Time for 727 rebuild.

-
The way you got .060. .040 is max factory, I like .020 to help that direct drum from wobbling too much.

Is the Superior shim kit an option. I don't have any spare parts and I feel like a pest at the local shop, taking up their time and not really spending money.

I would like to add a drain plug. Get a drain plug kit or new pan? If a new pan any recommendations. Stick with Dex3 or is there newer fluids that are better?

E26067AF-7D05-4B89-B8E9-F7C55F42EE8C.jpeg
598DE8E8-7B3E-4299-9971-3AE8C177EB2C.jpeg
1F85209B-47C3-4E31-BCA7-2D052D4FCCC4.jpeg
On valve body found the throttle lever bent and looking stressed. Replace with a better one. Is this from improper adjusted linkage or something else? Could be it got too hot when someone brazed it up?

First is new lever. Second and third show bend and stress cracks.

I ordered a shim kit and a torque converter both should be here Thursday. Precision and Hughes both recommended a stock converter around 2000 stall. I ordered one from my local shop from Precision.

Trans is back together. .032 endplay. Give it a shot of clearance rack graphite paint.
20200429_175119.jpg

My new lawn ornament.

Will try to get in car this weekend. New pan should be here Monday.

Have a question on the throttle pressure adjustment on the valve body. I did not see anything in Transgo instructions. In the factory service manual it uses a tool to set the stop screw. I replaced the throttle lever because original looked stressed. Is there a right way to do this without the special tool?

I found this image from an older kit. It look like the pressure regulator spring adjustment is for TF-1. So for TF-2 leave flush? When I took it apart it was flush, so will probably try it that way.

tf2 adj..jpg

So I put transmission in car last night. Went ok. One thing I learned is do not forget to remove dipstick tube when transmission is removed. I bent mine. It makes it extremely difficult to get back in and lined up. Like 2 hours difficult!

I have new pan and it looks pretty good. Installed with old pan. So before I install it I can make any changes. What is recommended for rear band adjustment? I have it adjusted like video with 3/8" of travel. I tried it with the 72 inch pound and back off 2 turns. That left about 1/4" of travel. Tighter or looser better?

The shift kit was installed by previous owner. Not even sure of which one it is. I left it as I took apart.

Everything is back together. Installed new pan with the fancy reusable gasket from Mopar. Adjusted throttle linkage. I also found I was only getting 3/4 WOT with pedal. Readjusted for full throttle.

When I removed speedo gear I did not look real close. I looked at the FSM and counted the teeth so I hope i got it right. I put 4 quarts in and no leaks. Need to pick up some shorter bolts for torque converter cover. Why did they use such large bolts for that cover? Are those holes used for supports or something on different vehicles?

Will try it out tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Well it works. Finished up the few small things that needed tightening. Started up in neutral and started added fluid. At about 7 quarts was full. Shifted into drive, rechecked added another quart. Shifted into reverse added another quart. Took for short drive, added about a pint.

Took for a little longer drive. Shifted manually and in Drive. Worked pretty well. 1-2 was pretty crisp. 2-3 was a little harsh but not bad. Way better than before rebuild. So to soften up 2-3, adjust throttle linkage or band?

Before with the Lokar cable I had a soft spring pulling throttle arm forward on transmission. I did not install it after rebuild. Thoughts on using it?

Overall it worked pretty well, seemed solid. I think with some adjusting it should work fine. Felt pretty good to have car moving again.

Have done a few adjustments with throttle linkage. I have a Lokar cable. Works better than before. I have been slowly loosening cable. It shifts from 1-2 pretty good. 2-3 is not as harsh and it will kickdown below 50 with a good amount of throttle.

What are the proper shift points and kickdown with shift kit? When is the adjustment too loose that it will cause damage? I am thinking of adding the spring back to the front of the throttle arm on transmission. Next time I drive it I will watch the speed of the shifts.

-
Back