the things we do for love

-
Oh well it don't matter I ain't from here either. I'm not from up north but I kinda in the middle. Kentucky

check it out. you asked how i get my shape right. this is how i do it.

dart 002.jpg

dart 003.jpg

dart 004.jpg

dart 008.jpg

dart 007.jpg

this process took around 20 minutes. it helps to have a "known to be good" pattern to go by. i let my ends run wild into the opening, or off the bottom, then go back over the line with a self setting punch and connect the dots. then snip your ends to the line. get out the hammer and dolly, and go to whippin'.

dart 009.jpg

dart 010.jpg

dart 011.jpg

dart 012.jpg

dart 017.jpg

dart 022.jpg

Thats a cool trick I think I am gonna get a set of stright wheelwell moulding and use for mine. Otherwise I will screw something up.

it don't matter how you get there, just get there! there are so many schools of thought on this stuff, that you really gotta do what you know you can do. just don't be afraid to try something new!

i wanted to show the transfer to the patch too. once you get the patch in place and have the end running wild into the opening, i put the paper pattern in the same spot on the subject panel and punch mark the line through the paper onto the panel. that is the break line.

pokes dart sport 158.jpg

How are you gonna finish off the seams where it wasn't but welded? Lookin good by the way, a true inspiration.

man there is still a ton and a half of welding and grinding to do yet, but it really is simple. it is gonna take at least three tubes of seam sealer to do all of the exposed seams. both inside and out. but it has to be etching primed everywhere first. i would have to say that i'm now getting to the most challenging part of this entire job. the rear really is pretty complicated. you have so many different parts to get hooked together in this area. thr trunk floor extensions have to be hooked to the taillight panel, which in this case also has to be repaired before it can have the quarter panel attatched. these things can all be avoided if you get all new sheetmetal, but this is the redneck way, so, you can see what that entails. i've done this a couple of times, so i kinda know what to expect. the aftermarket parts are a whole lot easier to deal with, especially at the attatching points where you have to do your welding. the way i'm doing this is probably not the preferred method, but ive donr this about every way that it can be done. and i have as much fun doing it like this as any. the challenge is about ten times as intense. and you really get to hone your skill to a fairly fine edge. and in case it isn't completely obvious, i'm having a ball! i really appreciate the words of encouragement, it really keeps me pumped up! you all are too kind.

WOW! Glad to see I'm not the only one adding parts and pieces of styeal. Keep at it it will be worth it.

um...... i, uh..... um.......... well, no........... not really, how could you tell?

Because it looks damn good? Can't fool me. I know nice work when I see it lol.

Coming along real nice.

Grant

Man watching you fix this car makes me wanna get out in garage and work on mine. And as soon as I can get well enough thats what I am gonna do, referencing your build the whole way. You are doing outstanding work.

this thing has been a ton of fun. and it is for my baby bro, so it is twice as much fun. this is how it was done back in the day. you know, before the aftermarket began repoping panels and stuff.

Man it looks even better now that you cant see the seams. Keep posting I will keep looking.

-
Back