Thoughts on frustrating situation.

-

MoparDave

Reaction score
Bare with me , as I go over this.

My 19yr old son bought a 2016 Chrysler 200 s at the end of May. I co signed and we were "persuaded " into the premium extended warranty.10 days after purchase he calls me at 8pm on the side of the interstate , car told him to stop the vehicle and place in park, then locked itself in park.Long story short had to pay towing to dealer he bought it from,and 2 weeks later it was "fixed" and he picked it up, he paid towing and deductible. Fast forward to last Monday car does it again back at same dealer. They finally call this week it's a different issue with Trans so now their charging him diagnostic and they say it needs new transmission they are waiting to see if warranty will cover it. Then proceeds to tell my son he's not sure he can even get the transmission because they are backordered through Chrysler. But can get used ones. Any advice? Any legal responsibility to dealer?

Ouch. 2016 is old enough that the transmission may never be available new through Chrysler again, it may be discontinued.

I would pull the paperwork from that extended warranty you purchased and read all the fine print. I would also get together all the repair paperwork and look at the warranty offered on each repair. Then look up the consumer protections offered in your state for used car purchases. Those protections vary a lot state to state.

With it having been repaired only 10 days after purchase I would think you would have some kind of legal protections related to the sale and the warranty, but you’ll need to have the whole paper trail and be well versed with the fine print.

Was it purchased from a manufacturer dealership? Or a private used car lot? As long as the dealership is willing to work with you I would try that, and just educate yourself on your warranty and legal options. If they stop playing ball you may need to go the lawyer route at some point.

Ouch. 2016 is old enough that the transmission may never be available new through Chrysler again, it may be discontinued.

I would pull the paperwork from that extended warranty you purchased and read all the fine print. I would also get together all the repair paperwork and look at the warranty offered on each repair. Then look up the consumer protections offered in your state for used car purchases. Those protections vary a lot state to state.

With it having been repaired only 10 days after purchase I would think you would have some kind of legal protections related to the sale and the warranty, but you’ll need to have the whole paper trail and be well versed with the fine print.

Was it purchased from a manufacturer dealership? Or a private used car lot? As long as the dealership is willing to work with you I would try that, and just educate yourself on your warranty and legal options. If they stop playing ball you may need to go the lawyer route at some point.

Was a smaller local lot. Also a repair shop. Just remember the guy pushing and pushing for the extended. And now he's getting paid to fix the pos he bought at auction and sold us. The check engine light came on within prob 50 miles. Of course no way to document now. Can a dodge dealer plug it in and see if codes have been cleared and what for? I think there are laws for selling used "merchandise" you know is faulty.

Was a smaller local lot. Also a repair shop. Just remember the guy pushing and pushing for the extended. And now he's getting paid to fix the pos he bought at auction and sold us. The check engine light came on within prob 50 miles. Of course no way to document now. Can a dodge dealer plug it in and see if codes have been cleared and what for? I think there are laws for selling used "merchandise" you know is faulty.

Some of that will get tricky. You’d have a regular old fraud case if you could prove the seller knew the car was faulty, but that’s hard to prove. Likely the seller would just say they bought it as auction, it passed their inspection and they “didn’t know” it had any issues. And then you’d need to have the evidence to show they knew it was hooped when they sold it.

I would take a hard look at that warranty you bought, because I would imagine it would cover something as big as the transmission. Your other avenue to pursue is how quickly it needed repairs, since there might be consumer protections in your state for a used car that bit the dust that fast.

I’m not expert on the ECU’s and how they log stuff. If the check engine warnings weren’t cleared or the battery unhooked for a long period of time you may be able to get some history on that from a dealer. And sometimes they can tell you if things have been cleared, again, it depends on the system and how it was done. They might also be able to get you another opinion/quote, in case the lot is giving you the run around on repairs.

Yes definitely knowing your local laws would be very good to start with. If it's been that short of time I'd probably tell them I want my money back for a different car..
I've told small car lots to take the car back that couldn't keep it running. I told them I couldn't pay for it because it can't get me to work...

Look into your state "lemon laws", immediately, it really sounds like you got screwed, badly on that POS. You may have grounds to get a refund, but I wouldn't wait to find out. Good luck and keep us posted.

My 19yr old son bought a 2016 Chrysler 200 s at the end of May. I co signed and we were "persuaded " into the premium extended warranty.10 days after purchase he calls me at 8pm on the side of the interstate , car told him to stop the vehicle and place in park, then locked itself in park.Long story short had to pay towing to dealer he bought it from,and 2 weeks later it was "fixed" and he picked it up, he paid towing and deductible. Fast forward to last Monday car does it again back at same dealer. They finally call this week it's a different issue with Trans so now their charging him diagnostic and they say it needs new transmission they are waiting to see if warranty will cover it. Then proceeds to tell my son he's not sure he can even get the transmission because they are backordered through Chrysler. But can get used ones. Any advice? Any legal responsibility to dealer?
Hmmmm so would now be an appropriate time for me to revisit my stance on Toyota's make the best overall vehicle for reliability and ALL OF THE BIG 3 continually shove it up your *** without any lube?

Hmmmm so would now be an appropriate time for me to revisit my stance on Toyota's make the best overall vehicle for reliability and ALL OF THE BIG 3 continually shove it up your *** without any lube?

