the good ole days?

-
I know you are correct about inflation, but seemed like I had so much more money then. But then again I wasn't married, and didn't have 2 kids in college with another one who has gotten married and we have a new granddaughter. I definitely wasn't retired and. Working part time.
Life is good now as it was then, different, but good
I agree. I know exactly how you feel. I remember making slightly above minimum wage at 18 and living quite comfortably.

But then I factor in that I had 2 roommates sharing rent in an apartment and basically lived off of fast food and cheap beer and drove A 12 year old car I bought for a few hundred bucks. No cable, cell phone bills, kids karate classes, rental home, maintenance, mortgage, insurance, blah blah blah that eats away at every last bit. Oh and Taxes (that's for you RR).

But I could always go back to renting a cheap three bedroom apartment with two roommates, disconnect all my devices, and drive a cheap car and live on microwave meals and cheap beer and enjoy the relative low cost of living.

And there it is. Moving the goal posts once again with a deflection.

"Did you also adjust for our ridiculous tax rate"

then

"It's not the RATE"

Which is it?

And what does this have to do with thecost versus inflation on Milk and Gas?

Rusty is correct when he says there are more things taxed these days. No I didn't do research to prove my point because I know it is true in my heart as I see it and live it every day. Growing up there weren't the safety nets that are available today. How many remember government cheese and government peanut butter? How many remember powdered milk? I am not complaining about the past, those times are gone and the nation is less because of it. We reminisce about the past because things WERE better then, period.

this I know. back in the 60's, 70's, I could buy a horse, saddle, used car, truck, piece of land, tractor, goat, etc, buy it on Mon and by fri somebody stopped by and wanted to buy something. no I was not a dealer, just a country boy that traded. never been that way since for me....
one thing that also come to my mind bout those ole days, perhaps people were generally more satisfied with what they had???? few people had to have that huge home, the most and best of everything? we found pleasure in a more simple way of life, that had fewer luxuries ( at least at my house).....
maybe had to do with my being raised by "depression era" parents. conservative was not a word but a fact of life.
as far as the $ and cents argument, I myself feel like I had more back then than the last several d ecades although I have had times in my life where I made pretty good income.
yes I remember .19 cent gas, working after h s at grocery 30 hrs a week, got $1.10 an hour. I was a hard working h s kid with some $$$ and mom and dad paid the bills! life was great!

There is a lot more cholesterol out there now compared to the "good ol days" and liberal
attitudes make many more vulnerable,especially younger people...

Rusty is correct when he says there are more things taxed these days. No I didn't do research to prove my point because I know it is true in my heart as I see it and live it every day. Growing up there weren't the safety nets that are available today. How many remember government cheese and government peanut butter? How many remember powdered milk? I am not complaining about the past, those times are gone and the nation is less because of it. We reminisce about the past because things WERE better then, period.

Can't argue with that. And I agree. What started the derail with RR and I was the examples he used. Milk and Gas.

He would have made a better case with things that actually cost relatively more. College tuition and basic medical care would have been great examples of cost of living comparisons.

I add. back in the 60's a kid could go to Jr college for peanuts, could also get a 4 yr degree for few more nuts. now kids graduate oweing $60000! go figure. I buy milk here for $2.45 gal. milk price war!

How much of this nostalgia is due to technology? Has the World really changed so much or has our unlimited access to it changed our perception?

Most of the things mentioned in this thread my family does today. My kids play outside. We go to church and visit relatives every Sunday. We are respectful of others property. Etc.

Of course things are different but are they really THAT much different?

Traveling around a lot, it all depends where you are. You are lucky.

I remember my grandfather would leave with $200 cash and go buy a used car. He would normally come back with something pretty good.

Traveling around a lot, it all depends where you are. You are lucky.

We move a lot (Navy) and have lived in 8 different places across the Country, both urban and rural in the last 15yrs. So far, no child abductions or murdered on the side of the road for helping a stranger. Most people are polite and courteous, hold doors for each other, say hello etc. just like they did 25+yrs ago. I wave to the neighbors, they wave back.

The biggest difference I have seen is the fear factor people have about society "Stranger Danger!". I meet parents (and especially grandparents) who are absolutely convinced that their kids are going to get abducted the moment they are out of sight. When you research the data about child abduction, molestation, rape, etc. the overwhelming majority is done by family members and family friends. But decades of tv drama and national news headlines has people convinced otherwise so they helicopter their kids and keep them inside or restricted to the driveway.

I'm not absolutely convinced that society has become more dangerous as much as our perception of it has.

Last edited:
We move a lot (Navy) and have lived in 8 different places across the Country, both urban and rural in the last 15yrs. So far, no child abductions or murdered on the side of the road for helping a stranger. Most people are polite and courteous, hold doors for each other, say hello etc. just like they did 25+yrs ago. I wave to the neighbors, they wave back.

