Tire pressure for a 1962 Valiant with 14" tires

-

Old Dodge Dude

Reaction score
Hi folks can anyone give me the correct psi for 14" tires. Do I go with 26 psi?.

Thanks much and have a great day eh

Does the tire say 26 psi minimum pressure on the side of it? These early a's came with biased ply, running radials, I usually read the tire to tell me.

I usually run my 225/60 R14s between 35 and 40.

You could always do a chalk test to get to the right pressure for your tire rim combo. (look it up on Youtube)

I run what the max the tire says on the sidewall, not what the car says. This always gives the best tread wear. If it rides a little rough, you can adjust from there.

I run 3/4 of the max the tire is rated for, cold. Gives a decent compromise between wear and ride.
Modern radial rated for 44 max, I run 32-35. 85lb truck tire, I run 65-70.

Since everyone is guessing,
My guess is that ;
1) the Ideal pressure will fall in the range of 26>30psi, and
2) For touring; the right pressure to run, is the one at which your tires last the longest, running the tread off more or less equally from side to side. From that Ideal setting you can add or subtract pressure to deal with other circumstances.
For example; In British Columbia, Canada; if zipping thru the mountains, I would pump it up, some 15/20 % for stability in the corners.
The Max tire pressure printed on the tire is at a specified load. IMO, it has nothing to do with what you need to run, unless you are already at the max loading.
For comparison;
On my 3650 pound (me in it) 360 equipped, 68 Barracuda are;
>On the front are 235/60-14s, on 7.5" wheels, running at 28(ambient). For long distance touring, up to 10% more, unless I'm on a fuel-economy mission.
>On the back are 295/50-15s, on 10"wheels, running at 24 psi, Those 10" wheels are a tad narrow, so 24 is what it takes to run them bald from side to side.

Last edited:
I run what the max the tire says on the sidewall, This always gives the best tread wear.
No, sir. Running max allowable pressure amounts to functionally overinflating the tires, and the result will be much faster and worse wear in the middle of the tread.

OP, if you want to be scientific about it, use chalk. If you can't be arsed, pick your favourite number between 32 and 35 and keep that number of PSI in all four tires; you won't be far off from optimal.

Does the tire say 26 psi minimum pressure on the side of it? These early a's came with biased ply, running radials, I usually read the tire to tell me.

I usually run my 225/60 R14s between 35 and 40.

You could always do a chalk test to get to the right pressure for your tire rim combo. (look it up on Youtube)
Thanks for the info

Woah, I’m not sure what to say.

I wonder if there is a tire manufacturer that states their tires should be inflated to the max sidewall pressure?

The max indicated sidewall pressure does not take into account the weight of the car, the characteristics of the car, what types of tires the car was designed for, etc.

No, sir. Running max allowable pressure amounts to functionally overinflating the tires, and the result will be much faster and worse wear in the middle of the tread.

OP, if you want to be scientific about it, use chalk. If you can't be arsed, pick your favourite number between 32 and 35 and keep that number of PSI in all four tires; you won't be far off from optimal.
Thanks, Dan! I've seen "the chalk method" mentioned several time, but that's something I've actually never done. I would just "guess" you color the tread with chalk and run over pavement to see the tire's contact patch, but I'm not sure. Can you expound on it?

-
Back