Thinking of selling my Duster

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Well I went for a nice cruise in my car today. The weather was really nice and the car ran good for the most part. On the way home I noticed that when the car shifts from low 2 to drive there seems to be some slight slippage or weak shifting in the transmission. I just bought this transmission last year and had it completely checked over and was assured it was fine. At this point I am wondering if it would just be better to sell my car and either look for another car or get out of the classic car gig alltogether. I am really frustrated. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on this vehicle and I just do not know if I want to keep spending. I know I'll never get back what I have put into my car but was just wondering if it's a good time to sell. I have had this car for 11 years.

Geez dude, it's just a Torqeflite. Get you an ATSG service manual and build da beeotch yourself. Man, they are super easy.

keep the car and quit asking dumb questions get the trany fix u will regret selling it

Are you skiddish of the auto? You're just in NC. You pull it and I'll build it.

Are you skiddish of the auto? You're just in NC. You pull it and I'll build it.

I would be interested in maybe paying you to build it, depending on price. Are you in N.C.? I have no experience in rebuilding transmissions. I can pull it without any issues.

No. I'm in Georgia. About 25 miles NE of Macon. You know, I'd really rather teach you to fish.....you'd learn sumthin. I'll put it like this. If you can change spark plugs, you can build a torqueflite. What is it a 904?

And if Georgia's too far, PM me your exact area. I have a friend in Macon who has had his own transmission shop for over 60 years. He's 81 and still works 10 hours a day doing bench jobs. He may know of a reputable shop in your area. I would trust anybody Tom says is good.

Just a thought.........If the kickdown linkage isn't set up correctly, they will shift like it can't make up it's mind and seem like it's slipping. Just my .02 worth. Don't sell it, fix it!

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am going to get it fixed. I was just venting frustration over having to yet put more $$$ into this car. As stated before, I'll NEVER get back what I have spent in restoring this vehicle so I will keep it until I pass it on to my daughter someday. Thanks again for all the advice and help.

I've been away from my cars for almost 3 years now and have at times considered selling mine as well, BUT then I look back at the time I've put into these pieces of my my own history and think to myself, "What are you NUTS?? There is no way you'd let that car go..." For me, it's not about the money I put into them... it's about the relaxation of something I enjoy tinkering with... It's about looking at the finished project and knowing that I built it to my liking and a lot of the work was done by my own hands... some of them, it's even sentimental - one of my 71 chargers was the first car my dad bought BRAND NEW off the showroom floor, my satellite was the car I was brought home from the hospital in, the others are not nearly as sentimental but I have put my time, money, blood, sweat and tears into each and every one of these cars at one time or another. I would venture to say that after owning a car for 11 years... you have too. Just a few pieces of food for thought...

I've been away from my cars for almost 3 years now and have at times considered selling mine as well, BUT then I look back at the time I've put into these pieces of my my own history and think to myself, "What are you NUTS?? There is no way you'd let that car go..." For me, it's not about the money I put into them... it's about the relaxation of something I enjoy tinkering with... It's about looking at the finished project and knowing that I built it to my liking and a lot of the work was done by my own hands... some of them, it's even sentimental - one of my 71 chargers was the first car my dad bought BRAND NEW off the showroom floor, my satellite was the car I was brought home from the hospital in, the others are not nearly as sentimental but I have put my time, money, blood, sweat and tears into each and every one of these cars at one time or another. I would venture to say that after owning a car for 11 years... you have too. Just a few pieces of food for thought...

You are right, My wife bought me this car and I have done about 85% of the work myself. I was just venting. It seems as though every time I think I got this car dialed in just right, it throws me some kind of curve ball and I have to do something else.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am going to get it fixed. I was just venting frustration over having to yet put more $$$ into this car. As stated before, I'll NEVER get back what I have spent in restoring this vehicle so I will keep it until I pass it on to my daughter someday. Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Glad to hear that, man, that's a nice looking Duster, I was getting the trailer hooked up and ready to come take it off your hand's, LOL. Good luck!!

Yea, besides, what would we call you then??? Hyandimaniac?? F150maniac?? Pintomaniac?? None of those seem to fit...looks like you gotta keep it now!!!LOL!! I'll tell ya Duster, my GTX trans will sometimes overrev between 2nd and drive when I'm making a left, and I had it checked by my trans guy and he just shrugged it off. I'm with the guys, keep it, adjust the band and see if that helps, and if it doesn't, drop by Strokers place and have him bring it in for ya!! This place would sure be lonely without you!!! Geof

Thanks ALL!!!! Especially Stroker , You guys have convinced me that I WOULD regret selling my car and I AM going to keep her around for a lot more years!!!!! And yes I could not give up the Dustermaniac name. I know it would be scooped up by someone else pretty quickly!!!!

We'll get you walked through the band adjustment tomorrow and if that doesn't do it, we'll get that bridge crossed, too.

Thanks ALL!!!! Especially Stroker , You guys have convinced me that I WOULD regret selling my car and I AM going to keep her around for a lot more years!!!!! And yes I could not give up the Dustermaniac name. I know it would be scooped up by someone else pretty quickly!!!!

This is the post I wanted to see!

Had me worried for a minute.

This is what this forum is all about. We are all brothers and sisters
willing to help each other out. It doesn't get any better than that.

Well if I was close enough I would go over and fix it regardless of what it is. Deadgummit all. Why is it when a buddy has trouble it's always a good ways off?

-
Back