To Tint, or not to Tint?

-
momoparman, that is a beautiful bakkaruda you got there! down here in South Texas practically everybody has their windows tinted. Without it even with your AC blowing wide open the heat from the rays coming thru the windows burns the crap out of you. With tint you can actually turn the AC down quite a bit and it still stays cool inside. Hell, all of the SAPD cars and Highway patrol vehicles are tinted. I have the windows of my Peterbilt's tinted!
The cop cars here in GA have limo tint even on the windshields up here. And here's a rule of thumb with tint in GA, you can't be ticketed if it is an overcast day. The meter doesnt read right unless it is sunny.:toothy10:

Thanks...

I concur with the fact that many cop cars on the highways have tint.
The benefits of having tint on your windows speak for themselves.

My buddy Ron tints all the sheriffs and cops in Blair, Omaha and surrounding areas....he's been tinting for over 30 years.
He's talked to them at length about tint and how they deal with people that appear to have overly darkened windows.

People don't usually get harassed about tint unless they are already breaking the law doing something else and then being rude or disrespectful with us.....those are the cops words not mine

I also agree that blacked out limo style tinted windows are going to get you noticed..

I digress......

Mop

I have also tinted all my cars since the mid '80s and only twice had any trouble. Once I got pulled over for speeding and the officer really, really wanted to give me something else. I had insurance -check, had mufflers - check, wanted to check my tint, but he didn't have a meter, so he gave me a warning for the tint (ticket for the speeding). I knew it was dark and too far down the windshield, so I took it off the windshield, no problems. The other problem was my '85 Ramcharger. I tinted the windows pretty dark, and used the same tint front and back. The "kind of dark" tint over the factory tint in the back made it really hard to see out of at night, by kind of hard, I mean impossible. Never got pulled over in it.

I think it depends on the car.. resto's = no tint.. resto-mod tint = please tint! Pro touring cars look great tinted..

If your muscle car has a little more modern feel... then I say tint it up!

Tint!!! A see threw tint! You won't get pulled over, at least "not for the tint". It will save the interior from sun rays and keeps your car cooler or "Kool", it allows people admiring still to go on "ego", and gives the car a little more class, plus keeps you safe. So be it!

I think tint really improves the apearance of any car by making it look less cluttered. When the original shape is designed (in clay) the windows are not see-through and are part of the design, and like a previous poster said, all modern cars have the windows tinted in ads and comercials. That said, I also think tint really ads another dimenson to the appearance of a car, especially if it is black or has a black stripe (like the OP's)

I had all my windows tinted on the swinger including the windshield and I love it. Especially in the summer time here in the desert. I drive my car all the time and haven't had one incident with the cops for dark tint.

Attachments

• 0318001222.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG00122-20101125-2228.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 130
Cant wait to do mine black. Sorry Dan different strokes for different folks. I liked the way the 63 chevy panel called bad news looked. It was a revell model i believe. Orange and blacked out windows. I am going as dark as i can legally on this. Think it will look ok?

Attachments

• Copy (2) of coronet in garage 021 (Large).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 132
  • Copy (2) of coronet in garage 008 (Large).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 131
love your ride too. Mines a lot further along than the pics. just got to scoop the hood and finish dash wiring and headliner

Wow, good looking cars guys! Daredevil, badass coronet. 8) So im guessing you guys live in states where its legal to tint the windshield? In GA, only the cops here can do it, kinda sucks

Man, I didn't expect this kind of response when I started this thread! I love this site!

In regards to the "ghetto thugs" argument: there is a substantial difference between putting 20% tint on a car to cut down on glare and heat, and 50+% to make it impossible to see into the car.

Just about everybody here in South Louisiana has LEGAL tint for the above mentioned reasons. The ones with illegal tint are the ones the cops pick on.

And I plan on getting it done at a local tint shop. $149 for a two-door car and 100% legal.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind. I didn't want to be the only fool tinting one of these old A-bodies.

i see Im a little late on this subject, but Ill throw my 2 pennies in anyway. i bought my car 14 years ago, already had the tint on it, I never plan to take it off, I like the way it looks. In those 14 years, I have never been pulled over for the tint.
I believe tinting is like ..... stock wheels vs after market wheels....... hemi scoop vs raisin brand hood ..( two scoops )..... painted bumpers vs chrome.... This IS a great site, You asked for opinions, and ya got them.... my point is.. you do what you like, thats what its all about ...... be sure to post your car with the tint.

i see Im a little late on this subject, but Ill throw my 2 pennies in anyway. i bought my car 14 years ago, already had the tint on it, I never plan to take it off, I like the way it looks. In those 14 years, I have never been pulled over for the tint.
I believe tinting is like ..... stock wheels vs after market wheels....... hemi scoop vs raisin brand hood ..( two scoops )..... painted bumpers vs chrome.... This IS a great site, You asked for opinions, and ya got them.... my point is.. you do what you like, thats what its all about ...... be sure to post your car with the tint.

Be sure to post your car without the tint.....8)

Man, I didn't expect this kind of response when I started this thread! I love this site!

In regards to the "ghetto thugs" argument: there is a substantial difference between putting 20% tint on a car to cut down on glare and heat, and 50+% to make it impossible to see into the car.

Just about everybody here in South Louisiana has LEGAL tint for the above mentioned reasons. The ones with illegal tint are the ones the cops pick on.

And I plan on getting it done at a local tint shop. $149 for a two-door car and 100% legal.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind. I didn't want to be the only fool tinting one of these old A-bodies.

That purple bad boy is gonna look great with tinted windows...also fyi tint is rated on percent of light filtered.....as in how much light gets through the tint.

35% is lighter than 20% which is lighter than 5% which is limo tint.

Most cars have 20-35%. Usually 20% on back and rear windows and 35% on the front side windows. That is legal in most states. I will mention that it does not look as good when you mix tint so go 35% all the way or 20% all the way.

Good luck.

Mop

Also make sure they use Lumar film.....it's the best tint on the market and will not fade or turn purple like the cheaper stuff.

mop

I don't think it is legal here..it is a cop thing..however, I have only once witnessed a cal over for tinting.

Do you also do the windshield..and how do you see at night ?

Thanks
Grassy

I don't think it is legal here..it is a cop thing..however, I have only once witnessed a cal over for tinting.

Do you also do the windshield..and how do you see at night ?

Thanks
Grassy

Windshield is a no no. You can do a strip down the marker lines that are on the top portion of the windshield.

Mine is fully tinted at 35%....and I use my eyes to see at night...I just don't wear my sunglasses. 8)

Mop

Thanks. I used to have a strip on the top of my work truck's windshield..made it a bugger to see the green light in an interection. I think the cops don't like the tint because they cannot see the occupants in the car whe they pull them over.

Please show us what you car looks like after tinting.

Tanks
Grassy

I'm a fan of tinted windows...it cools the car off, cuts down on the glare, and keeps the sun out of my babies' eyes. However, I don't know if tinting the windows on this car would look right. I can't recall ever seeing any classic muscle with tinted windows.

Any input?

One thing to keep in mind. Tinted windows are great, but if you leave it parked with the windows up plan on hand prints on the windows as people want to look inside the press there hands against the window.

I had the windows tinted on my Prowler before bringing it home from the dealer, yeah looks great but I have had lots of hand prints over the years.

By the way...most people leave all the windows down at cruise nights and car shows...keeps the hand prints down to a minimum.....:-D

35% on the windshield by the way.

Mop

Attachments

• DSC05145.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 116
-
Back