vast assumption that the "good ol days" already past. For some of our senior crowd, that may be.

For many of us millennials, these are the good ol days now.

As with every generation, your teens and to an extent your 20s are the years you often remember most fondly. Life was (generally) less complicated than it becomes later in life when you have more responsibilities, and these are the years you're becoming who you will end up being.
I'm on the older end of the boomer generation (born 1950), and I remember my parents' generation reminiscing about how much more civilized life was when they were growing up (during the Great Depression!). Kids these days.

Unlike many my age, I consider the present to be if not the best, definitely a very good time in my life. I'm semi-retired, married to a wonderful woman and have a sweet driver-quality Dart that hasn't needed a lot of work, nor did it cost me an arm and a leg.
Sure there is a lot of social turmoil but what generation didn't have that.

Some good things about now:
Mopars have become a pop icons and are recognized around the world. It is special to drive a Mopar now because you are almost as rare as your car. They are no longer "just old cars"
I daily drive my dart and everytime I leave the driveway its a load of fun.

We have re pop parts more now than ever before due to popularity.

We have Craigslist and fabo.

Socially we have:
24 hour burger joints ....ha, match that gramps.
We get collector plates for our old cars and cheap insurance.
Gas is cheaper now than before when you factor in inflation.

Dunno where you live, but we don't have 24 hour ANYTHING out here in the sticks other than the occasional gas station/convenience store. It is nice that there are now stores open on Sunday, and past 5pm weeknights. Much as people like to gripe about them, we have the big chains to thank for that. Sad that "Main St." is dead, but I sure do like having a hardware or auto parts store open when it's convenient for me.

The internet changed the world in many ways, some good others not so much. There is a wealth of information (with varying degrees of accuracy) instantly accessible. Sure beats having to look up dated information at the library (when it was open). OTOH, there is all sorts of nastiness out there, as well as half truths and lots of sites with personal agendas marketed as news.

I don't particularly like the lack of privacy today, and it baffles me why many people (especially your generation) don't see anything wrong with that. Likewise, I don't get today's cellphone culture where so many people almost go into withdrawal symptoms if they can't check their email or Facebook page every couple minutes, though that is becoming trans-generational.

I am of the opinion (only my opinion) that cars and music are the same. No good music and no good cars written/built after 1971.

Bull. Middle-aged people thought Elvis, Chuck Berry et al were the Devil's music back in the 50s. Our parents' generation considered the Beatles, Rolling Stones or Jimi Hendrix to be nothing but noise. And so on. Funny how pop culture goes right down the tubes just about the time you hit 30.

As far as cars go, yeah I'd be hard pressed to name a visually appealing vehicle made in the last 20 years or so, but even the cheapest imported econobox runs rings around anything built in the muscle car era or before. They're almost maintenance-free, get way better gas mileage and last a whole lot longer. When I was growing up, a 5 year old car was considered ancient, and it was extremely rare to find one 10 years old. Now a 10 year old car is almost considered new.

As with every generation, your teens and to an extent your 20s are the years you often remember most fondly. Life was (generally) less complicated than it becomes later in life when you have more responsibilities, and these are the years you're becoming who you will end up being.
I'm on the older end of the boomer generation (born 1950), and I remember my parents' generation reminiscing about how much more civilized life was when they were growing up (during the Great Depression!). Kids these days.

Unlike many my age, I consider the present to be if not the best, definitely a very good time in my life. I'm semi-retired, married to a wonderful woman and have a sweet driver-quality Dart that hasn't needed a lot of work, nor did it cost me an arm and a leg.

Dunno where you live, but we don't have 24 hour ANYTHING out here in the sticks other than the occasional gas station/convenience store. It is nice that there are now stores open on Sunday, and past 5pm weeknights. Much as people like to gripe about them, we have the big chains to thank for that. Sad that "Main St." is dead, but I sure do like having a hardware or auto parts store open when it's convenient for me.

The internet changed the world in many ways, some good others not so much. There is a wealth of information (with varying degrees of accuracy) instantly accessible. Sure beats having to look up dated information at the library (when it was open). OTOH, there is all sorts of nastiness out there, as well as half truths and lots of sites with personal agendas marketed as news.

I don't particularly like the lack of privacy today, and it baffles me why many people (especially your generation) don't see anything wrong with that. Likewise, I don't get today's cellphone culture where so many people almost go into withdrawal symptoms if they can't check their email or Facebook page every couple minutes, though that is becoming trans-generational.

Bull. Middle-aged people thought Elvis, Chuck Berry et al were the Devil's music back in the 50s. Our parents' generation considered the Beatles, Rolling Stones or Jimi Hendrix to be nothing but noise. And so on. Funny how pop culture goes right down the tubes just about the time you hit 30.

As far as cars go, yeah I'd be hard pressed to name a visually appealing vehicle made in the last 20 years or so, but even the cheapest imported econobox runs rings around anything built in the muscle car era or before. They're almost maintenance-free, get way better gas mileage and last a whole lot longer. When I was growing up, a 5 year old car was considered ancient, and it was extremely rare to find one 10 years old. Now a 10 year old car is almost considered new.
Hence the part of my quote (only my opinion) Not intended to be a fact dude-chill out!

Last edited:
Hence the part of my quote (only my opinion) Not intended to be a fact dude-chill out!

Actually, for the most part I was agreeing with you. Guess that's not how it came out.

People that are still working probably get a lot of good with stores open on Saturday and Sunday with extended hours . They have an opportunity to get things they need for their weekend projects. Our small town rolls up the streets on weekends. Saturday used to be 'the' day when I was young. Thankfully we have a hardware/ farm ranch store that is open weekends.
Yote

now this is "county" . and going back to mid 60's..... mom and my aunt and I ( kid I was ) drove to small town s w Ga town ( 55 Pontiac!) , sat afternoon. parked on main street ( 1 stop light) and entertainment was watching people walk up and down the street. yes main street had ALL the stores of town. Ha
sat night. parents went over to relative for "visit" us kids played outside till time to go home. catching critters and crawn-i-kins. playing " don't eat my ***" with the piggy sows.
catching fireflies to put in our jars. take a break to watch Gunsmoke........ ha

-
Back