The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

-
lots of great information here. I am getting ready to do this swap on my 66. Donor parts courtesy of my brother in laws 71 340 duster.

Thanks for the info

It's probably just me but... In reading this thread, I never could understand just what constituted the rotor for the KH conversion.

I am converting my '67 to the KH discs so I ordered rotors and got just the discs themselves.

Yesterday I got to doing that part of the job and, just to clarify, the discs are seperate from the hubs, but you have to press the lug studs out and back in with a hydraulic press to change them. No problem, all went well. Awesome!

KH disc hubs are unique and not reproduced unfortunately.
Great thread and info as I'm doing my brakes now also.
It's probably just me but... In reading this thread, I never could understand just what constituted the rotor for the KH conversion.

I am converting my '67 to the KH discs so I ordered rotors and got just the discs themselves.

Yesterday I got to doing that part of the job and, just to clarify, the discs are seperate from the hubs, but you have to press the lug studs out and back in with a hydraulic press to change them. No problem, all went well. Awesome!

KH disc hubs are unique and not reproduced unfortunately.
Great thread and info as I'm doing my brakes now also.

I was real lucky to get a pretty nice and complete set up, (including hubs) to work with! FABO has been priceless in guiding me along too!

It would be a nice addition to this thread if anyone knew a good source for the KH lug nut studs. I don't recall seeing them listed.

I found that my right hand threaded ones all had damage to the first few threads for some reason, but they cleaned up enough to be serviceable, and I have been really getting frustrated with trying to communicate with what today passes for parts people... so I let it go, and re-used them.

I just had 9 glorious consecutive days to wrench on the Barracuda, but now back to work (job). Looking forward to getting back to it it soon as I can!

It would be a nice addition to this thread if anyone knew a good source for the KH lug nut studs. I don't recall seeing them listed.!

Pop one of your old ones out, mic it up, and see if you can match it with something in the link below. Take the number that works, and plug it into Rock Auto, or take it to your favorite parts store.
Don't forget that if you will be running aftermarket wheels with a thicker hub area, you'll need longer studs to have adequate thread engagement.

Dorman Products - Search Results

I was real lucky to get a pretty nice and complete set up, (including hubs) to work with! FABO has been priceless in guiding me along too!

It would be a nice addition to this thread if anyone knew a good source for the KH lug nut studs. I don't recall seeing them listed.

I found that my right hand threaded ones all had damage to the first few threads for some reason, but they cleaned up enough to be serviceable, and I have been really getting frustrated with trying to communicate with what today passes for parts people... so I let it go, and re-used them.

I just had 9 glorious consecutive days to wrench on the Barracuda, but now back to work (job). Looking forward to getting back to it it soon as I can!

Replacement for Mopar OEM disc studs 2768028...... use Dorman 610-130
Please note... these are usually sold in packs of 10 and are right handed thread.
Summit Racing and Rock Auto sell these along with many parts stores.

Funny I had a feller tell me vehemently that I should ditch my Kelsey Hayes and put later disk brakes on with large bolt pattern and 15 inch wheels...

Funny I had a feller tell me vehemently that I should ditch my Kelsey Hayes and put later disk brakes on with large bolt pattern and 15 inch wheels...

The Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes was the best brake system system ever put on an A body and will out perform the single piston disc brakes.
There was a company, forgot their name, that was producing a one piece large bolt circle rotor if you wish to use the large bolt pattern wheels on these knuckles (spindles)

-
Back