Things that worked great, but you just don't see anymore!

-
thumbnail.aspx

Adam, those books may be the most important books ever printed if there is ever a disaster that puts us back to the stone ages.

Jack

Still use today , but you don't see many people use them

Hwy, dwire -
I'm still an "old-school" griller and use nothing but charcoal - no gas grill for me. I think the taste of grilled food is so much better over charcoal.
But I have gotten away from Kingsford. Now I use nothing but hardwood charcoal, mostly mesquite. It gets hotter sooner, doesn't have any chemical taste, and gives a great smoke flavor. Oh yeah, I don't use chemical starter fluid either - just a chimney and two full sheets of newspaper.

The two automotive items from this list that I miss the most are the 'wind wings' (front window vents), and the headlight foot dimmer switch.
I also think the A-body underdash fresh air vents were the best ever. Simple yet very efficient.

How come you didn't include the Gold Bond Stamps, the 3 Star Stamps and the Blue Chip Stamps with your S&H Green Stamps?

Nowadays you don't need to get your tongue all gummed up to get your "loyalty rewards" on your credit cards......of course it was always kind of fun going into the redemption centers....

................... matchbook................. with various fold marks where it was inserted in the proper spot......................... with the 8-track so it could be played..........................

EXACTLY Some of this stuff really didn't "work that great."

Were often vandalized or otherwise out of order:

attachment.php

"Worked great?" Sometimes

attachment.php

Now these DID work "great" in their time. I used to maintain GCA RADAR and TACAN, and even in the early 70's, our equipment was still "all tube, all the time." They DID work. About a 15hp A/C unit to cool it all

attachment.php

AN/CPN-4 GCA, clear FULL of tubes

1+Adak,+CPN-4+blog.jpg

How come you didn't include the Gold Bond Stamps, the 3 Star Stamps and the Blue Chip Stamps with your S&H Green Stamps?

S&H green stamps were a rip off. You were ACTUALLY paying for them, so if you DIDN'T use 'em, you lost even more money. If you DID use them, you really didn't break even. 'S one reason why we don't have em anymore --they were outlawed

Dimmer switches. STILL work great. I wish cars still had 'em on the floor. I MUCH prefer a floor mount dimmer to that wiggly thing on the column

Typewriters. Yup. Sometimes I still use my little portable when I don't feel like arguing with a computer and printer

Hell I still have AND USE a couple of these. They are hard to get. They're all made in Chineseo now, and I HATE the ones that saw the end off the can sideways

attachment.php

I HAVE one I just bought last year. I made a tire tool, still looking for a good used tire tool at reasonable price.

attachment.php

I bought one of these, along with:

scaled.php

How bout the presto hot dogger.

Sorry, nice try. One of the singularly most dangerous devices known to man. These things cooked hot dogs by means of "electrodes" stuck into the weinie. Some early models were an ELECTROCUTION hazard, but the electrodes on all these, Presto, Ronco, whatever, were ALL made of dangerous "alloys" of "pot metal." So think for a moment.............You are ELECTROPLATING the inside of your weinie with whatever - in - hell that electrode is made of.

0.jpg

the A-body underdash fresh air vents were the best ever. Simple yet very efficient.

ABsoLUTEly. Weren't just on A-bodies, either. Both my RR's had 'em.

Adam, those books may be the most important books ever printed if there is ever a disaster that puts us back to the stone ages. Jack

I agree COMPLETELY

thumbnail.aspx

Don't need MeMikes tire machine when these are around.....

Attachments

• tire irons.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 250
Don't need MeMikes tire machine when these are around.....

My buddies taught me how to use the weight of a car to break the bead and then use a pry bar and a deadblow to remove the tire from the rim. We only needed the pry bar and the deadblow to put a new tire on. We then took the wheels to be balanced.

You want something that works great? Here you go

View attachment usshelby.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know what this is or where you got them, I'll post it up later today. For those of you who do, post up your stories about this little gem. I use to keep one on each of my keychains.

I have one of those tire changers, still use it too!

You want something that works great? Here you go

View attachment 324825

For anyone who doesn't know what this is or where you got them, I'll post it up later today. For those of you who do, post up your stories about this little gem. I use to keep one on each of my keychains.

P38, every key chain should have one.

Those manual tire changer's can still be bought for about $65 from Princess auto. They work O.K,but a bad operator can bend a rim in a hurry with one.

-
Back