timing light..what are you running

-

gniknayrb18

Reaction score
just curious what a good timing light is i have seen some good and some bad but i don't trust what websites say. i wanna hear what you guys think

I recently bought a Craftsman dial back one for $69. So far I'm happy with it.

Ted

i have a craftsman dial back light that has been good for me. if i bought one now i would want one that is self powered.

Dial back is the way to go for setting total timing for me. I have a Snapon,Mac, and a OTC. Though more dough,The Snapon and Mac if damaged can be sent back for repairs.Something I have to do with the Mac(OOPS!) The Sears Craftsman is a good one too for the money. Yeah I damaged that one too...
Another is Fox Valley,though no longer made,Check ebay, swap meets,that I bought in the 70's has been dropped, stepped on, burnt by headers,Held together by tape and rubber bands is industructable and still working today.

I have a nice craftsman dial back that I have used for years. Then I dropped it right on the dial back knob. That part doesn't work as well. Recently I bought one of those self powered units because they claim they work better with MSD's.

Some dialup lights have "a problem" with MSD, well documented, Google it.

Heard of those problems but never experienced any problems with the craftsman unit. Used it multiple msd6al and a digital 6

I had a Mac dial advance timing light until I moved, then it come up missing. So I pull the Sun out for the old school way. :D

Attachments

• 20131103_153847.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 20131103_153830.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 194
i just picked up an old school snap on from a garage sale and it still works...with advance,,,score!!!

I have a snap-on dial back, I'v had sense the eighties..never had a problem with it.

Dial back is the way to go for setting total timing for me. I have a Snapon,Mac, and a OTC. Though more dough,The Snapon and Mac if damaged can be sent back for repairs.Something I have to do with the Mac(OOPS!) The Sears Craftsman is a good one too for the money. Yeah I damaged that one too...
Another is Fox Valley,though no longer made,Check ebay, swap meets,that I bought in the 70's has been dropped, stepped on, burnt by headers,Held together by tape and rubber bands is industructable and still working today.

Mac old school dial back,perfection every time.

That's what I like to hear. For many years Mac's lights were made by Actron. If you need a lead set we don't have them available any more but Actron may be able to help. Check their website. http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=259

My wife found it....Well, mentioned in my last post that my Mac light was missing after my move. My wife and I was cleaning out the garage and she opened a box and went to throw away my oldschool cassettes and what was under the cassette case.......my timing light!
:iconbigg: I'm not going to live this one down!

Attachments

• 20131109_132701.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 169
Tool man, I'm not sure of the year of my Mac Lite.I got mine from our local Mac man that was going belly up and was selling off what was on his truck about 5 years ago.No one took his place. I was thinking of sending it in to Mac.com for a repair. Not sure but may need a bulb. My fault as it was never used and the only time I ever tried it,, it wouldn't flash.Does Actron do repairs ?

Got a 20 yr old Snapon dial job collecting dust in the tool box. Mostly use ears with the old CJ7 258. Advance till spark knock and back off till it quits. Check with starter for kickback and timing light for reference and s&g.

if all else fails GO OLD SCHOOL use your ears & the seat of your pants lol

Tool man, I'm not sure of the year of my Mac Lite.I got mine from our local Mac man that was going belly up and was selling off what was on his truck about 5 years ago.No one took his place. I was thinking of sending it in to Mac.com for a repair. Not sure but may need a bulb. My fault as it was never used and the only time I ever tried it,, it wouldn't flash.Does Actron do repairs ?

Looks like they do according to their site. http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16250

if all else fails GO OLD SCHOOL use your ears & the seat of your pants lol

There are still people that do this.

SOme of the best.

Power brake it and twist the dist till it pings and back it off a touch.

I set it by ear..

Set it to 38 degrees at 1800 RPm and yer good to go.

Yup, heard all of those this season.

-
Back