the hated 4 doors...

-
In another forum years ago a person said four doors had no heritage and should all be parts cars for two doors. I disagree and so did the other people in that forum.

People forget.

The high performance Chrysler car sales alone would not have kept the company afloat by themselves. Many of the 'top dogs' were limited production because very few people wanted them.

The 4 doors, wagons & low performance gas friendly cars kept the company going.

So thanks to the lowly cars, the HP low production units were possible.

The heritage is shared. :)

'65 Valiant when I bracket raced it/cruised Main Street (swapped in A833):

1965 Valiant Effort.jpg

Same '65 Valiant today (new owners changed a few things)

456998_107573419387519_1204788620_o.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer them. Better seating position, stiffer unibody, higher center of gravity, still plentiful and cheap.
Half my fleet of 10 is 2 door, half 4, but lately the only things that tempt me to expand on that are the Sedans

American car culture centered around the sporty 2 door, and 4 doors were always mundane transportation. That's changing, though. I'd love a daily driver sporty 4 door sedan, wouldn't bother me one bit.

I tend to think that a lot of us "older" guys that have been in the hobby for years and decades, we still enjoy the f eel of awesome hp and torque, but we tend to get to a point in life where we also appreciate just tooling down the back roads in any mopar, be it a slant, 4 door, wagon, etc.... I know I do....
I have a few "mainstream" mopors, but lately I have had the urge for a solid, straight early B body more door. NO fresh paint, just a drive anywhere and never worry about it ride!!! CHEAP..... I figure under $1500 totally investment.

They aren’t really hated. But they used to be easy and cheap to buy so they made good parts cars.

4 doors are gaining popularity though as prices go up on two doors.

I would love a 70-71 A body 4 door 318 4 speed in green or brown....

I'd like to get my hands on an A body moredoor. 67-72, but 73 to 76 would be ok too after shitcanning all the extra bumper weight. These would make great sleepers. All the hot roddy stuff from a 2 door fits them. How bout a 410 stroker or 440, 4 speed, or 727 auto 69 dart moredoor with a ford xploder 8.8 complete in granny green paint, with a gator green top, and interior. Minitub it , put steelies on it with dog dish poverty caps, make it a stroker, with a slightly mild cam so its not choppy, add nitrous. If auto, leave it column shift. Use brake light indicator for a shift light. Make it as low key as possible. Well thats my recipe , but i have too many irons in the fire so it will prob never happen in my shop.

I'd love to pick one up for a daily driver. There was a 74 valiant 4 door for sale near me awhile ago for $1200 in running and driving condition.

When people would ask "Why a 4 door ?" my reply "Because it does the same as a 2 door,maybe better." When I was racing the 4 door Dart and waiting in the staging lanes ,the guys would come around and sit in it with all doors open.They said "Too much trouble getting in and out of our cars especially with cages."

IMG_0696.JPG
I drive mine every day from snow melt til snow fall, I have about 2k in it with the 318 magnum and 3 speed stick and 60,000 miles. I think the 4 door Valiant is a really nice looking car.

Agree,Damn nice car ^^^^ I love the fact it's a floor shift !

View attachment 1715098564 I drive mine every day from snow melt til snow fall, I have about 2k in it with the 318 magnum and 3 speed stick and 60,000 miles. I think the 4 door Valiant is a really nice looking car.

That looks exactly like my first car (a '70 dark green 4-door Valiant). I got it in '81 (from a little old lady!) with only 77k miles on it. It only had the 198 and an auto, but provided good basic transportation for years.

That looks exactly like my first car (a '70 dark green 4-door Valiant). I got it in '81 (from a little old lady!) with only 77k miles on it. It only had the 198 and an auto, but provided good basic transportation for years.

Yup, mine is a 71 4 door in amber sherwood poly. 225, auto, deluxe bench. 70k mile granny car. Daily drive it 3 seasons. Fixed a few things. Got some sbp ralleys. It will probably get a refresh with some goodies in the coming couple winters.

It was affordable in cash, no rot on it besides weather strip etc.

Also, alaskan t/a probably has the best more door on here

Because all the cars they love are two doors, and the cars their friends love are two doors.

It's basic human emotion and ego psychology. Hate is fear.

Man, i paid a little more than that for an almost mint 71 in canada where in this province they are almost non existant. That car would be maybe 1k to me if the body is not rotten.

I think as the 2 doors have become almost unreachable in price to most average joes around these parts of canada(excluding rotten junk) so the 4 doors and 2 and 4 door full size cars from all makes have made it affordable to get into the hobby, and lots of nice examples still exist.

If i was a body man at all i would buy a project, but i hate it. Engines and trans are fun to rebuild for me though.

-
Back