This will step on your HEI moment.

-
No surprises here. Cool article. Thanks.

Very hard to do a true comparison between a points dist & HEI because of the different weights/centre plate configurations of the two different types of dists. This is going to affect the rpm range where the timing is advancing because of the centri curve in each dist.
Other considerations. With mag trigger dists, the flux wave generated by the trigger distorts & effectively retards the timing at higher rpms a few degrees. HEI should have been advanced slightly to counter this.
Plug gap. I assume that all testing was done with the same plug gap to reduce variables. Did not see plug gap mentioned, but probably 035 or less because of the points & high rpm used. A test by A.G. Bell in his book showed a 6 hp increase @ 3500rpm by going from a 035 gap to 045, no other changes. Given that HEI can easily handle a 045 plug gap, I think it was an apples-to-oranges test.
Testing done by D. Vizard in his A-series engine book showed electronic ign made more power every time. These are small engines, power went from 57 hp to 60 switching from points to electronic, with gains through out the rpm range. Another test showed similar gains.

Thanks for sharing. After switching from points to a 4 pin hei ignition (using a Chrysler EI distributor) the start is night and day. Plus as mentioned the maintance is “one and done.” I agree with the fact timing should had be advanced up to 3 degrees in the article but you need to keep all those variables limited as let’s face it... it’s a magazine for Chevy guys. Lol!

Very hard to do a true comparison between a points dist & HEI because of the different weights/centre plate configurations of the two different types of dists. This is going to affect the rpm range where the timing is advancing because of the centri curve in each dist.
Other considerations. With mag trigger dists, the flux wave generated by the trigger distorts & effectively retards the timing at higher rpms a few degrees. HEI should have been advanced slightly to counter this.
Plug gap. I assume that all testing was done with the same plug gap to reduce variables. Did not see plug gap mentioned, but probably 035 or less because of the points & high rpm used. A test by A.G. Bell in his book showed a 6 hp increase @ 3500rpm by going from a 035 gap to 045, no other changes. Given that HEI can easily handle a 045 plug gap, I think it was an apples-to-oranges test.
Testing done by D. Vizard in his A-series engine book showed electronic ign made more power every time. These are small engines, power went from 57 hp to 60 switching from points to electronic, with gains through out the rpm range. Another test showed similar gains.

And all things I totally agree with in theory.
I run an 8 pin HEI module and the matching E core coil with a .050 plug gap and couldn’t be happier with it.

Thanks for sharing. After switching from points to a 4 pin hei ignition (using a Chrysler EI distributor) the start is night and day. Plus as mentioned the maintance is “one and done.” I agree with the fact timing should had be advanced up to 3 degrees in the article but you need to keep all those variables limited as let’s face it... it’s a magazine for Chevy guys. Lol!

:D yes sir.
I haven’t had to touch my HEI system for over 6 years and 10’s of thousands of miles.
Morning startups are so instant in my car you can barely let go of the key from the start position fast enough.
The points also have the problem with good parts being available these days.

Did you happen to see the Uncle Tony’s Garage video where he had a brand new set that the rubbing block wasn’t long enough to reach the cam?

"In the old days" (440-6 RR and 426/ 440 Dodge) I used to run dual points and you could get the Echlin/ NAPA "gold" points or Accel. some thought the springs were too stiff. sometimes I ran Blue Streak. I also had a period of time running either Delta or Tiger CD but had trouble getting a tach to work. (The MSD of their day without the "M") I actually ran a Jones-Motrola mechanical tach in the RR for a time. I ran mostly used dual point dist's and ran an Accel for awhile. I never cared for Mallory dist they are just too fussy and weird to set up ( 4 lobe)

I got my first Mopar breakerless setup in about? 73? soon after I swapped the 340 into the RR. Some guy at the base had an A and had either had trouble with the Mopar breakerless or didn't like it. I swapped in a rebuilt single point dist and "unwired" all the ellectronic for him. then promptly researched it and promptly installed it into the 340 swapped RR!! That system was in the car when it sold---with a 360 in ---and I've been sorry ever since!!

-
Back