To cut the dash or not to cut the dash?

-

BlackBrick

The Cult Mechanicus
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a functional AM radio (original) in my dart and want to get a DIN sized radio into the car.

I am going to be doing some stuff to the dash, and have the perfect guy to call to cut the dash. So should I do it? I know this is more of a personal preferences, but I have seen plenty of both on the forums.

I know if I cut it, we will have to build a brace setup in the back to make sure the head unit doesn't tweak the dash.

I'm going to be pulling all of the plastic trim from the dash here soon to get rid of the wood grain look with some very nice gloss spray paint. Just trying to get my upcoming "no dollar" projects under way.

don't cut it up, you'll be looking to repair it down the road. If not you then somebody else will be some day

Most of the radios now a days have the mp3 hook up, so you can hook up in the glove box, or under the seat, and plug your mp3 in and have it beside you on the seat. If ya want to cut it, do yourself a favor and get another bezel before you do that.

for sure mp3 players and I pods are the way to go, you can hide the unit wherever you want...like the glove box or underneath or behind the dash then run the input cable wherever you want for your Ipod.

Thanks for the input guys. My buddy Joe and i have been planning to get a head unit installed, but couldn't decide what to do with it. I have never been a fan of cutting the dash, and never did it on my 71 Duster, but back then , the shaft style stereos were still made.

So was just chitchatting with my friend Joe, who is THE corporate installer for Audio Express (he does the display vehicles for shows like SEMA, etc) He said that we will just make a plastic glove box liner and then build one of these into it:

p120999000-F_test.jpeg

Details on this kit:

Dimensions:

Overall: W=9.985", H=3.484", D=9.197"; the height of the kit decreases from front to back. The front of the kit measures 3.484" tall and the back of the kit measures 2.596" tall.
Internal Compartment: W=8.534", H=2.516", D=7.511"
DIN Receiver Mounting Dimensions: W=7.202", H=2.123", D=7.493"; the receiver can have a maximum nose width of 7.684" and a maximum nose height of 3.334".
Shaft-style Receiver Mounting Dimensions: Nose Width=4.284", Nose Height=2.126", D=7.511", Shaft hole spacing range=4.707" to 6.235"

We are going to use a new glove box kit to make the template for a heavy (1/4 inch+) ABS plastic glove box liner.

He is also planning the sound system for the car, as this is his thing....lols, I am just tired of listening to the AM oldies station......

I was going to put my after market radio in my glove box too. But in order to get the glove box door shut i had to stick the radio so far back I could no longer controll my temp door for the heat. I would have to eaither set it on cold or full hot since I do drive the car on cooler nights as well as hot days that wasn't an option.

I didn't like the looks of the first one
So I rounded the corners like it better
still have alot of work left to do to it but you get the idea
This idea works if you have the room like I do

Attachments

• 1121101945a.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 1209101922.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 1209101922a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 276
Interesting question..... I guess if you are planning to sell the car or advertise the car as 1000% STOCK.... OR if you plan on building a BJ or mecums candidate then don't cut it. HOWEVER if you are building a street machine and changing the color of the car and changing the wheels of the car and the tires...etc etc etc...then WHY NOT HAVE A DECENT RADIO mounted in the dash where you can see it and use it?.....a few people do care about that most do not....most would rather have a good radio that they can actually HEAR above the modified exhaust......after traversing the Woodward cruise every year since it started.......I can pretty much say with a reasonable level of authority....there are FAR more cars out there with updated radio equipment than with the OE crap from back in the day...... again if you are going for originality and have stock tires wheels interior engine trans brakes etc etc etc etc...then leave it...else put in what makes you happy
my 2 cents

I cut a DIN hole in my dash. I mean, really, it's a '73 Scamp. Who's ever going to care if the dash isn't factory original lol. I wasn't about to reach across the car to fiddle with the stereo.

I cut a DIN hole in my dash. I mean, really, it's a '73 Scamp. Who's ever going to care if the dash isn't factory original lol. I wasn't about to reach across the car to fiddle with the stereo.

Amen. I struggled with the decision for a year. Finally I asked a friend who is real good at installing radios and he said, "Jeez Darrin, It's a 4dr Dart. He got the new Sony cd player in neat and straight and I've never looked back.

Stock???? What the hell is that??:toothy10::toothy10:
Andrew

Attachments

• dash blank 3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 221
dont cut I have two dashes that have been cut..... and it makes me sad :( lol

I could see if you had an original hemi cuda or stock 6-pack B body, 413 or 426 wedge car, but you don't and not every A body is as collectible as you may think.

We own A body Dusters, Darts, Valiants and we weld in frame connectors and roll cages because they are uni-bodies, we switch engines, transmissions, rear ends, add fuel cells, change out K-frames, add disc brakes just to compete in our world and someone says to you, don't cut the dash. Doesn't make much sense to me not to have exactly what you want as if down the road you're going to sell the stock dash board for more then a hundred bucks complete to someone who just bought a completely rusted out vehicle who wants to spend 20 grand to restore it so they can sell it for 1/2 the price.

You really got to look at the reality part of why you own this car, for me, its not to impress others on its originality, its too become part of me, to be my car :)

Whats it to you?

I used an underdash mount and then mouted my guage trio under that . . . looks pretty good. Everything can go back original with minimum work.

Are you interested in sending your orginal radio and have it converted to AM/FM? They can also add a jack for your MP3 player.

I don't see the problem with cutting a hole in the dash, I did......its not like these are million dollar cars or anything.

and why has no one mentioned the aftermarket factory style radios?

you can get 2 post aftermarket radios that fir in the factory hole in the dash and they have around 45-55 watts per channel in most of the units and they are AM/FM and they have built in MP3 plug ins in the back of the unit that you can then route the cable where ever you want.

I think some now come with USB plug ins on the back so not only will they play music off of your mp3's but will charge most of them also.

if I was worried about keeping the original look but with upgraded sound, that would be the route I would take

Some people are pickier than others. The more you customize your car, the harder it is to sell off and the more you may end up not liking it the older you get. I for one, have a huge pet peeve when it comes to cutting the dash. One of the best parts of owning and driving an old car is getting inside and just seeing all the classic pieces around you. Some people like to put in custom gauges, stereo's and their own bland customized touches to the interior. They might like it but when I look at it, the car no longer looks classic. It's just a plain steel interior with cheap gauges and a new cd player. Problem is that it's not stuff thats normally bolt in. If you want to fix the dash later on, you either have to weld it up and paint it inside the car...or you have to remove the windshield, remove the dash, fix the dash, paint the dash, install the dash and install the windshield. All for what....your aftermarket cd player that will be obsolete in 5 years? If you ask me, it's not worth it. Install it in the glove box, under the dash or under the seat.

-
Back