Thermoquad ID

-

Mr. Sinister

Devastation Manager
Reaction score
4F7F3F00-FD1C-432F-8660-0AAD7D2B391E.jpeg

Tell me what I have.

A 9103S Carter Thermoquad Carburetor.....
Sorry. Had to....

Model #- year-engine-trans-“F” Federal
Unknown number to me
Main jet .098
Secondary jet .143
Rod # - see list below in the link for sizes of the rod
1-1/2 = primary size
2 = kit to repair/refresh

910377 400 HP AT F (4027761)4098514322111-1/22

Below is a what is called the “Vaanth” TQ list. He did a good job cataloging the Carter carbs. There is some missing information from time to time and a rare in accuracy or conflict of informational or which I have stumbled on or very little consequence.

It’s a long read but the TQ numbers, as well as others are a decent scroll down. Just keep scrolling….. keep scrolling

A Carter Thermo-Quad Guide

What you have is an excellent 850 cfm carb for a performance engine that will not only provide great, reliable performance, but good mileage also.....

I thought the 9103 was a Lean Burn carb, it doesn't have the port for the distributor vacuum advance.

In 1977, that would be the case.

A vacuum port for the distributor can be installed. You’ll just need the fitting, OEM or home made & a drill bit properly sized for your fitting. Something like Indian head gasket shellac can be used to seal the fitting if need be.

On leanburn set ups, the distributors vacuum port is located on the computer mounted on the air cleaner.

Adding one to the carb is doing a copy cat to the earlier OEM carb.

If I recall it’s in the baseplate front going into the primarys.
I have the write up out in the barn, I’ll check it out this afternoon..

But where would it be on a non lean burn carb?
There’s no vacuum port for the distributor on the carb.
It’s all handled by the computer.
The distributor Uses a timed source, the computer uses a full time source IIRC.

Crap - fat fingers - wait for editing

Just copy a older TQ and drill and install it like the OEM has it.
The LB carbs just did t drill the base plate. From memory, everything behind where it is drilled is still there. Once I get back home, I’ll dig up the spare parts bin of TQ’s and post up some pictures. Once you see it, you’ll probably say to yourself,
“OH! DUH!”

No worries, sorry to say it’ll be a while before I get home.
I’ll check back in to see if someone beat me to the punch and if not, I’ll post pictures up.

I made that modification to one carb, but when I have 40-50 other early TQs to pick from
In 1977, that would be the case.

A vacuum port for the distributor can be installed. You’ll just need the fitting, OEM or home made & a drill bit properly sized for your fitting. Something like Indian head gasket shellac can be used to seal the fitting if need be.

, it is not worth my time.

-
Back