Thread missing? 8-3/4 housing end as welded for shortened housing...

-

DC 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was just gonna weigh in with my experience but I cannot find the thread I think entitled "Is This Acceptable". Either I am stupid (entirely possible) or the thread is gone.

Anyway, I can vouch for the fact that an 8-3/4 housing can be distorted. I bent mine into a banana shape drag racing. Attributed to moving leaf springs inboard thereby increasing moment arm as well as putting drag slicks on the car for track. Tires started smoking down the track as housing ends were bent forward and tires rubbing.

I took the banana shaped housing to some shop in PA who straightened it on a press. I also bought from him 8-3/4 bushings and tube which I could mount into 8-3/4 bearing saddles to act as a gaging assistant. I welded a back brace on the housing and shipped it to Moser to be slightly narrowed. They did pretty good as judged by my "gage". Not perfect (it's a weld job) but good. Axles went in fine and I ran green bearings with no issue. Here's a few pictures:

scan0007A.jpg
scan0009A.jpg

I've seen many 8 3/4 housing bent especially if you are running higher HP and don't have a back brace welded to the housing. The two that I ran before switching to a Dana both had back braces welded to them by a friend who was a pipeline welder.

I don't think this particular vendor does.
If they are a vendor on this site and they are in the vendors section, I think they do. Either way, people should be able to tell their side of the story without bein censored.

The peculiar thing is.... it looked funny, but if it was jigged, and STRAIGHT, it should be no problem.
It just seems a little over-protective to me. The original poster didn't have his center ready, so he didn't know if it was okay or not.

The company that did the work is not on our vendor list. The OP wanted the thread taken down.

Last edited:
My one complaint about this site, other than recent lack of green bearing slap fights, is that posts are deleted without explanation.

Some might say that would keep some people from paying for an annual membership....

That's a shame. The thread should have remained up for the purpose of sharing information which is the whole purpose of this site. Just because the OP wanted it down doesn't justify it. There were other people involved in that thread and it could have been a good reference like other threads on here. I think that was a little heavy handed, but it's not my site.

Are you sure that thread wasn't in B-bodies
I remember the thread here on FABO too.

The end of the housing was basically flush on one side and offset on the other

The housing was standing on end.

You're not crazy!

Last edited:
My one complaint about this site, other than recent lack of green bearing slap fights, is that posts are deleted without explanation.

Some might say that would keep some people from paying for an annual membership....
The explanation was posted #18......

The explanation was posted #18.
I get the OP asking to have the post removed but what does the vender not being on the FABO list have to do with it? I don't even recall the vender being named?(But I might have missed that)

I get the OP asking to have the post removed but what does the vender not being on the FABO list have to do with it? I don't even recall the vender being named?(But I might have missed that)
Can't answer that question since I wasn't following the thread all that close....and generally, we don't remove a vendor's comment unless they start hawking their wares in the regular forums.

-
Back