the hated 4 doors...

-
4 door sedans have always been considered family vehicles and 2 door cars have always been considered sporty. That's just the way it is. Two door cars can usually have a nicer roofline. They just look better.

why is the four door sedan a hated vehicle...?
why are they considered parts cars?
why is this so..?

I don't think they are hated (unless you get beat by one).. lol
I've parted a few 2 doors to get the more door on the road.
ya, they don't get much love, even the "B" body more door.
Funny but the truck guys love a crew cab.
What I like is you can do whatever to a 4 door
no one cares...lol

072_zps6sxcq7nu.jpg

SAM_3856.JPG

3240620016_zpsigrlu1st-1.jpg

4 door sedans have always been considered family vehicles and 2 door cars have always been considered sporty. That's just the way it is. Two door cars can usually have a nicer roofline. They just look better.

This. Usually the design process was centered around the 2 door cars. The 4 door cars were then made to work from there. So, the lines on the 2 door cars flow, and the lines on the 4 door cars look like an afterthought. Because they pretty much were.

Same for convertibles. That’s why so many of the convertible musclecars look like crap. The original design was for the hardtops. Then they chopped the top off to make the convertibles, so, the lines of the car don’t work with the top down.

The reverse works for cars that were designed as true roadsters, they always look like crap with the top up because their lines were designed to flow without one.

Between that and being stigmatized as little old lady cars, 4 doors get no love. Or value, so, parts cars. The front clip for my Duster to demon clone job came from a 4 door a dude was parting out. Clean car too, couldn’t sell it complete. I almost felt bad, but I wasn’t gonna buy the whole car either.

Four doors are mega cool .....when they have a "backpack" attached. :)

I know what the OP is talking about because wagons were considered parts cars for many years but now they are becoming something people are attracted to, maybe the same will happen to 4 doors in the future.

5151.jpg

389584_eab46f5bcc_low_res.jpg

75255.jpg

Back in the day these old things were plentiful. If you had a four door it's because it was something Dad handed down. That's back in the day, but things are different now. It's to the point that if you're just getting into the hobby you take what you can get.

A few years ago, I would never consider a 4 door. Now I would. Prices are so ridiculous around here on ANYTHING from the 60s and 70s with 2 doors. I don't care if the rockers and floors are rusted out, they think it is a gold mine.

I have three 1970 4-doors - so far.

I made an offer on another one last week.

People do love them, I know I do.

Four doors are mega cool .....when they have a "backpack" attached. :)

I know what the OP is talking about because wagons were considered parts cars for many years but now they are becoming something people are attracted to, maybe the same will happen to 4 doors in the future.

View attachment 1715098495

View attachment 1715098496

View attachment 1715098497

i think you're on to something, 4 doors look like mix between a 2 door and a wagon, the worst of both worlds

The sound of four doors being rapidly closed one after another as your beer drinking buddies piled in was always got a laugh, cruising around in a plain Jane grandma car, nothing but "wheels" in the day, now it would be for nostalgia and as a cool daily driver

Hate is an ugly word for any ugly state of mind.

Love is where it's at baby!

moredoor, pa.JPG

88,000 original miles, 383, towing package so it has the front sway bar & HD brakes. The only modification - I added a NOS cone style Sure-Grip to the 489 case 3.23s.

fury iii old photo.JPG

This one is very awesome. 1970 Valiant, 38,000 miles, 318, manual steering, 3.23 gears in an 8 3/4, HD drum brakes, rubber floor mat & D13 - Manual 3-speed stick on the floor.

VERY fun to drive, like a mini Road Runner & it will chirp them in second - bone stock.

car.JPG

Cause they are granny cars. But I had a 69 Valiant 100 4 door I drove daily for about 10 years.I loved that little car.

In another forum years ago a person said four doors had no heritage and should all be parts cars for two doors. I disagree and so did the other people in that forum.

-
Back