The biggest difference I have seen is the fear factor people have about society "Stranger Danger!". I meet parents (and especially grandparents) who are absolutely convinced that their kids are going to get abducted the moment they are out of sight. When you research the data about child abduction, molestation, rape, etc. the overwhelming majority is done by family members and family friends. But decades of tv drama and national news headlines has people convinced otherwise so they helicopter their kids and keep them inside or restricted to the driveway.

I'm not absolutely convinced that society has become more dangerous as much as our perception of it has.

Baltimore, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia all have places you best not be. Huge difference between South Carolina and Baltimore. There is good and bad in both places. The difference was striking.

Baltimore, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia all have places you best not be. Huge difference between South Carolina and Baltimore. There is good and bad in both places. The difference was striking.

Most definitely. But is there more bad or worse places now than 50 years ago? Back before smartphones and 24/7 news murders, rapes, and crime in bad areas weren't displayed on a National scale. Only the most heinous of crimes made even local headline in those areas.

On a side note: One of the worst places I have been was in Charleston SC in the 90's (my home town). Made a wrong turn while working a delivery job and ended up in a trailer park in the industrial district off of Spriull Ave. Got swarmed by people trying to sell drugs and banging on the side of the van. They boxed me in and just stared me down for what seemed like an eternity. Even living in Oakland and Seattle was less scary than that day!

Can't argue with that. And I agree. What started the derail with RR and I was the examples he used. Milk and Gas.

He would have made a better case with things that actually cost relatively more. College tuition and basic medical care would have been great examples of cost of living comparisons.

So I gave bad examples. Then why is it everybody else knew EXACTLY what I was talkin about except you? I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this. Either I am bad at communicating it, or you're too stupid to understand.

So I gave bad examples. Then why is it everybody else knew EXACTLY what I was talkin about except you? I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this. Either I am bad at communicating it, or you're too stupid to understand.
All done here too. Not sure why you have to resort to insults and slights. Must be something you learned in the good ol days.

Have a nice day.

All done here too. Not sure why you have to resort to insults and slights. Must be something you learned in the good ol days.

Have a nice day.
Apparently you are prone to insults also.

Knock it off, guys.
I miss the red-purple stains from premium gas on my Carter AFB bowl vents.
I miss custard pies.
I miss ECKO tire-flators with the ding bell.
I miss the rubber hose by the pumps that would ding a bell in the garage side of the gas station.
I miss the old drive ins with the most incredibly cute carhops and a lot full of vintage cars.
I miss music on AM radio.
The world continues to change.
I miss the days when family came first, you could cash your paycheck at the supermarket, pay your electric, water, sewer and phone in cash at a counter.
I miss my children.
But that seems to be the whole point of no fault divorce.

on the somber side. yes this is life. at age 68 I missed my 50th high school reunion, graduated 1966.... but 1000mi away and other factors I could not attend. I learned that basically 25% of our class has already passed. I miss the youth of the 60's when all us kids were "just kids". I miss my cousin , my age, that died of lung cancer 10 years ago, he was 58, he smoked heavily. I miss my best friends.... that our friendship first developed back in the 60's, they both passed ten years ago. they never made it to age 58. life is way too short many times...
I add these comments to this thread I started , not to be discussing the dark side of life, but to point out , especially to the younger group, that they will find as they travel life's path, they will make memories....... of good and bad times....they will reflect upon those times as life marches on.

i miss the deals i passed on in the 70s, most notably a 67 shelby gt 500 with 427,dual 4s and 4 spd for 1600 and the 70 buick gsx on a native reserve for 300, the old guy parked it one day when it wouldnt start, he'd bought it brand new and only remembered that it went ''like a bat out of hell''!same time period walking through airport with an uncased 30-o6 enfield, getting my ticket and boarding plane and handing rifle to stewardess who put it in the cockpit with other hunters firearms. try that and live to talk about it nowadays!

Life just seemed simpler. Sure we had no money, so what? It did not take 200.00 to get a weeks groceries! A months rent in a nice two bed house, 100.00 a month! When rent got raised to 125.00 we had to move, could not afford it. Kids playing in the neighborhood hide and seek, or whatever......No worries of getting shot or abducted. I am sure it happened but it was a long way from "here".

Life just seemed simpler. Sure we had no money, so what? It did not take 200.00 to get a weeks groceries! A months rent in a nice two bed house, 100.00 a month! When rent got raised to 125.00 we had to move, could not afford it. Kids playing in the neighborhood hide and seek, or whatever......No worries of getting shot or abducted. I am sure it happened but it was a long way from "here".
I remember more bad times than good growing up. won`t go into detail.

-
Back