VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is a stock hose for a 340/AC car, cut up and 1 1/2 pipe 90 degree elbow

PXL_20240321_171818308.jpg

17110417724363613479187135263737.jpg

a little paint, you'd never know
Im about utility and longevity, not shiny and new

i'd be worried about the hose jumping up off there if it's just them threads holding it on.

ain't enough paint to cover up that amount of sin, neither.

get you one of these instead...

instead of plumbing fitting i just had a length of exhaust pipe bent to what i needed when i put the big block in my 64 valiant. that was the days before the proper radiator could be bought easily.

Last edited:
Whatever works, I reckon.

Thanks, it's mocked up now, will wrap the threads with Teflon tape where the hose clamps on
that'll pretty much guarantee it'll slip right off. and probably at the best possible time too. like on 100+ degree day when you're running late to pick up your mother in law who already hates you, while making a left against traffic onto a frontage road that bad boy will let loose and slick down the rear tires and send ya nose first into the soft shoulder ditch in slow motion while you're all elbows at the wheel. so now you're stuck and none of them damn hillbillies with their raised pick-em-up trucks has a pull strap but they all stop to gawk at your car and tell you how their sisters boyfriends cousins best friend had one of them with a hemi and it was faster than polished steel, tell you what, and only Scooter Kenny with his big block Chevelle could run that thing, and everybody knows that old chevy could haul the mail. anyway, now you're super up about it because the tow truck keeps missing you, due to it being a frontage road and they think you're on the highway, and it's been like two hours and your phones dead so you just know by the time you drag this heap home that your mother in law is gonna hate you even more and you're gonna be in dutch with the old lady for sure and ain't no way you're gettin' laid in a month of sundays.

and that my friend, is why you need some kind of barb or lip on the pipe behind the clamp so that the hose don't jump off.

I could get a piece of pipe that is threaded only enough to screw into the elbow, the remaining piece non threaded, double clamped

Sounds like a lot of work for a "quick fix" never had trouble finding a radiator hose for any SB at the parts store...
As you can see it's an aftermarket rad, the bottom nipple is slanted 45 degrees upward. My buddy at NAPA said I could check out all the hoses to find one that fits.

-
Back