To Sell Or Not To Sell

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
So going on two years i havn't been able to work on the slant car, and about the same amount of time i havn't been able to get any cash for the AFX project. I really want to build something, having 4 cars with one barely ( 73 swinger) needing some serious help in the future im thinking about consolidating. I love my AFX, its my first car, I cut my teeth into the mopar world with it, i love her. I have my 68 slant car, the family that goes with the slant stuff is unparalleled, besides just my love of the 6's. I have my 240z sitting in the back and ive always wanted it to be my daily but it needs a full do over, not something im afraid of.

Im thinking about selling the complete AFX project, car, parts, motor, everything. Also the 68 dart with all the parts with the car. With this i can completely build my Z and put a new roof on my house which it badly needs. I have been trying to find new work, currently working two slow jobs that i dont love doing anymore, and have almost a dozen resume's out with nothing for 2 weeks.

I dont want to, it will crush me to sell them (except the 73) but doing nothing with everything is just old... On top of that i need a reliable daily with good mpg and a soul so the commuters are out, Z is in. Also what they are worth is kinda up in the air, the 68 dart i easily have 15 grand into including the car, yes i'll eat some but for someone who wants a slant car its 75% sorted. The AFX has easily 20K in chassis labor and another 15K in the motor not even including the car...

im not looking for a pity party or anything i guess im thinkin out loud.

Be prepared to accept a huge loss IF you really want to sell.

You need to research the real world market before you start trying to sell.

Well thats true, the flip side is it cost what it costs to have stuff done, parts cost what they cost. Just because your selling it dosn't make it any less worth than having it done, not saying i think im getting ALL my money or time spent out, never will.

Look around. No one is going to give a premium price for an unfinished product. It is a sad truth.

be damn lucky to get .50 on the dollar....simple fact of life.....and then you will be waiting for the person that is interested in them. I have tossed around the idea of selling the chopper & the Dart....will lose my shirt on both of them and never be able to replace them so decided against it. Dart very well may sit for another 10 years before I get to it......it is what it is....

Kid, I've been in your situation several times in MY life. This is gonna be harsh,,
It's just metal, plastic and rubber. To 90% of the people out there it's just junk.
Inkjunkie is right, You know what it is worth,The buying public don't give a rats *** what you think.Every time I sell, The first thing that comes to my mind is"No matter what I get for it, I will never be able to replace it for that money".You know the cars from my past, You see the junk that I'm driving now. You gotta do what is best for you.You are young, and just starting out. You have a lovely new wife and a home that should come first. Cars are just cars. There will be others,GET OVER IT !!!.
I know that I'm being a bit of a father figure here. Out there most will think I'm just being a tool. You know me,, I hope you know what I'm trying to say.Want someone to help you figure out the meaning of LIFE? Call me , maybe together we can try to figure it out. Just being your friend. (I did say I was gonna be harsh)

If money is that tight I would sell at least 1 of them. Be prepared to lose your tail right now though. Most people are still in the same shape as you and project cars are selling on the cheap.

Toys are toys. Nothing that can't be replaced. 4 of them with no money to work on any of them makes them pretty useless to me. Then the house needs a roof bad too. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Family and a place to live should come first. Liquidate down to one toy and maybe you can put the roof on and have money left to play with that one toy.

Like stated though. Expect to lose quite a bit of money on them. It is what it is. Sometimes ya have to take a couple steps back before you can take any steps forward.

Have a buddy with a similar bike as mine. Kit cost 15k or so in 06. By the time all was said and done out the door price was close to 20k. Jeff put about 1000 miles on the bike and came to the conclusion that he just was not able to physically ride anymore. Tried to sell it. Started at 13k, dropping $500 a month for a year. Not one hit, even at 7k. Decided to keep it with the hopes that the planned surgery after retiring was going to change things a bit. I understand what a few others have said....and agree with it. But down the road, when your life is in more in order, what is it going to cost to replace any particular car? Here comes the ***** of the motor vehicle hobby.....Will you be able to afford to buy another ride and all the parts for it?

As to your job problem you may as well get used to it. Very few folks can say they really love there job....and mean it. Sure, after saying this there will no doubt be several folks that will talk about how great there job is etc but the fact is they are in the minority....And these folks very well may be able to take damn near any job on the planet and like it....because that is just the way they are.

