This is bad.

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I just thrashed on my car putting the third member in it. I had the gears and sure grip installed by a reputable shop. I bought new Mopar green bearings. Everything seemed to go fine except that once I installed both axles I could barely force the rear end to turn by hand. I just attributed this to the rear being a fresh build. I get everything buttoned up and back on the ground. Put her in reverse and back her out. Cool. Put the car in first and she won't hardly move even with a lot of throttle. I have an 8 3/4 3:91 suregrip clutch type third member. Is the sure grip shot and slipping? Is something binding causing the rear to not want to rotate forward. The symptoms act like a burned clutch, but that's not it. Thanks as always guys!

jack it back up and take it apart and give the 3rd member back to the builder if it doesn't rotate after you pull one or both axles out.
I noticed it didn't get tight until both axles were in. With just one axle it seemed fine.

The sure grip can be wore SLAP out and this will not effect the car moving. It sounds to me like something is affecting the axle bearings making them too tight. Did you try to rotate the third member from the drive shaft yoke before you installed the axles? If it turned freely, then the problem is probably not the third member.

The sure grip can be wore SLAP out and this will not effect the car moving. It sounds to me like something is affecting the axle bearings making them too tight. Did you try to rotate the third member from the drive shaft yoke before you installed the axles? If it turned freely, then the problem is probably not the third member.
Yea, the third member turned smooth as silk before axle install. Is it possible the green bearings are installed incorrectly causing pressure resulting in binding?

Anything's possible. Sounds to me like the third member is ok though.

You know.....I think they are.

Is the housing back braced? I ask cause if the tubes have been bent from hard use that can make the wheels hard to turn. Maybe those end flanges have the same effect.

Is the housing back braced? I ask cause if the tubes have been bent from hard use that can make the wheels hard to turn. Maybe those end flanges have the same effect.
No sir. Same housing and axles I was driving the car with the night before. I took everything apart to put the 3:91 sure grip third member in along with the new green bearings I had installed on the axles. I was saying earlier that when I tightened the axles down I noticed I could hardly rotate the axles. As if they were pressed tight against something. Which got me to thinking about the seals.

Check for thrust buttons. Axle seals can stay installed with the green bearings, in fact I always replace the seals when using green bearings. Check the bearings for rotation and binding.

Check for thrust buttons. Axle seals can stay installed with the green bearings, in fact I always replace the seals when using green bearings. Check the bearings for rotation and binding.
If the thrust buttons were still in then I wouldn't be able to see clean through the third member would I? Something is causing the axles to be too tight.

^ x2 i have seen this first hand. I got a used housing from a member on here. (Clintag) that upon re assembling the rear figured out the dr side tube was tweeked about 1/8 inch out! Had to have flanges cut off & new ones welded back on with alingement bushings & bar through an empty center to square it up. Is this a (new to you) rearend at all?

^ x2 i have seen this first hand. I got a used housing from a member on here. (Clintag) that upon re assembling the rear figured out the dr side tube was tweeked about 1/8 inch out! Had to have flanges cut off & new ones welded back on with alingement bushings & bar through an empty center to square it up. Is this a (new to you) Inrearend at all?[/
The third member is. The housing is the same one that has always been in the car. As I stated earlier I was driving the car the night before. The rebuilt third member I just installed yesterday rotated fine until I installed the axles. Once the axles were tightened down I couldn't rotate the third member by hand. Something is causing pressure that is preventing the axles from rotating.

If you can turn the drive shaft easy with one or the other axle in it then your axles are butting against something! Bolt them both in and leave the nuts on the axle flanges a little bit loose and see if the drive shaft turns easy? If so the axles are butting against the thrust button or something.

If you can turn the drive shaft easy with one or the other axle in it then your axles are butting against something! Bolt them both in and leave the nuts on the axle flanges a little bit loose and see if the drive shaft turns easy? If so the axles are butting against the thrust button or something.
Is the thrust button(s) visible when axles are out? I thought that's what would be between the axles and is easily seen when axles are out.

Im thinking its something to do with the green bearings... the OP has said several times now that he can see from one side to the other, so there are no thrust buttons in the center section...

Well with the trust buttons removed, it ain't no gaping hole, it's only maybe 3/8" on a clutch SG.

Well with the trust buttons removed, it ain't no gaping hole, it's only maybe 3/8" on a clutch SG.

Oh I know... lol.. but with the thrust buttons installed you wouldnt see any daylight from one side to the other... Thats all I was saying

did you change axles or just replace bearings:eek:ops:
I put new green bearings on my old axles. The third member spins really smooth until axles go in and tightened down. It's so tight my McLeod clutch just slips and car won't hardly move. Turning the axles by hand with wheels on and car jacked up requires considerable effort. Is it possible the shop installed the green bearings too far up on the axle causing the axles to actually touch inside the third member? At this point I am not ruling anything out. It is a 741 case with a clutch type sure grip and 3:91 gears.

-
Back