to much fluid?

-

jfive

Reaction score
ok, i have had my engine and trans out to do work on them, hell of a time getting them back in with the headers.......anyways i am at the point where i am filling fluids, sent trans to shop for rebuild and engine got a good draining as well. oil, water went in fine. but when i was adding trans fluid, car not running, after several quarts, around 7 it started gurgling a little and then fluid started leaking out between engine and trans.....any suggestions on what i did wrong? not running engine cause the fluid to just fill up the res to much or something? i was told trans was dyno-ed, (have the sheet) but they told me they drained the fluids as well, any help would be appreciated.

sorry just to make it clear to everyone, 1970 Dart Swinger 318/904

Last edited:
ok, i have had my engine and trans out to do work on them, hell of a time getting them back in with the headers.......anyways i am at the point where i am filling fluids, sent trans to shop for rebuild and engine got a good draining as well. oil, water went in fine. but when i was adding trans fluid, car not running, after several quarts, around 7 it started gurgling a little and then fluid started leaking out between engine and trans.....any suggestions on what i did wrong? not running engine cause the fluid to just fill up the res to much or something? i was told trans was dyno-ed, (have the sheet) but they told me they drained the fluids as well, any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like it was trying to vent itself until it started coming out the front seal. How much fluid leaked? Once you fire the car up and put it in neutral, the fluid will fill the converter and you should be fine. What size converter? With a deep pan and 8” converter, 7 quarts is usually enough. I typically start with 6 and then add but that’s just preference.

all stock, leaked maybe 1/2 quart. i am very hopeful to get it running today as i have been working on it since November......:rolleyes:, i will check it after it runs and see what the dipstick says. thanks for easing my mind a little, lol

Make sure you run it in Neutral, not in Park. Park will not pump fluid or give you an accurate reading, Neutral will.

The fluid came out the vent, not the front seal. Normal thing. You cannot fill it not running. First start of engine always in N not P.

Generally, the rule of thumb is to initially add 4 quarts of fluid then start the engine and let it idle in neutral with parking brake on. Add fluid until the fluid level comes up to ADD. Move the shifter through the gears to purge air from the various clutches/servos. Be sure the fluid is still at ADD or a bit above. Drive it around for a mile or so to warm the fluid, then recheck.

Sounds like you simply put in too much initially.

If trans was dyno'ed and drained, then the convertor was still full. It should only take 3-4 quarts to fill. The extra will puke out the vent.

I stand corrected on the pump seal. I’ve never had one puke out of the front pump vent before on a fill up so was hard for me to imagine fluid would ever get that high especially only 7 quarts. I’ve experienced all kinds of fun stuff with relocated vent (as lots of mopar enthusiasts have). But with a stock pan I can understand that the fluid would get high enough to come out of the vent. Im used to dealing with all deep pans and 7 quarts would never get it that high with a deep pan. I’ve seen front pump seals leak more than I have stock vents, hence my original comment. Either way, we all agree once he fires the car the fluid won’t be leaking anymore. So he will be good.

-
Back