Thermoquad - Lokar kickdown

-

gerty

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Lokar kickdown cable on a T/Q? Pics of the hookup method to the carb would be very helpful. Lokar's instructions are not much help.
Thanks, Bob

Yes it have and there product, pictures and directions are not for use with a TQ. Or OE AVS & AFB carbs.

The Edelbrocks can use the kick down cable because they use the throttle adapter. This provides a location for the cable.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The adapter lever, I took and used its profile view to make a flat plate and drilled 3 holes in it. 1 hole for the throttle stud, 1 hole for the little hole on the carbs arm and 1 at the bottom for the lokar cable. I bolted said flat plate on the TQ's arm at the stud and a nut and bolt you need to source out from a hardware store.

Somewhere in this forum in my vast amount of posts, I have a picture of this on a OE AVS.

When I get home, I'll see what I can whip up for you.

Yes it have and there product, pictures and directions are not for use with a TQ. Or OE AVS & AFB carbs.

The Edelbrocks can use the kick down cable because they use the throttle adapter. This provides a location for the cable.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The adapter lever, I took and used its profile view to make a flat plate and drilled 3 holes in it. 1 hole for the throttle stud, 1 hole for the little hole on the carbs arm and 1 at the bottom for the lokar cable. I bolted said flat plate on the TQ's arm at the stud and a nut and bolt you need to source out from a hardware store.

Somewhere in this forum in my vast amount of posts, I have a picture of this on a OE AVS.

When I get home, I'll see what I can whip up for you.

I kind of did the same thing with my Edelbrock as you did with your TQ, but the reason I made mine was for geometry adjustments over the Eddie bracket.
I can adjust the TP to react quicker or slower in the throttle travel as well as the amount of travel by changing where it is in a slot.

SANY0010.JPG

My first attempt at this resulted in a longer, wider lower adapter half just for that exact reason. And not knowing what exactly I was doing. First time was without the bracket in hand, just in my head.
(Leaving for home now)

Sorry for all those awaiting these shots. (Gerty) I have been snowed under so to speak.

These pictures apply to all the OE Carter carbs except a WCFB. I have not had the pleasure of seeing one close enough to know yet.
You will need snips to cut a
Aluminum sheet or mild steel
A drill and bits
2, bolts, nuts, washers.

First up is an OE small AVS on top of that old 318 Duster on the cheap thread I did years back. Lokar cables for throttle and trans. The OE carb doesn't have a provision for the kick down cable so you have to make your own adapter. E-Z, P-Z! This adapter was aluminum (.060 thick or so) I think though a mild steel plate would do just as fine. A small sheet can be picked up at the local hardware store, like ACE or similar. The hardware (nuts, bolts, washers) are a parts bin find in my garage thopugh I'm sure a hardware store like ACE would have something for you. Just measure with a mic or fit a drill bit into the carb's throttle lever for a approximate size need for the bolts to be used. 1 large and 1 small to attach the plate to the carbs throttle arm. The bottom hole is for the cable for the trans kick down. Approximate it's placement with the Edelbrock adapter. Which will not attach to the OE carb.

The same trick applies to the TQ. Though I can not find a finished picture, you can at least see that I'm just about done with this one. Just a quick drilling to make the hole for the Lokar cable stud. And I'm done.
Note the extra 4th hole onthe red adapter on the AVS. That would or could be for a OE return spring.
Note that the throttle stud is in place on the TQ.

100_1312.JPG
TQ-Lokar kickdown cable mod 005.jpg
TQ-Lokar kickdown cable mod 005.jpg
TQ-Lokar kickdown cable mod 002.jpg
TQ-Lokar kickdown cable mod 003.jpg
TQ-Lokar kickdown cable mod 004.jpg

Wow, what a great write up and the pics are excellent too. This should be in the how to section. Thank you so much Rumble.
Bob

Thank you and my pleasure Bob.
I knew I had those pictures. 10 years ago! LOL!

And now, to get the brain working, what design can you come up with. I was working on another one of those plates and though I would make the shape the MoPar omega "M" to employ.

Honestly I'll probably copy your design, I like it. The logo M would be cool but I don't have the skills. My wife is artsy smartsy so I'll put her to work. lol

Thank you and my pleasure Bob.
I knew I had those pictures. 10 years ago! LOL!

And now, to get the brain working, what design can you come up with. I was working on another one of those plates and though I would make the shape the MoPar omega "M" to employ.