Gosh, that's completely useless for the OP isn't it?

On the other hand, here's a publication from the Missouri attorney general's office on auto purchase and repair laws. I just looked at it quickly, but it appears Missouri has no "lemon law" that applies to used cars.

https://ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/publications/allaboutautos.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Now would absolutely not be the appropriate time to clime on your Toyota soap box. No one asked.

If your son is satisfied with the car beyond the trans issue, then I say he should consider accepting a remanufactured trans on the condition that the trans replacement is under warranty, and has a warranty itself.

Now would absolutely not be the appropriate time to clime on your Toyota soap box. No one asked.
Sounds like he could use some intelligent advice on what kind of a used vehicle to buy since he already got suckered into a piece of Domestic **** and is already, within days of owning it, getting his wallet flushed from their cheap *** **** technology.

On the other hand, here's a publication from the Missouri attorney general's office on auto purchase and repair laws. I just looked at it quickly, but it appears Missouri has no "lemon law" that applies to used cars.

So what would be helpful advice be???? Pay the dealers bill, 3 weeks later pay another bill, try and see what DTC's were stored in the ECM.....who gives a **** and what would he do with that info as far as getting his car repaired for free???? NOTHING

Well someone who is a modern automotive expert that is not biased and brainwashed like a drooling ******* retard needs to chime in and give some tough love.....I'm guessing it won't be you.....LOL

If your son is satisfied with the car beyond the trans issue, then I say he should consider accepting a remanufactured trans on the condition that the trans replacement is under warranty, and has a warranty itself.
Make sure your son has a lot of money to throw at Domestic trash as they will **** your wallets into remission

I usually use the political forum to beef up my ignore list but sometimes people make it right here...

Last edited:

Are you going to just ignore the obvious here? A 2016 vehicle, and supposedly a higher up platform for Chrysler already needs a transmission possibly??? I would run for the hills and say **** you to all the Domestic trash and keep your hard earned money in your wallet.

So what would be helpful advice be???? Pay the dealers bill, 3 weeks later pay another bill, try and see what DTC's were stored in the ECM.....who gives a **** and what would he do with that info as far as getting his car repaired for free???? NOTHING

Helpful advice would include legal ways to get the dealer he bought the car from to either fix it or take it back and refund his money. What he does from there is a whole different situation. But he has to solve the current issue first, which is that his son has a broken car which may very well be under warranty and is NOT covered by lemon laws.

So unless you have a legally supported way for the OP to get his car exchanged for a Toyota in Missouri, nothing you've said is relevant, helpful, or reasonable.

Helpful advice would include legal ways to get the dealer he bought the car from to either fix it or take it back and refund his money. What he does from there is a whole different situation. But he has to solve the current issue first, which is that his son has a broken car which may very well be under warranty and is NOT covered by lemon laws.

So unless you have a legally supported way for the OP to get his car exchanged for a Toyota in Missouri, nothing you've said is relevant, helpful, or reasonable.
Not shocked that your thick skull can't understand the one simple FACT that if people would get their heads out of their asses and ask intelligent people for advice before buying what a dumbass kid or a even dumber wife wants for a car that they actually buy QUALITY which the big 3 makes nothing they then would not be in these situations.

Kinda makes it even more important to be an intelligent buyer then doesn't it? Yup i'm right again as in most cases, LOL

Most of those extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on, nothing more than a money making scam, I would never buy one, nor would I advise anyone to. I truly hope this gets resolved in your favor, sooner the better.

To be clear, if it was not sold at a Chrysler dealer, I'm shocked that they'd even consider paying for a new Chrysler trans.

That's an aftermarket warranty and you need to call them, explain the situation, see what they'll pay for, and as mentioned, study up on your states' lemon laws.

The fact that you haven't mentioned the warranty company or the warranty contract you should have been given makes me think the used car flophouse just took your money and didn't actually buy a warranty. All repairs would need to be run through the warranty company for approval.

I work at a GM dealer in the parts department and our sales department sells."Ally" warranties on all used cars GM or not. We have great luck with what they cover, the only caveat is they will only pay list price, which is fair.

The customer only owes the deductible,.which is anywhere from $100-$500 depending on the plan they get. What's nice is the warranty is a one time charge not a monthly, like you see on TV. ie Car Shield.

So my advice is to call the aftermarket warranty company and see what they cover and who can do the work. Ours can be taken to any dealer or independente repair shop, nationwide..

Most used car sales are "as is", with no warranty, unless stated in the sales invoice/contract. This can vary from one jurisdiction to another, and the year/mileage of the vehicle. You need to read both the sales contract, and the warranty.

Thanks for all the info, the warranty is real it's through a company called pwi. The dealer isn't offering anything except repair of which I'm sure will be a hefty bill. My thinking is its bs because the cel came on and said service transmission within first 100 miles. I called salesman which is the owner of business and told him and he said bring it in or keep driving and see what happens. But my son said it went off so let it go only to fully break down few days later. We have no lemon laws on used cars, but there is a law protecting consumers against buying faulty merchandise. I thought he might have bought car with light on and cleared it to sell representing the car was fine and had no issues, knowing it did. That's why I wondered if actual dodge dealer could read code history and see if had been cleared before we bought it. Probably a long shot I know.

-
Back