To separate or not to separate

-

Longroof66

Reaction score
I am assuming that I can either grind or drill the rivets in order to separate the sheet metal from the aluminum and when I'm finished restoring both parts I can simply rivet them back together???
20210122_115558.jpg
20210122_115541.jpg
20210122_114821.jpg

Yes, you can rivet the pieces back together but I would make sure to try to stay very close to the original size & type of rivet. (Steel or aluminum) because dissimilar metals will react to one another.

Yes, you can rivet the pieces back together but I would make sure to try to stay very close to the original size & type of rivet. (Steel or aluminum) because dissimilar metals will react to one another.
thank you for the response. I had wondered about the dissimilar metals. The rivets appear to be Steel. So I'll try my best to stay as close to original as possible. Thanks again.

If the factory rivets were steel, that's what I would use for reassembly. For added protection, use some "no ox" between the steel & aluminum to stop oxidation. Just remember, a little of this product goes a "long" way. Ask me how I know this. LOL

If the factory rivets were steel, that's what I would use for reassembly. For added protection, use some "no ox" between the steel & aluminum to stop oxidation. Just remember, a little of this product goes a "long" way. Ask me how I know this. LOL
Well you've got me there, I don't know what no ox is and I'll bite, how is it that you know to use it sparingly

As it was first explained to me, put one drop of anti seize on a kids head at a birthday party, and they'll all be silver in ten minutes.

You can use paint or even grease if you have to.

No ox, no oxide between dissimilar metals. Also called Nolox, I forget who some of the manufacturers are. I'll dig up one of the containers /i have & let you know who makes it. Made by Sanchem;

NOOXID-ASpecial_2.jpg

-
Back