The Lil Bull goes 160!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
I copied my post from moparts:
Went to Rockfalls WIS today to see what i could get out of the Dart. I made three runs, and unfortunately all three runs had an issue. The air was fair, at a DA of 2400 by my weather station.
First pass, a water temp fitting decided to leak, causing spin in the 60 ft. It has gone 1.224 two previous passes last year, and it slowed to 1.295 with spin. Still went 128.97 at 5.529 in the 1/8th, 8.642 at 156.94 in the 1/4.
The second pass it rolled out of the beams at idle, I hit it anyway and after about a one second delay got going and hit 160.23 mph! The 1/8th mph was off a bit at126.18 (2.9 mph!) but the 160.13 mph tells me this Bull will run sub 8.50s when i get it sorted out.
The third pass it launched well, but went left before the 60 ft clocks, slowing it at least .03 to a 1.254 . BUT,,,,IT CLOCKED 129.11 MPH. In the 1/8th! And that was with the car trying to pull to the left out of the grove the full length of the run. A little further out of the grove and i would have lifted.
And with that kinda hairy ride, i decided new rear tires are needed, so i chose not to run again . Alll in all, i managed to get more out of it, managed to learn how to get that new head/neck restraint, neck collar and helmet all on together. But it is a pain to deal with. But i came home with all the paint like it was, and no broken parts that i am aware of
So at 2905 lbs, and a 2400 density altitude, that motor is putting out pretty good. The second pass i upped the shift rpm to 7200, and i bet the graph will show 7450 and 7350 actual shifts. Considering max dyno hp was not till 7600 rpm, if i want to push it there should be more there.

IMG_20230825_143824961.jpg

I should have posted the last run numbers. 1/4 et was 8.564, but only 157 mph and a handfull, oulling towards the wall. It should run high 8.40s if i let it shift at about 7800. Also i am leaving at only 3900 rpm, with a 6200 stall converter. I run an air cylinder throttle controller, and it takes about a tenth of a second to fully open the throttle at launch . That forced me to pull .05 out of my delay box.

Last edited:
That is straight up rippin.
Congratulations, very awesome.
Do you have a thread on your car Greg???

Delay box? Air throttle? All thems is cheatin! lol

Seriously, great runs, Greg! I love that car!

She’s rippin Greg. More to come when you get it sorted out. There’s no doubt about it. Congratulations. Keep it goin.

I should have posted the last run numbers. 1/4 et was 8.564, but only 157 mph and a handfull, oulling towards the wall. It should run high 8.40s if i let it shift at about 7800. Also i am leaving at only 3900 rpm, with a 6200 stall converter. I run an air cylinder throttle controller, and it takes about a tenth of a second to fully open the throttle at launch . That forced me to pull .05 out of my delay box.
Screaming! Congrats!

Congrats, you've put in the work to get here. I'd almost keep the RPM down for now until you get the front-half spot-on because you'll be under 8.50 at low rpm. You can pretty much see where you'll be by the 1/8th without them bouncing you. You are at about where I'd like to be enough power to go the cert 8.50 with a cushion "just in case".

Congrats, you've put in the work to get here. I'd almost keep the RPM down for now until you get the front-half spot-on because you'll be under 8.50 at low rpm. You can pretty much see where you'll be by the 1/8th without them bouncing you. You are at about where I'd like to be enough power to go the cert 8.50 with a cushion "just in case".
ValiantS, i agree. At 7,000 shift point it would be above 8.50 by a fair amount with current settings. Things that would optimize this car: much more agressive launch. New tires that are 15 x 15 x33 are on order. The converter could be quite a bit looser, as it only stalls 6200 and max hp is 7600. I am told it may do better stalling 6800 or more? I figure there is a 1.18 60 ft possible with more launch rpm, fresh, wider rubber, and the looser converter. On top of that it would probably gain down track by being above 7000 rpm for most of the run. As soon as i get organized i will post data logs, if possible. In ideal air and all the improvements i think would help, my guess is it could dip into mid 8.30s? But no point in chasing a number i can't run.

Hope you know a good cyropractor, that Dart is hooked up and flying down the track :thumbsup:
Congratulations

Haulin! And it looks GREAT. Geez man that little car looks like 10 pounds packed into a 5 pound bag!!

-
Back