Tin Grill Paint Removal

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Picked up this grill for my uncles ‘68 that someone had blacked out years ago and it’s looking awful. Is there a paint remover spray or something similar you recommend to strip all this black off so I can start over? Thanks.

IMG_4383.jpeg

Hello all. Picked up this grill for my uncles ‘68 that someone had blacked out years ago and it’s looking awful. Is there a paint remover spray or something similar you recommend to strip all this black off so I can start over? Thanks.

View attachment 1716273746
Does it look brushed on or sprayed?

It looks like rattle can flat black. The car it came off of set outside under a tarp for several years.

It looks like rattle can flat black. The car it came off of set outside under a tarp for several years.

Try some paint thinner on a rag .

Do a small area to test first .

If this is a spray bomb paint, it should come off easily, although its going to take a fair bit of time to do with that particular grill.

Spray on Castrol super clean, let stand for 2 minutes. Immediately pressure wash it off.

Don't let the chemical sit on the aluminum for very long.

Bottom line is the metal underneath is aluminum.

Assuming you are not trying to maintain the OEM Argent paint and Bright Anodizing you can be aggressive. If you want to try to preserve the OEM finishes go very slow.

It is anodized aluminum so no you cannot be as aggressive as you want.

Oven clean will remove the anodizing won't it?

Bottom line is the metal underneath is aluminum.

Assuming you are not trying to maintain the OEM Argent paint and Bright Anodizing you can be aggressive. If you want to try to preserve the OEM finishes go very slow.
Thanks for the replies all! I had thought of paint thinner and the paint remover but hadn’t heard of oven cleaner for that purpose.

I knew it was aluminum under the paint but I was unsure about the original paint. So I guess what I’d say is I’m not trying to preserve the OEM finish but rather strip and replicate as close as possible. My plan was to tape off what stays aluminum and paint the black parts. So was this argent that was mentioned on the bottom part of the grille originally? (Circled here)

So I guess I can be aggressive if taking ALL the paint off, but I certainly don’t want to risk hurting the aluminum underneath so sounds like oven cleaner is out. So I may start with the paint thinner and then go to the paint remover if that doesn’t work.

IMG_4416.jpeg

Lacquer thinner will remove and not hurt anodizing. So will acetone
Just a "head's up".

Keep Lacquer thinner or Acetone away from anything plastic and do not let it any where near painted surfaces.

So was this argent that was mentioned on the bottom part of the grille originally? (Circled here)
Argent and it follows all the way around the entire opening and headlight bezels

Photos of 67 but is basically the same in 68.
Red Bright anodized
Green Argent
PXL_20240710_193542423~2.jpg
PXL_20240710_193605124~2.jpg

Argent and it follows all the way around the entire opening and headlight bezels

Photos of 67 but is basically the same in 68.
Red Bright anodized
Green Argent
View attachment 1716274476View attachment 1716274477
This is great! Thank you. I can do that, just a little more masking than I had hoped for. I even have some argent paint left over I think. Light argent I painted a Demon grill with and dark argent from a rallye wheel cap. This looks like the dark argent here.

I’m glad I asked before I started the job

The photo makes it look MUCH darker than it is. I would say it is light Argent

This photo is more true to color
PXL_20240711_034823957.jpg

This is a 69 headlight bezel (my 68 was stripped to the bright anodized Al)

PXL_20240711_035200475.jpg

Pull the grill before doing anything. They are easy to remove . Use the acetone and the spray paint should come off easy . Maybe use 0000 steel wool lightly .

The photo makes it look MUCH darker than it is. I would say it is light Argent

This photo is more true to colorView attachment 1716274581

This is a 69 headlight bezel (my 68 was stripped to the bright anodized Al)

View attachment 1716274583
Thanks again! So argent in the areas you highlighted here around the bottom and sides, but the center parts of the grill are just the bright aluminum correct?

IMG_4464.jpeg

Thanks for the help and advice all. Job is done. Far from perfect but much better than where it started.

IMG_4534.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

-
Back