Thinking about buying a powder coater

-

BTYM

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up a powder coating kit from eastwood next month. They seem pretty cheap, and I was thinking for my cheaper parts that I could use an old toaster oven someone bought me as a wedding gift that's still in the box in the basement. Anyone have one of these guns? I've had parts coated before, but never done it myself.It seems pretty simple to use, and the kits come with a decent amount of powder, the gun, the part grounder, and some thread protecting high heat plugs.

I've had one for 15 years. Works great. I bought an old oven and use it to do valve covers, intakes, oilpans,
Etc. The parts need to be cleaned just as if you were going to paint it.

Real clean and de-gassed or out gassed.

Contact cudachick1968 AKA Leanna here on the board. She'll give ya an ear full.

A friend of mine has a powder coating system and his oven is big enough to put a full S10 frame in and be able to walk around it. It is 8x8x20 if I remember correctly. His company uses it to powder coat the line of roofing related tools he imports. He doesn't allow anything but his stuff because he doesn't have time for all the interruptions slowing his employees down. He said he will get me a deal on what ever I need to set up a system at his cost so I have thought about setting up a system for my own use.

Horror Freight has them for less $. I've used the one I bought from Eastwood for over ten years with great success. I bought a $10 used oven at a yard sale and simply plug it into my drier's outlet when I use it. The kit says to have good ventilation when baking, but I've never smelled or seen fumes. But I still use a fan over the right rear burner ( my oven vents thru that spot) and I tie it into the drier's vent hose to get it outside.

I get mirror finishes on the parts which is what I love. I always spray more than a minimum amount of powder onto the parts so the coating is thick. This is a great long lasting process.

Eastwood powders are much better than the HF powders. I've used both and the HF powders fade in the sun much faster. I would think the HF gun would be OK though. I haven't used one but they get good reviews.

The more I think about it, the more I want one. I could powder coat all sorts of stuff it never sh ought about coating lol. I've got to rebuild the front end in my dart, ill powder coat everything lol.

I purchased one one about 3 years ago. Coated everything I wanted to, and then it sat in my garage for nearly 2 years, without being touched again.
I sold it about 5 months ago. Don't miss it one bit.

...besides, if I ever need anything coated again, Leanna is a powder coating artist.

I have an Eastwood kit I bought about three years ago to do parts for my 68 RR restore. Worked really well. Like most, I got an old electric range from someone. However ' I drilled the chassis of the oven in the rear corners, and put a 1/2 rod thru it with wheels from my hardware store. Also screwed a plywood work area to the topside after I removed all the burners. Put a fifteen ft cord on it , so I can use it outside the work bay, or inside if its raining. I did almost all the suspension parts for the RR , including Spindles, control arms, rotors, calipers, brake drums. Gearing up now to do suspension parts on the 68 GTS. Also gonna try some 1200deg hi heat powder on the Ex manifolds.

Oh Great !!!

Here I am just cruising along, All Quiet On The Western Front, all my ducks in a row, had never thought of owning a powder coater and the bulb just turned on and I'm scratching the ol' noggin going hmmmm???

Home Powder Coating System--CHEAP
Look on Ol'Ladies face when I drag home yet another project---PRICELESS !!!

ROFLMAO !!!

Oh Great !!!

Here I am just cruising along, All Quiet On The Western Front, all my ducks in a row, had never thought of owning a powder coater and the bulb just turned on and I'm scratching the ol' noggin going hmmmm???

Home Powder Coating System--CHEAP
Look on Ol'Ladies face when I drag home yet another project---PRICELESS !!!

ROFLMAO !!!

That's exactly how I feel. I stumbled across an ad for the Eastwood set up, and all I could think was "man, I have that toaster oven in a box I never use, it's just begging me to powder coat some stuff." Lol, now I'm committed. I'll have one next month

I've had one I bought at Summit for a couple yrs and it works great. Only problem is I need a bigger oven cause all I have is a small toaster oven and you can't get anything big in it. Keeping my eye out for a small (24") electric apartment sized oven. I could build one but if you run across one of the apt size ovens they usually sell cheaper than you can build one for

Eastwood powders are much better than the HF powders. I've used both and the HF powders fade in the sun much faster. I would think the HF gun would be OK though. I haven't used one but they get good reviews.

This right here is the main reason why message board forums serve no purpose other than the quick and easy ability to pass on what is nothing other than bad information. What's truly hilarious in this instance is that both get their powders from essentially the same manufacturer -- Eastwood just puts their own label on it and marks it up about 40%. :-D Both are still the same [mainly recycled] trash you want to avoid like the plague if you want your parts to look great and last for years.

"Sun fade," or a lack of UV stability, is caused by the metal particles inside the powder reacting with sunlight over time and oxidizing (just like it does on any other metal). It has nothing to do with the powder or the application itself and is in fact the reason that all silver, gold, and even some red powders need a clear coat.

As I've mentioned in my PM to you BTYM, I could sit here typing for weeks trying to teach the world but it wouldn't be enough. Only hands-on experience is going to teach you what you need to know and the brains you pick should be qualified to get you off on the right foot.

Just call me, okay??? :-D

-
Back