Timing chain

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out a hard start situation. Want to cover all my bases. Does this install look correct? Give me your opinions good or bad. Thanks for looking.
20190326_181400.jpg
20190407_161631.jpg

Are our old asses supposed to see some timing marks in that picture?

I say no...
the two drilled dots need to be facing each other..
the cam gear dot should be at six o clock, the crank gear dot should be at 12 o clock... you currently have them both at 12 o clock

I say no...
the cam gear dot should be at six o clock, the crank gear dot should be at 12 o clock... you currently have them both at 12 o clock

No, that's actually incorrect. Cam gear at 12 and crank gear at 12 is correct and TDC on number 1. The way you describe times it on number 6. I could see the dot on the cam gear at 12, but I cannot see the dot on the crank gear.

I say no...
Oh snap good eye I never saw the top dot!!
I think you found the problem

No, that's actually incorrect. Cam gear at 12 and crank gear at 12 is correct and TDC on number 1. The way you describe times it on number 6. I could see the dot on the cam gear at 12, but I cannot see the dot on the crank gear.
Do what?? #1 tdc should be crank &12 cam@6? Right?

I understand that the crank will make 1 full revolution before the cam gear putting the cam at 12! But when your starting out and put the dissy on 1 it should be 6 and 12

Do what?? #1 tdc should be crank &12 cam@6? Right?

No. #1 TDC is crank at 12 and cam at 12. You see crank at 12 and cam at 6 in every single manual because it's easier to time that way, but that's timed on number 6, not number 1. 12 and 12 is correct.

I understand that the crank will make 1 full revolution before the cam gear putting the cam at 12! But when your starting out and put the dissy on 1 it should be 6 and 12

No.

So the way it sets now he needs to move his dissy to start on 6 not 1!!

6 and 12, 12 and 12..the crank could care less where its at as to him its the same. Either will get you set up, now you just bump it until you feel compression on #1, then run it to the 0 damper mark. Bingo compression TDC now line up spark plug tower to rotor. If you dont like it, just turn crank 1 time, hey the dot is at 6! If the rotor wont line up, pull pump drive out and turn it so it does, remember it will clock a little on its way down. You may have to turn the crank a little for the drive hex to interface with the oil pump.

No. #1 TDC is crank at 12 and cam at 12. You see crank at 12 and cam at 6 in every single manual because it's easier to time that way, but that's timed on number 6, not number 1. 12 and 12 is correct.
Ohhhhh I see what you are saying now..

Ohhhhh I see what you are saying now..

Yes the procedure most people use is line them up 12 crank and 6 cam then rotate it around so the cam is at 12 and crank is at 12. THAT is number 1 TDC. I just use a steel ruler and line them up right the first time at 12 and 12.

6 and 12, 12 and 12..the crank could care less where its at as to him its the same. Either will get you set up, now you just bump it until you feel compression on #1, then run it to the 0 damper mark. Bingo compression TDC now line up spark plug tower to rotor. If you dont like it, just turn crank 1 time, hey the dot is at 6! If the rotor wont line up, pull pump drive out and turn it so it does, remember it will clock a little on its way down. You may have to turn the crank a little for the drive hex to interface with the oil pump.

Right! But it's gotten more people lost than you can count.

Yes I get it now. Sorry it took me a minute to process the information haha

my crazy mazda has 2 black links ..you line them up on the dots on the cogs.....now that is just dumb...no wait, its brilliant!

Yes the procedure most people use is line them up 12 crank and 6 cam then rotate it around so the cam is at 12 and crank is at 12. THAT is number 1 TDC. I just use a steel ruler and line them up right the first time at 12 and 12.

This is a really good explanation, first time I have heard this reasoning and it makes sense. I have always done the 12 and 12 with the number # 1 being up on compression, you drop in the distributor to fire on # 1 and you are ready to run.

Sorry I crashed guys I can't stay up that late. DID NOT mean to turn this into another 6 o'clock 12 o'clock thread. What I was going after is, does it look like I'm a tooth off anywhere?

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. Again, lets skip the 6 and 12 thing. For those that know, does this look to be a tooth off somewhere?
timing chain.JPG

-
Back