For me I hated every job I had. It was not the work.....nor the pay....it was I truly hated 99% of the folk around me. For 7-8 years my "job" in the USPS put me alone, minus the guy that worked on the side of the operation.....one of them is/was a best friend. When this job got abolished and I ended back up in 010, tossed in a group of 65 or so people I truly hated going to work. At least 4x a month I would make the 29 mile drive to the place, be sitting out in the parking lot and call in sick....this never happened when I had my solo job. Ed, I wish you the very best in what ever you decide to do...just remember, there are consequences for everything you do....

put it up for sale you will get a lot of info quickly on what the market thinks they are worth.
good luck in your decision ,Lawrence

95 % of the time, a car that is restored/partially restored will always be sold at a loss. Loss of time and money. That is why it is cheaper to buy one already done than to build it yourself. Unfortunetly, many enjoy the restoration and have to take the beaten when they sell. Only about 5 % are able to keep from loosing if the car is bought at an outright steal to begin with, and you are able to do most of the work yourself. In fact, some are able to turn a nice profit! Anyways, bottom line is priority, and keeping your wifes head dry and tummy full is more important than ANY slant six.... cut down to one toy car and see if the current condition looks better...

Each person here has a completely different circumstance and goal when it comes to selling a car. You have to do what
's right for you, you're needs, and your circumstance, no matter what others here might think, say, or even advise.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have been trying to find new work, currently working two slow jobs that i dont love doing anymore, and have almost a dozen resume's out with nothing for 2 weeks.

If you could fix this part, the rest will fall in place for you. Good Luck with your decisions :thumbup:

Resumes out for two weeks and no reply? This is the part you base it on? OK, I really get you have too many projects. (seems like everything I own is a project). Work the gigs you have going and keep trying for the job that you think will make you happy or put your family in a better place. You don't even want to know how long it took me to get out of the hole I was in and into the job that should take me to retirement.

Kid, May I ask, What kind of job are you looking for ?

An old rule of them was to plan on spending one month of job searching for every $10,000 of annual income you're looking for.

Wow thanks for ALL the responses!
First let me state i dont hate doing this, i just find i dont want to do it at home after doing it all day, its still my passion. Im looking for another line of work to better fund what i need to do and maybe have a little more on the side.

Darter, you know i dont take things personally, thanks for your post. Im not to the point where im getting desperate to keep the home and wife happy, but i dont have anything extra for sure. I have been looking into electrical and technology career's, i have alot of 12v and computer experiance that i think could be useful. Soemthing else i see in this field is people work their whole lives and they cant retire, they are now old and wore out with nothing really to show for it. I dont want that.

Frankie, thanks for the tip on time vs pay. I didn't/dont expect to have a new job in a week, but i figured at least one would respond saying, sorry the position is gone, you dont have enough experience, anything! Ive put in for jobs from security guards to building fish tanks (another hobby of mine), welding jobs and home electronics (A/V installs).

V Dart may have my best option, put them up in a couple of places and see what i get.

That's cool, A friend of mine that I went to automotive school with is a electrician up in Montana. Still plays with cars, but didn't want to do it for a living.
When I was just about your age I gave up cars as a career and worked for 23 years in the building and farming industry.

Wow, I've also been your exact same predicament, being "project-heavy" and "wallet-light", which I am even now. After much pondering, I came to the conclusion that if you can keep only 1 car, you still need to be thankful for that! But!......there are cars that I own that need a total resto and are probably worth very little (even tho' they're staright and rust-free desert cars) and I would rather just let them sit, rather than let them go.

Almost everything is crazy cheap right now. Since you decided to go "whole hog" on that '68 chassis, I wouldn't sell it whatsoever, unless you're absolutely painted in a corner and have to.

Dont know if your married, have kids? If you are single I would go to work on the road make some cash buy a gas getter and save the toys if there paid for. I hear of so many people that had to sell there projects and never got them back.

Thank god I'm not in your position because I always said I would never sell any of my toys. I'm 40 years old and have done pretty good so far, married with two kids I have seen some very hard times. Havent been able to race for two years, got the motor on the stand, new race car, fresh paint and chasis but it isnt going to happen for another year or two. How ever it works out I wish you the best.

Buy a cheap late model for a daily hack, the 240 will cost you money and time to build and will not be that cheap to run, they are a collector car too now. Work out which project you really want to build and focus on that. Sell some other parts/engine cars if you really need the cash. Most of us can say we wish we had kept this or that but at the end of the day you move on and can always come back to if if you really want to.

Buy a cheap late model for a daily hack, the 240 will cost you money and time to build and will not be that cheap to run, they are a collector car too now. Work out which project you really want to build and focus on that. Sell some other parts/engine cars if you really need the cash. Most of us can say we wish we had kept this or that but at the end of the day you move on and can always come back to if if you really want to.

I get good mpg and have never had an issue with the swinger, so ditching it for something unknown and harder to work on isn't worth it to me. Yes the Z is a "collectors car" but so is my 68 and 65. I dont do "collector cars", im swapping in a new engine and drivetrain out of a nissian skyline, 330hp and 30mpg. Yes it will cost me money and time but i'll have a completed project and an awesome daily driver. Nothing is in stone

Ed, with your automotive education background, have you ever thought of being an automotive mechanics instructor? Maybe not the most lucrative in the world, but I bet you'd be happy.

-
Back