The Great White Brick - '69 Valiant

-
Wow, you've got bigger acorns than I. Love seeing a resurrection like that. Keep up the good work!

Looking really good! Your just burning up the highway....Save some work for spring :lol: :thumbup:

Can someone show me where the passenger side front brake line runs? I know it goes across the firewall, then where? Down through the frame? This car has a hole in the inner fender where it went, but it looks really homemade. I want to weld it up. There's a hole in the frame that looks appropriate...is that right? Maybe someone has a photo? Thanks.

I'll try to take a pic later if I can...right now i can't see the end of my driveway. :0
I'll try to take as many as I can.

Congrats on this project you have taken on. You seem to have inspired many of us. Keep up the good work and keep on posting those pics as you now have quite a fan base. How do you vision this in the end? Colors? Interior? What's the goal?

these brake lines are original from a 74 dart i think...
disks.

im not sure if you can see them but her is the link
it runs across the firewall and turns down under the blower motor..
bends back up to the little mount inside the well.. i can take photos of that too if you would like.

they are on my 66 Vart...
feb307012.jpg

Cerwin

feb307012.jpg

Thanks! It looks like it goes along the firewall then down through or maybe under? the right frame rail! Just as I suspected. I think the hole in the inner fender where mine was is wrong.

I really don't know WHO is watching, but I hope everyone is. The goal is supposed to be a low cost decent daily driver. It's now going to be a slight custom (because of the Demon front end) and will bear emblems that say "Deviant" that I will either make or have someone airbrush on.

The car will go back to its original white color, with a black interior (originally green), will have the garden variety 318 that was in the car when purchased, and will have small bolt pattern turbine wheels and KH disc brakes up front (because I already have all this stuff ready to bolt on, and budget is concern).

As we progress my buddy Tom want to sandblast everything...it's getting out of control! We might as well stick it on a rotisserie..but the car doesn't warrant that kind of restoration. I think we'll use a lot of Por-15 or Rust Bullet instead of sandblasting everything.

With the floor and frame cut out, there really isn't much rust left! It appears to all be "wet carpet" type rust.

IMG_8967.jpg

You're right, the line should wrap under the frame rail and come up through the mount on the other side (where the hose attaches). Same thing on the driver's side except it's a short line from the distribution block that wraps under the frame.

So it goes UNDER the frame, not through it? There's this little hole in the frame that would be perfect.

No, it does not go through the frame - hugs the frame and wraps under it with 90 degree bends. There are a number of holes in the frame - some of which serve no apparent purpose. Of course, if you're going to fab your own lines you can probably run them wherever you want.

keep in mind, if you go through the frame at least insulate the line so it wont ware through by rubbing. Sorry if this seems obvious, just wouldnt want you to over look it and have an issue later. C' ya great job by the way!

Deviant is the best name for the car. :thumbup: I love it. Keep working on the logo or have someone offer up some other ideas. What about the little demon guy with his pitch fork stabbed into a barracuda fish....err strike that. Better idea.... into a my 'little pony' doll head/skull or a limping impala or even a goat(gto). Now that's deviant behavior.

Awesome work

too much free time playing with photoshop. complex program for me. but here's a funny one

demondodgeponykillerweb.gif

Excellent! Yes, the Devil guy doing something. I prefer to leave other brands/cars out of it, just the Demon and Valiant logos mixed together....

I've been working on this, but I need to make the "M" a "V" still.

deviant.jpg

No forking of other makes and models. :thumbup: Had fun doing it at the time. This may be a little more to your liking. Would love to see what a real artist can do.

deviantfork.gif

65S, Thank you so much for this posting and pictures, I have to hand it to you and your buddy, excellent work! I have to perform a similar job on my 70 Dart project I know all about the salt issues here north of the border, the inside of my project looks like swiss cheese. I am in New Brunswick and I have not found a front frame so I will fab one up using the old as a pattern. I did get a rear frame assembly but cost a lot for shipping!! Nice steal on that floor, I am in the same boat and there is nothing in this area so I will order all pans from Ultimate Performance Car in Ontario and fab the rest to fill in the empty spaces. I need to fab some sills as well to be able to get the car level before I start frame work, thanks again for the pics of your process they should help me a great deal!! :thumbup:

Dave, the Valiant V is kinda cool in there but now the Devil looks like he's holding a big popsicle! hahah...

70Dart -> I believe it's important to have the inner rockers solid and the car levelled with it resting on jack stands before removing the front frame sections. Glad the photos are helping someone else, I should really take more.

65s I am going to pick your brain a bit if thats okay....

Since I need to replace the sills(inner rockers) the complete floor, rocker panels, front frame, trunk floor and rear frame. I know the cars needs to be leveled before the sills are replaced, but with all that needs replacing what do they get welded to? I should not do the rear frame, trunk, an drear floor until the sills are in right? Do the sill just get welded to the inner body, then the outer rockers get welded to them, and the floor edges get welded to them on the inside does this sound right and in the correct order? :confused:

That's a tough one. I don't know. My Valiant still had/has good outer rocker panels, so we welded in new sills first with the car sitting on the rockers. That set the stage to remove the front frame and floor and get a new front frame in with the rockers and sills as a guide and a levelling benchmark.

I have seen a website with a guy and a Mustang where he hung the car from the ceiling of his garage by the A-pillars and C-pillars, levelled it that way, then cut out the whole bottom end of the car and replaced it. Maybe you could do that? Do you have any firewall or rear rocker parts to jack it up on?

I'd be careful not to cut out too much at once. Do it piecemeal, a bit at a time. Haste makes waste. Just think it through first.

In the end, if the car is a little crooked, the alignment guy will let you know and you can just shove it onto a frame straightener and tweak it a little. I expect the Valiant may need this once we're done. No biggie. It needed to be done to my '65 Barracuda too and now it drives straight as an arrow.

65S the rockers are there one is pretty good and the other is so so meaning some places in it are not strong enough to lift the car by without crumpling a fair amount. So are you saying that you had the body (rocker panels) sitting right on the floor? ( it would be level this way for sure!) what do the sills get welded to besides the outer rocker? Yes there is firewall and rear rocker places adequate for jacking. I have also used a long length of 4 x 4 under the rocker to jack it up with, without sagging in the past. Do you mean to build the sill in pieces and replace and weld them in instead of a complete sill?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to screw this up and have to do it over. Thanks for all of the information. You wouldn't by any chance becoming to New Brunswick over the summer would you LOL? Thanks again!

No, the car was sitting on jackstands, positioned at the front of the rocker, just ahead of where the crossmember is located, and at the rear on the rear frame. Here's a couple of photos showing the front jackstands.

The sill gets welded along the bottom to the outer rocker and along the top to the door frame I guess you could call it. If all this is missing on your car, I think your car might be too far gone to fix. You need a certain amount of metal to be intact, know what I mean?

IMG_8955.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

I think there should be enough to weld to 65S I will snap a few pics tomorrow and post then to get your opinion if thats okay with you. Thanks once again for the info, I appreciate it! :notworth:

65S,

These are pics of the inside passenger side taken from drivers side. The passenger side outer rocker is quite solid. The other pics are inner and outer driver's side rocker. What do you think? Enough to go with or too far gone?

-
Back