they closed my last thread..

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
i just got a quick question. i got factory heads on my 77 360. 480 cam 292 duration, stock dished pistons, heads have been ported with new valves and alittle heavier springs. (i dont remember exact specs on heads for i built it along time ago in highschool at the speed shop). my question, since alum heads are just too far out of my price range right now, i got a set of good magnum heads for nothing. they came off a 99 360 magnum out of a 2500 pu. i can do all the machine/ assembly work myself. would there be any power gain in putting the magnums on my 360? and if so what all do i need to do the swap? i know about the intake and i think ill need different pushrods but im not real sure.

thanks.

The number one biggest thing that would help you would be a cam change. You gotta 8.5 to 1 motor at best with a huge amount of duration. That's killin the **** outta your cylinder pressure. Changin the heads will help, but if you swapped to a smarter cam choice at the same time, you could see possibly 100 more HP. That cam is killin you.

the 292 is advertise duration...the duration at .050 is probably about 230 degrees...

make sure you check for the dreaded cracks between the valves in the combustion chamber. magnums were bad about cracking there. the magnums flow real good but are kinda limited as to haw much lift. Seems like about .480 is close to max. check for clearance.

I have heard from others who did this swap that even though the mopar/amc lifter are listed under the same part number, to insure success you should get the amc lifters because there IS a difference. I have also heard that there have been some problems with correct pushrod length especially if any material has been removed from the block or head and that you should assemble your package and carefully measure for length. Several guys have found incorrect preload on the lifters which resulted in noisy or clattering lifters.

Magnum valves and valve springs and retainers are different than LA and are also more expensive. Unless you use Hughes retainers, you will need to cut the valve guide bosses if you plan on running a cam with more than .525 lift as there wont be enough clearance. I have also been told that magnum stock valve springs are only good for about 5300 rpm. I would also check overall chamber volume with the swap to insure that you aren't actually lowering your compression ratio with the swap.

On a positive note, you will gain approx. seven percent lift by using the using the magnum heads as they have 1.6 rockers as compared to 1.5 LA. So that would effectively bring your 480 lift to about .512 which is really close to the limit without machining. If your block or heads have been cut much this could be a problem unless as I previously mentioned you cut the guides/get retainers. I have a .512 lift in my 360 mag which only has about 30 thousandths clearance. Between the lifters, springs, pushrods, pushrod measuring tool, gaskets,magnum head bolts, magnum intake(unless you redrill yours) etc etc.. you could wind up shelling out some major cash.

I don't know the flow figures on a 77 smogger 360 head that have been ported but have heard from others that the magnum heads respond very favorably to porting by using the MP templates. If you are prepared to do all your machine work as you say and also port the heads in combo with the increased lift this could be a good deal for you. But I would also look at how you could get a bigger bang for the same money and less hassle for example stiffer gears.

thanks! i will definately check the heads out before i do anything to them. im not %100 sure im going to use these heads. im just looking for some thing i can do to it to make it more power efficient. i agree with the cam statement. it is preftty radical. the car runs like a bat out of hell, but its lacking in the low end. partly due to the crappy intake i have on it now and i havent put my stall back in it. i have a 2400 stall for it. it was all around pretty good when i had it in.

so if i could possibly make more power with a slightly smaller cam, what cam do you recomend? lift and duration?

thank you guys, im learning alot right now.

also, someday in the future when i have money id like to build a stroker out of this motor. would the cam i have now be good for that?

-
Back