Timing marker covered needs to be on other side what do i do?

-

J.B.

Reaction score
I have a 1973 340 i purchased that has 1969 internals and early timing cover that has the seperste pointer. My problem i have a 1971 Dodge Demon that has radiator and water pump outlet on passenger side effectively removing the timing pointer and covering the timing mark on external balancer and no indicator for timing now. Are there an options i can do for marker on other side of balancer? 1969 crank has tdc on left, 1970 and older crank has tdc on right so no matter what cant change out timing cover because balancer mark will be on otherside still. Was thinking of getting the timing tape and painting a pointer line for 0 10 before and 10 after any ideas out there

IMG_7915.jpeg

You can mark the balancer at TDC and will be able to read the timing but honestly the correct way to do it is to match the timing cover (early or late) to the balancer (early or late).

Use a timing tape and a pointer where you can see it. Just need to establish and set up while engine shortblock is accessible to verify TDC #1. On a race car I put the tape TDC marking where I can see it easily and get a light on it to verify quickly.

as you say the early cover uses a seperate pointer, this is attached to the the 2 bottom water pump bolts. make a new pointer attached the same way but with the 'point' where you need it. it's only a bit of sheet metal after all, once you've made a cardboard template it'll be easy to repeat in steel.
neil.

Could he just use a pointer attached to one of the cover bolts.. ?

Get a 70 up timing cover with timing marks on driver's side.

Then find TDC of the compression stroke of the #1 cyl and mark the balancer, a simple couple swipes on the balancer with a hacksaw blade then paint white.

Get a 70 up timing cover with timing marks on driver's side.

Then find TDC of the compression stroke of the #1 cyl and mark the balancer, a simple couple swipes on the balancer with a hacksaw blade then paint white.
I prefer yellow:thumbsup:

If you have both balancers you could marry them with a long piece of key stock and transfer the mark with a straight edge, provided they are the same diameter and intact. I am assuming the keyway is in the same position from crank to crank. I can not confirm that at this point.

Find TDC with a piston stop and move the mark anywhere you want where you can see it better. It's just a hash mark on the balancer and just a stationary timing pointer. You can move either or both anywhere you want.

Find TDC with a piston stop and move the mark anywhere you want where you can see it better. It's just a hash mark on the balancer and just a stationary timing pointer. You can move either or both anywhere you want.
Ya, that's been pretty well established Captain

that's an earlier timing cover, 69 will have the timing tab cast into it on the DS/LH side.

if the condition is unknown, it would be a smart idea to just go ahead and update it to the later passenger side. the covers are known to corrode at the waterpump and bolt holes over the years.

finding that you've got a leak after you've got it in the car would be a real kick in the sack, and that job sucks to do in-situ.

ETA: is that an early or poly cast iron cover? or is that just rust staining on the alum?

The mark will be a 90 degrees from the mark you have so just get a tape and put the 90 on your existing mark the zero will be the new mark. I have a clean correct cover if needed. $65.00 shipped

I have a 1973 340 i purchased that has 1969 internals and early timing cover that has the seperste pointer. My problem i have a 1971 Dodge Demon that has radiator and water pump outlet on passenger side effectively removing the timing pointer and covering the timing mark on external balancer and no indicator for timing now. Are there an options i can do for marker on other side of balancer? 1969 crank has tdc on left, 1970 and older crank has tdc on right so no matter what cant change out timing cover because balancer mark will be on otherside still. Was thinking of getting the timing tape and painting a pointer line for 0 10 before and 10 after any ideas out there

View attachment 1716181302
Have you decided what to do yet? There are a lot of suggestions here, some good and some kind of silly including favorite colors of paint to mark TDC. :poke: Probably your best bet would be the correct front cover that Oldmanmopar mentioned above. Do it once and do it right.

Just a fun fact. My old Dodge van had a hole in the top of bellhousing so you could time it from the rear with the doghouse cover off. Timing marks must have been on the torque converter.

The mark will be a 90 degrees from the mark you have so just get a tape and put the 90 on your existing mark the zero will be the new mark. I have a clean correct cover if needed. $65.00 shipped
Everything is brand new seals and everything so dont want to take off

-
Back