Timing Marks on Balancer

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
I have a 360 (74-79) that I did not build. It was in the car when I bought it and I'm having an issue with locating the correct timing marks on the balancer. When I rotate the engine to TDC (rotor pointing to #1 wire, piston at top) the marks are nowhere near the pointer. There are 2 or 3 marks on the balancer but the closest one is about 4" clockwise from the TDC pointer. Someone timed this motor when they built it but there is no mark where I think TDC is...so what could be going on here? BTW, the car runs fine, I just want to be sure it's set right...because tinkering.

TDC timing marks have been known to be off by approx 90*. Due to different year balancer installed on different year motor.
Find tdc #1 compression with piston stop. Then make new mark on balancer.
Crackedback has a good write up "hillbilly timing tape" do a search for it.

TDC timing marks have been known to be off by approx 90*. Due to different year balancer installed on different year motor.
Find tdc #1 compression with piston stop. Then make new mark on balancer.
Crackedback has a good write up "hillbilly timing tape" do a search for it.
OK, that's comforting. I'll search that one.

early balancers used an 11:00 TDC tab so they marked those balancers accordingly. Later balancers were marked to reflect the new driver side 1:00 cast timing marks as the water pump inlets changed sides to the passenger side. find your TDC and remark to your TDC tab (that you can put anywhere you want)

Get yourself a piston stop and check it. There is no other accurate way, if the engine is assembled, without "expensive" equipment. I made this one around 1972 and STILL HAVE IT

stop2-jpg.jpg

If you buy one make SURE you add a lock nut to immobilize the plunger. Remove battery ground, and no1 plug. "Wrench" the engine over until no1 is "down a ways."

Install the stop device, and carefully wrench the engine around until no1 stops against the device. Make an accurate, temporary mark onto the balancer under TDC

Now wrench the engine around the opposite direction, until the piston again stops against the device. Make a second temporary mark as before. Your true TDC is exactly halfway between the two marks.

there are no early balancers pre 1970 balancer that have are weight correctly for a 360 that 1st came available in 70 or 71.....

There is also the possibility that the outer ring of the balancer slipped, make sure the rubber is not all cracked or pushing out the front or back of the balancer. Balancer failure can be catastrophic.

As said, get the piston to true TDC either with the piston stop (& its procedure) or you can pull the pass valve cover & turn the dampener till both #6 intake/exhaust rocker arms are moveing & are at the same height (rockover) , go back & forth & hit the exact point & at that point see if you are at TDC on the dampener/timing tab. I'm thinking you are good there (dampener TDC) but we are missing something & this is a strange one. Keep us posted.

As said, get the piston to true TDC either with the piston stop (& its procedure) or you can pull the pass valve cover & turn the dampener till both #6 intake/exhaust rocker arms are moveing & are at the same height (rockover) , go back & forth & hit the exact point & at that point see if you are at TDC on the dampener/timing tab. I'm thinking you are good there (dampener TDC) but we are missing something & this is a strange one. Keep us posted.
You are assuming too much. What if the cam is installed wrong, for one?

You are assuming too much. What if the cam is installed wrong, for one?
it was running so the cam is correct & even it is advanced or retarded a few degrees there is enough of a "window" from the dia of the cam bearing oil feed passages that it will still oil at those points (I ain't had one not oil from this yet)

there are no early balancers pre 1970 balancer that have are weight correctly for a 360 that 1st came available in 70 or 71.....
Good catch, I glossed over the 360 in the OP. I hope his has a counterweight on it....

Which fender do you look over to see the timing marks?

If it's the pass side, you won't find a 360 balancer that will have a proper mark on it.

It does not look like that. It is an aftermarket piece.
OK, just make sure it has an obvious unsymmetrical look, or heavier side, to it, similar to what you see in the pix that were linked. (Which assumes it is still an external balance engine..) If not, then the wrong balancer may be on it.

-
Back