Nice work Rumble.
I was thinking the Batman logo for one. :D
Aluminum frying pans with the cheap Teflon that is worn out make good materials also, so when they get retired and leave the kitchen they go into my materials pile.

Does anyone have the measurements where the 3rd hole would go? I just want to make sure I put it in the right place when I make this.
What your basically doing is making a flat version of the adapter part Edelbrock or Holley sells.
The measurement just about 2-1/2 inches (center to center) exactly, downwards and 3/4 of an inch rearwards of the top connection hole on stock MoPar Carter carbs.

Other Carter carbs used on other makes will vary there attachment points.

image.jpg

What your basically doing is making a flat version of the adapter part Edelbrock or Holley sells.
The measurement just about 2-1/2 inches (center to center) exactly, downwards and 3/4 of an inch rearwards of the top connection hole on stock MoPar Carter carbs.

Other Carter carbs used on other makes will vary there attachment points.

View attachment 1715062007

Nice work!
This is precisely what I just ran into, and determined I may have to make my own bracket from the Edelbrock adapter also. I'm surprised an appropriate adapter isn't 'out there' to buy.
64 Dodge Dart GT
'68 318 engine
TF 904 trans

I have the Lokar TC-1000HT throttle cable , the KD-2904 kickdown cable, and the SRK-4000 Throttle Cable Bracket
From what I can tell, I may also have to make or modify the Throttle Cable Bracket because it is NOT LONG ENOUGH to reach the extra width of the ThermoQuad Carb. I think it would be easy to bolt on a short extension, just won't look as tidy. I highlighted it from your own photo. Is there a longer bracket to buy or did you just make one that was a little longer than the SRK-4000?

Throttle cable bracket.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks. That is the stock Lokar throttle bracket.
Nice work!
This is precisely what I just ran into, and determined I may have to make my own bracket from the Edelbrock adapter also. I'm surprised an appropriate adapter isn't 'out there' to buy.
64 Dodge Dart GT
'68 318 engine
TF 904 trans

I have the Lokar TC-1000HT throttle cable , the KD-2904 kickdown cable, and the SRK-4000 Throttle Cable Bracket
From what I can tell, I may also have to make or modify the Throttle Cable Bracket because it is NOT LONG ENOUGH to reach the extra width of the ThermoQuad Carb. I think it would be easy to bolt on a short extension, just won't look as tidy. I highlighted it from your own photo. Is there a longer bracket to buy or did you just make one that was a little longer than the SRK-4000?

View attachment 1715889193

A “How to” pictorial of a Thermoquad & Lokar bracket.

D2754B0B-3ED0-430A-9AC8-6557B2264721.jpeg
4E43D6C3-316E-416E-BA63-A3D66C15249F.jpeg
EB0545D8-7159-4348-AAF5-105004FF79AA.jpeg
DA13142B-387F-4DD5-A601-DCDBE0325EEA.jpeg
3E2C0886-844F-4D6D-A23E-FD960DF37B8E.jpeg
D8ABD07E-6137-45FE-AD5E-7ED55A510FFA.jpeg
046D8551-3038-492F-A095-775A71F28DCA.jpeg
67570ADC-80CD-4D77-9EE8-4C6A0C79AB58.jpeg
DBB31CB9-6FC9-4282-8CC2-A719972C1620.jpeg
74F21262-ECD7-4F7F-A15F-AC1DF883F88D.jpeg

The metal plate was simple .060 (IIRC) picked up from the local hardware store. The throttle lever arm is approximately the same length top to bottom as would any Chrysler Holley/AFB carb adapter.

The TQ has two holes drilled into the throttle arm lever. Do the same rod the metal plate. The throttle cable stud is one hole as seen. The second hole, use a small bolt and nut, washers/lock washer optional rod the smaller hole. Not the plate will not rotate.

The adapter plate for the throttle arm has a “Tail” that hangs low. Going pretty much straight down. This lower hole is for the Lokar transmission cable. It’s distance is approximately the same distance away from the throttle cable arm as the common adapter is.

You may find a minor issue with the Lokar horizontal adjustment screw.

Fantastic. That is exactly how I had planned to approach this, but it is nice to know someone has already been successful with it AND shared the pictures!
I'll be sure to measure my throttle cable travel as well as the kickdown travel to tweak the geometry before I make it all final.
Wish me luck, I'm going to get started :)

Thanks for the quick and thorough response!

Your welcome! Glad to have helped. Take some pictures!

-
Back