Things that happen just before you leave for a run

-

swifter

Reaction score
I thought it would be enlighting to list the stupid stuff that happens to us racers just out of the blue when were all pumped up ready to go racing; ::; I'll start:

Just filled the cooler with ice and walked out to hook up the trailer and go meet my son at the track and went in to check the tie downs and the whole floor was wet, so i opened the hood and there's a fricken hole in the MIDDLE of the radiator! !!!! We just ran it up and down the driveway last night heated it up good to check everything and all was good to go, even went out this morning and was underneath the car NOTHING I MEAN WTF ???????? rad. Not even 3 weeks old !!!!!! It is a NORTHERN BRAND from jegs.UGH so whats happened to you?????????? --- steve

Took the 64' Valiant out one time and invited my nephew and his Ol' lady, well them two were arguing about some **** all the way to the track and driving me nuts. Was so sick of listening to their crap that when I got to the track I jumped outta the truck got the car off the trailer warmed the motor and took my usual ride down to the end of pit row to do some test launches. Problem was bout half way down I see my fiberglass HOOD take off and its doing backflips out the rear window and BAM sure enough landed right on a corner. Yes, forgot to replace the clips after removing the carb cover and had NEVER done that before. Hood still carries that battle scar now with some red ducttape and them two chuckleheads now provide their own transportation. HaHaHa!!!

I'll bet that Tony will have a few stories! !!! With 3 cars to get ready---steve

This wasn't at the track, but it happened this last Sunday when I went for a drive in my Barracuda. I pulled out of the garage, drove to the edge of the neighborhood and was about to get onto the street...looked left nothing, looked right nothing. Off in the distance one of my neighbors was on his lawn mower about 75 yards away waving his arm frantically and pointing at the front of the car. I had no idea what he was trying to say...I almost just went anyway, but there was no one behind me at the stop sign, so I threw it in park, got out and looked under the car....nothing...I shrugged, and almost got back in the car and my neighbor jumped off his riding lawn mower and started running at me screaming STOP!!! I walked around the front of the car to see why he was so wound up and almost tripped over my headlight bezel that had fallen off RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE PASSENGER SIDE TIRE! Thank the good Lord my neighbor was out mowing, because I was about 2 seconds away from crushing that thing.

swifter - my first thought was that sucks. Second one was better there than after you tow it to the track and get some speed up on a pass...lol

Racing a guy that I gave 3 cars to with my friend 72 BB Chevelle. The car had a mechanical and an electric fuel pump. The electric would regularly power past the regulator flooding the carb so cruising it was never on. He reminds me about 8-10 times to turn the pump on right before I stage and I forgot.

Guy starting the race says he's going to flag and cross my lane to get out of the way. I tell him that's really stupid and not to do it. He wants to do it regardless. I tell him I hope he's fast, cause I'm not waiting on him.

Guy hits the light, I leave HARD. The guy tries to cross my lane and I clip his trailing foot. Knocks him around like a spinning top, broken foot. Get out about 800ft and the car lays over. I scramble to turn the pump on, too late. Car blubbers and right at the stripe the other guy gets by. Lose!!!

I get back and my friend is pissed and asks if I saw the car pull out in front of us. I said no. Apparently a car, no lights on, pulled out from somewhere and had the fuel pump been turned on, I likely plow him at 115+. Best money I ever lost.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was road racing motorcycles. We got rushed to get the bike ready for practice and it was a scramble. I absolutely HATE to feel rushed or pressured prior to practice or a race. Wrong frame of mind. I rush to get my gear on and jump on the GSXR750 with 1350cc engine. It was a monster of a bike. I'm getting waved out of our pit box and headed to the track. Get on to pit road, two guys jump the wall to stop me waving frantically. I forgot to secure the strap on my helmet.... DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I go out and on the third lap I bury the thing into a corner at 150+ and find myself going head over heels. Rear tire exploded. I'm glad those guys stopped me before I entered the track. My helmet was beat to crap. Hate to think what might have happened had the strap still been unsecured on my helmet.

I'll bet that Tony will have a few stories! !!! With 3 cars to get ready---steve

It is a circus....

Last race...we get the cars load on trailers...my grandson tells his mom he wants to ride with me...No one tells me....we all leave for the track.....Get out of truck to go pay ....Daughter ask me where Sean is....I thought he was with you...

good thing it is only 5 mile from track...he went back in house and sat down...

A little home alone Tony -LOL -Thats a good one.

Went to load the car. Started up the ramp and BAM, the trailer did a wheelie and hit the back of the Durango. Forgot to latch the trailer ball. Did that with my 66 D200 also. Had the car on the trailer, lowered the hitch on the ball. Drove 120 miles home and found that I had not latched the trailer to the hitch ball. Felt grateful that hadn't drove fast or had any emergency stops. Kinda glad I don't have a trailer anymore. Who know what I would have forget now at 72?

Put the car on the trailer Thursday night. Get home from work Friday and the trailer has two flats. I always keep a change of cloths in the trunk of my car for racing in the summer. I left the house in ball shorts and flip flops and a t shirt.
Got to the track and popped the trunk only to find zero cloths. No racing for me that day.

Oh good storys -i just did a dumb **** move again, friday we headed up to the kaukana track and we have a power tongue lift so i have two different 7 wire plugs so i hook the trailer up zach got home from work we hopped in and left drove a hour and a half and get to the track and i never took the tongue jack out and plug the wire plug in !!!!!!!!. I wondered why when i was changing lanes of the freeway people were honking at me-so that wont happen again !!!!! What a idiot i am -steve

one time on a weds got to the track went to unload open the hood and no alt, belt must of came of the sat. before , good thing only 15 miles from that track lol
then one sat we would jack up the drivers side the car a little to open the door and sis got in and shut the door and i turned on the power and instant smoke , pinched a 12 volt wire between the frame and jack a sorted it out lol

-
Back