Thermostat gasket leaking AGAIN!!!!

-
ok all, i believe i have success. i have used the aviation sealer and a new FELPRO gasket and all seems to be fine. also cleaned threads out completely, got new bolts and added a washer, tried to cover all the bases here. i do believe the problem was the gasket i was getting. it was thin black gasket with sticky on one side. I DO NOT recommend them. the Felpro gasket was thicker as well, maybe 2x thicker.

View attachment 1716282737

OH, and she's a runner now.
By the looks of the rusty bolts, my guess is you were not getting any clamping force. Bolts going tight before the housing was actually seated.

Finally got around to installing the Billet housing and it’s still leaking! I was refilling the radiator and noticed coolant pooling in the exact same spot as before. Frustrating!

Finally got around to installing the Billet housing and it’s still leaking! I was refilling the radiator and noticed coolant pooling in the exact same spot as before. Frustrating!
Are the bolts bottoming out? Are the surfaces flat? Check the obvious first.

Are the bolts bottoming out? Are the surfaces flat? Check the obvious first.
I actually had to get a bunch of gunk out of the bolt holes because the first time I installed it, it wasn’t flush. But once I did that, everything went on smoothly and laid flat. If the thermostat is off center, would that cause issues?

I actually had to get a bunch of gunk out of the bolt holes because the first time I installed it, it wasn’t flush. But once I did that, everything went on smoothly and laid flat. If the thermostat is off center, would that cause issues?
Can you post a photo? It shouldn't move much the the bolts partially threaded, but I've never had one of those fancy billet pieces. I guess I've just been lucky with all of the stock housings I've installed.

I actually had to get a bunch of gunk out of the bolt holes because the first time I installed it
If you install the bolts without the thermostat housing in place they should go all the way in or nearly so.

If the distance between the bottom of the bolt head and the manifold with just the bolt installed is ( just numbers for example) 1/4" and the thermostat housing is 3/8" thick then the bolt bottoming is not the problem.

I would get some radiator fluorescent dye and see if your manifold has a pinhole or crack.

Can you post a photo? It shouldn't move much the the bolts partially threaded, but I've never had one of those fancy billet pieces. I guess I've just been lucky with all of the stock housings I've installed.
Supposed to take it to my buddy’s to paint the wheels today, so if we tear it apart I’ll get a picture. If not, it might be a little bit before I can get back to this project. But once I do I’ll definitely post a picture.

If you install the bolts without the thermostat housing in place they should go all the way in or nearly so.

If the distance between the bottom of the bolt head and the manifold with just the bolt installed is ( just numbers for example) 1/4" and the thermostat housing is 3/8" thick then the bolt bottoming is not the problem.

I would get some radiator fluorescent dye and see if your manifold has a pinhole or crack.
I’m starting to wonder if the intake is the problem, good idea on the dye.

If you got the Flashpower housing, it has the correct length allen bolts. You say that you have cleaned out the bolt holes.
For antifreeze to leak out when just refilling, it would have such a massive crack that it would be visible. Just took the housing off my Hemi water pump housing. This is pretty simple, even for me. Thermostat, o-ring, housing fits into the o-ring perfectly, housing has a recess for thermostat, install the clamp housing and torque to 15-20 inch lbs. This housing is very simple. Believe you have something else going on. Take a closer look at everything.

20240823_142536.jpg

20240823_142548.jpg

20240823_142600.jpg

20240823_142618.jpg

20240823_142633.jpg

Ok I can confirm that it was user error haha. I took everything apart and the thermostat was crooked inside the housing, so assuming the housing couldn’t seat correctly. Used a shoe string to hold the thermostat in place and tight while installing the housing and now all is well (knock on wood.) Got it heated up to operating temps and all looked good.

-
Back